Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1887 11 November

Tuesday 1 November 1887

The Volkstem has an account of a gun accident which happened about a fortnight ago in the Middelburg district. Two young men, JOOSTE and VAN JAARSVELD, were out shooting when one of them wounded a buck. They followed the animal, and on finding it, one of them placed his loaded gun on the hind feet of the buck, while the other proceeded to kill it by sticking a knife into its brain from behind its head. The buck kicked, and its feet coming in contact with the trigger, the latter exploded, and VAN JAARSVELD received the charge through his body, causing death soon afterwards.

Thursday 3 November 1887

Nov 1st at Commemoration Wesleyan Church, Grahamstown, by the Rev Fred’k Mason, assisted by the Rev. W.C. HOLDEN (uncle of the bride), the Rev. Robt. F. APPLEBE, of Mafeking, Bechuanaland, son of Benjamin APPLEBE Esq, Ballineen, Co. Cork, Ireland, to Fanny Louisa (Louie) youngest daughter of John HOLDEN Esq, J.P. of Folkestone, England.

Thursday 10 November 1887

BIRTH on the 22nd October, at Maraisburg, the wife of Laurie S. WRIGHT of a son.

A woman named MALONEY, while under the influence of drink, is reported to have made an attempt to drown her child on Wednesday by throwing it into the river. It was carried down for a considerable distance, but was fortunately rescued by some people who had witnessed the occurrence.

At Bathurst on Wednesday morning Police Constable ARNOLD discovered that one of his children, aged 3 years and 11 months, was missing. A man named LEIGH had been offloading forage some time previously, and it was supposed the child had gone off in his wagon. When questioned LEIGH stated that such was not the case, but suggested that the youngster might have fallen into the well. A search was made in that direction, and a rope having been attached to the person of Harry SKEA, he promptly descended, and succeeded in finding the body of the child. Life was extinct, the body having apparently been in the water for about two hours. No explanation can be given as to how the accident happened.

Saturday 12 November 1887

In the Estate of the late James MILNE
All persons claiming to be Creditors in this Estate are required to send in their claims within six weeks from date, and all persons indebted to the said Estate are requested to settle their Accounts within the same period, at the residence Napier-street.
Margaret MILNE, Executrix Dative
Grahamstown, 29th Sept. 1887

DIED at his house in Somerset-street, Grahamstown, on the 11th November, the Rev. Jno. EDWARDS, Wesleyan Minister, in his 84th year.
The Funeral will proceed from the Residence at 9 o’clock on Sunday morning next.

The Rev. Jno. EDWARDS, so well and widely known in this Colony, passed away to his rest about 7 o’clock yesterday morning. He has been ill for some time, and for the last few weeks but little hope was entertained of his recovery. He was in his 84th year, and had been for 57 years in the ministry of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. During his illness he had the constant attention of several members of his family, who remained with him to the end. He had a large circle of friends in various parts of the Colony, who will miss his cheerful presence and lovingly cherish his memory. A memorial service in reference to the deceased will. We learn, shortly be held, when we shall have the opportunity to furnish a more extended notice of his life.

Tuesday 15 November 1887

DIED at his house in Somerset-street, Grahamstown, on the 11th November, the Rev. Jno. EDWARDS, Wesleyan Minister, in his 84th year.
The Widow of the late Rev. John EDWARDS and his Children desire publicly to thank Dr. FLIGG for his unremitting kindness, care and attention during the illness of their late Father, and also to his numerous friends.
Grahamstown, Nov 14th 1887

Mr. H.P.C. EVANS, Standard Bank, contemplates matrimony. He leaves tonight for Cradock, where tomorrow the ceremony will take place.

Thursday 17 November 1887

BIRTH at Grahamstown on Sunday the 13th November 1887, the wife of W.H.S. BELL, of Grahamstown, of a son.

The Cape Argus gives the following: A most gross outrage was perpetrated at Maitland on Saturday morning. A little girl, nine years of age, named Laura THOMPSON, had been sent by her mother to fetch a cow which was grazing at some distance from her home. The child had found the cow, and was returning when a coloured youth of about nineteen, named John WILLIAMS, seized the child and outraged her. The child was soon afterwards found, and taken to her home, where she lies in a very critical condition. Information was at once given to Inspector GOULD, and that officer, with his well-known energy, soon had the villain safely locked up in the Woodstock police station. WILLIAMS will be brought before Mr. J.M. CROSBY R.M. this morning, but it is probable that the case will have to be postponed for the attendance of the child.

Saturday 19 November 1887

MARRIED at St.Peter’s Church, Cradock, on the 16th November 1887, by the Rev. W.C. Wallis MA, Harry Percy Cragg, youngest son of Mr. John EVANS, Oatlands, Grahamstown, to Grace, youngest daughter of Mr. Hugh DAVIES, Cradock.

On Wednesday last in the English Church, Cradock, Mr. Harry P.C. EVANS, teller of the Standard Bank here, was married to Miss Grace DAVIES of Cradock, and formerly of Grahamstown. The Church was crowded with visitors who had assembled to witness the ceremony. The bride was dressed in a beautiful cream-coloured cashmere, and looked very charming. The happy couple left the same day for Somerset East, where they will spend their honeymoon, and lots of friends met at the station to see them off and wish them good speed.

Tuesday 22 November 1887

A memorial service was held at Commemoration on Sunday morning last in connection with the death of the late Rev. J. EDWARDS. The sermon was preached by the Rev. F. MASON, Chairman of the District, from the text Matt. xxx 3. The Rev. C. HOLDEN, an old Ministerial friend of the deceased, read a short biographical sketch, stating that Mr. EDWARDS was born in 1804 in Bridford in Devonshire. He became a decided Christian in early life, and was admitted into the membership of the Methodist Church in the year 1820, being then about 16 years of age. Three years later he became a Local Preacher, and in this capacity did much faithful work, including a good deal of journeying from village to village. He had much opposition to encounter, but by his Christianity, consistency and wise firmness he lived that down. It was in 1828 that he was induced to offer himself for the regular Ministry, and was accepted, his destination being the Mission work. He was ordained in City-road Church, London on November 17th 1831, and shortly after embarked with his wife, and some others of a Missionary party, in the Caledonian for Algoa Bay. They had a tedious and uncomfortable voyage of three months. Mr. EDWARDS’s first station was Buchnap in the Baralong country, not far from the present town of Mafeking. The journey thither can now be accomplished in a week, but in those days it took two months, by bullock wagon. Here he remained some years. An interesting account of his work in that country is given in the autobiography which Mr. EDWARDS published some years ago. On his return to the Colony in 1839, which was rendered necessary by Mrs. EDWARDS’s illness, Mr. EDWARDS was appointed to Port Elizabeth to commence Methodist operations there; and from that time to the close of his life he laboured in Colonial Circuits. He had a hopeful and enterprising spirit, not easily discouraged by difficulties, and the traces of his work are left in several Methodist Circuits which he was the means of originating. Of these Graaffreinet was the latest, and the work there, now thoroughly established and successful, was commenced and maintained by Mr. EDWARDS, when even the Missionary Committee were disposed to withdraw from it as unlikely to succeed. Mr. EDWARDS was abundant in labours, both in preaching and in pastoral visitation. His cheerful piety often encouraged the sick and the downcast, and his unblemished life was a powerful witness for the religion he professed. Many Colonists in all parts of the Eastern Province have reason to bless his memory. In 1877 he retired, through infirmity, from circuit labour, and took up his abode in Grahamstown, where however he was always active in the work of a Minister and Pastor, almost to his life end. In his last and fatal illness he suffered much pain, but bore all with patient and bright resignation. He came to his grave in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh in its season – leaving to his sorrowing friends and kindred the consoling memory of a holy and useful life, and the confidence that he has reached the Paradise of happy souls.

Tuesday 29 November 1887

BIRTH at Thorndon, Wilson’s Party, on the 8th November, the wife of C. PURDON of a daughter

Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:319
So far this week:So far this week:4074
currently online: 19