Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1887 12 December

Tuesday 6 December 1887

Mr. KRUGER of Waaikraal, Albert Division, is reported to have died under painful circumstances. He had what appeared to be an ordinary pimple upon his nose. His wife pricked it with a pin to take it off. Erysipelas set in and the following day he died.

The unfortunate man Albert ROWLAND, who was found in a dying state in Mr. DAVID’s stable on Sunday morning, was, we (Watchman) are informed, drinking with some others on the previous evening, and wagers were laid as to the quantity of “Cape Smoke” he could stand. His desire to act the part of a devotee of Bacchus cost him his life.

Three years ago a child of the Rev. P. DAVIDSON was stolen from the house of the Rev. Mr. [SHUSTER], Presbyterian Minister at the Mancazana. No trace has been found of the child till the other day, when a native confessed to having murdered the child on the day when he was missed, and thrown the body into a crevice. The native and his wife were arrested, and the preliminary examination was held on Monday last.

Saturday 10 December 1887

December 7th at the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Fort Peddie, by the father of the bride, the Rev. Charles S. LUCAS, eldest son of Mr. C.K. LUCAS of Dover, England, to Louisa Lardner (Louie), daughter of the Rev. E. GEDYE of Fort Peddie.

We hear that Mr. W.G. WEBB of this neighbourhood was married to Miss E. SHORT, daughter of the late Jno. SHORT Esq. of Kingwilliamstown. The ceremony took place at All Saints Church. No particulars have been forwarded to us. Mr. WEBB’s numerous friends here will join with us in congratulating him, and wishing every conceivable happiness to the young couple.

During a heavy thunderstorm on Friday week, Mrs. George McCALLAGAN was struck by lightning and killed on the spot, on the farm [Saymans]-kraal, about twelve miles from Dordrecht. She was grinding coffee in an outhouse at the time. A small child in the room was stunned by the shock, but afterwards recovered. Deceased had been blind for some time previous; and had (the Guardian hears) a presentiment that she would be killed by lightning. Just before the storm commenced she spoke about it, and gave directions in reference to her children in the event of her death. On the same day, and at Mr. L. CLOETE’s farm Cloverhill, two horses grazing in the veld were killed by lightning.

The village of Peddie was quite lively for an hour this morning, everybody having turned out to witness the marriage of the Rev. C.S. LUCAS, the respected young Minister of the English community in the Division. The bride was Louie, the daughter of the Superintendent Minister, the Rev. E. GEDYE; who himself both gave away and married his daughter to Mr. LUCAS, there being a crowded congregation present to witness the ceremony and to offer their congratulations to the happy couple.
The bride was suitably attired in cream lace and orange blossom. As to the costumes of the bridesmaids – Miss M. GEDYE and Miss GREY, of Cradock, it is beyond the powers of a lonely bachelor to describe, and my fair readers must supply by imagination that which my pen fails to delineate. The groomsmen were two brothers of the bride, Messrs. G. and A.R. GEDYE.
The whole went off with éclat, and the party, which was a quiet family gathering, returned to the Mission Station for the usual festivities, after which bride and bridegroom left for a few days’ tour in the Katberg. May they enjoy and live to realise every conjugal blessing.

Thursday 15 December 1887

Married at All Saints Church, Kingwilliamstown, on the 6th inst, William G. WEBB, second son of Jno. WEBB, Grahamstown, to Ethel E. SHORT, daughter of the late Jno. SHORT, Kingwilliamstown. No cards.

The Northern Post regrets to hear of the deaths by lightning in the storm of Tuesday of Mr. Andries BOTHMA, a young farmer in this district. Full particulars will be given in our next issue. During the same storm a Kafir was also killed by lightning on Mr. C. ROBBERTS’ farm Rietvley.

Tuesday 20 December 1887

Another old Grahamstown face is gone from our midst, and there is no one out of the very many friends of Mr. Frederick I’ONS who was not sincerely grieved to hear that the venerable old gentleman had passed away. It was evident for some time that the end was approaching, as for the last two months he had been seriously ill, and it was certain he could never be himself again, even if he recovered temporarily. His death occurred at about half past seven on Sunday morning, and the funeral took place yesterday. Mr. I’ONS’s artistic works have tended to confer on him a far more than local celebrity, and his productions have always secured their full need of recognition in Colonial collections. One son remains dangerously ill at Home, but numerous grandchildren are left to lament their bereavement. No stereotyped press formula can be employed to express the universal sentiment of regret for the loss the town has sustained in Mr. I’ONS, or for the sympathy far and wide extended to those who are left.

DIED on Sunday December 18, Mary Katherine DE ROBECK, widow of Capt. Hastings S. John DE ROBECK RN, and eldest daughter of Dr. W. Guybon ATHERSTONE, in her 47th year. Deeply regretted.

Tuesday 27 December 1887

The man-eating tiger has been captured and can be seen daily at Mr. IRVING’s store, High-street. Admission Sixpence.
The Proprietor, Mr. E. LLOYD, has spared no expense for the safety of both tiger and onlookers.

Saturday 31 December 1887

BIRTH on Christmas Day, Mrs. Hugh HUNTLY of a son.

About eight or nine days ago (says the Friend) the body of a man named John BISSET, of Riverton, was found with the throat cut and several stabs about the body, on a small kopje, between Riverton and Hebron. Although every inquiry has been made, no evidence whatever has yet been discovered as to the perpetrator of what is believed to have been a foul murder.

On Monday evening (reports the D.F. Express) Mr. J. DURWARD met with a sad and fatal accident. It seems that the unfortunate gentleman, who had held a prominent position in Kimberley, was riding a restive horse when the animal bolted and threw him. Concussion of the brain ensued, and Mr. DURWARD, who never recovered consciousness, expired in the Kimberley Hospital early yesterday morning.

A most heartrending accident occurred on Thursday last at Port Alfred. Two gentlemen, named ERASMUS and VENTNOR, went together to bathe, and having divested themselves of their clothing, entered the water on the East side of the pier. They went out beyond their depth (both being powerful swimmers) for the purpose of getting over the breakers. Mr. EDKINS, of Kimberley, who is residing at the Kowie at present, went in shortly afterwards, and followed the two above-named gentlemen. He went in till he was up to his neck, and had great difficulty in getting to the shore again, and concluded from this that the two others would also experience difficulty in reaching the shore. As the men did not return, an alarm was given, when it was found that no hope could be entertained of saving them. The two bodies were seen floating together at the river’s mouth. The body of Mr. ERASMUS was washed ashore shortly afterwards; but there are grave doubts as to the recovery of Mr. VENTNOR’s body. Mr. ERASMUS was 60 years of age, a married man, and leaves a family of five to mourn his loss, while Mr. VENTNR, who is a son-in-law of the other unfortunate gentleman, also leaves a family. Both gentlemen with their families had gone to Port Alfred to enjoy a few weeks’ holiday; and had taken Mr. COPELAND’s house as a temporary residence. We heartily sympathise with their families who, as can readily be understood, were in a sad state when they learned the result of the accident, and the most callous individual would have shed tears had they witnessed the outbursts of grief when the sad news reached the homes of the deceased.
An inquest was held on the body that was recovered by the R.M., Mr. BAYNE. Dr. PRESTON made an examination of the body, which was frightfully swollen, blackened and disfigured, when it was picked up. Mr. THOMAS of this town was also bathing at the same time the accident happened, and near the spot, and after having gone in a certain distance he also experienced a difficulty in getting to terra firma.
The melancholy event has cast quite a gloom over this picturesque seaport town, and we trust that in future visitors to the Kowie will be very careful not to venture too far into the surf, as the action of the waves there is most powerful.



Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:507
So far this week:So far this week:1173
currently online: 38