Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1888 01 January

Thursday 5 January 1888

DIED at Graaff-Reinet on the 31st December 1887, the Rev. George Hale GREEN, aged 76.

It is with regret that we have to record the death of the Rev. George H. GREEN, who passed away on the 31st December 1887. Mr. GREEN was appointed to South Africa as a Wesleyan Minister fifty years ago, being present on the Minutes of [Grahamstown] for the year [1837]. On account of declining health he became a [superannuary] in [18??]. He resided in Graaff-Reinet until his death. He laboured on the [troubles] of this Colony for many years and was respected by all who knew him.

Saturday 7 January 1888

MARRIED on the 4th January 1888, at Commemoration Chapel, Grahamstown, by the Rev. R. Matterson, William James Bark, only son of W.B. BAKER (Messenger of the Asylum) to Caroline DEASON, third daughter of W.R. DEASON, St.Mary’s Islands, England, and sister of W.R. DEASON of this city.

DIED at Oak Terrace, Grahamstown, cape Colony on 6th January 1888, Maria ROBERTS, born WOOLCOTT, in her 92nd year

The Funeral of the late Mrs. ROBERTS will leave her late residence, Oak Terrace, on Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock. Friends are invited to attend.

A correspondent writing from Standerton, S.A. Republic, under date the 17th ultimo, says:- On Sunday last (Christmas Day) a gloom was suddenly cast over this town when it became known that three young ladies were drowned about five hundred yards from town. The sad accident was thus related by Emily HEALD, one of the survivors, aged 10 years:- On Christmas Eve we went to every house in town singing Christmas carols. When we finished, May proposed that we should go out for a walk at 3 o’clock on Sunday afternoon, to which we all agreed. About 3 o’clock on the Sunday afternoon we prepared ourselves for a walk, and soon started in the direction of Standerkop. We were seven in all, and were the children of Mr. John DESFOUNTAIN and Mr. James HERALD [sic], both residing in this town. The three that were unfortunately drowned were Misses Ellen and Ada HEALD and Miss May DESFOUNTAIN. Ellen and May were aged thirteen years and Ada eight years. When we arrived on the hill above town, May said let us rather go and have a bathe than go for a walk. So we started for the pool in which we intended to bathe. We arrived at a pool, but May said We never bathe here, let us go to the other one where we generally bathe. Ellen then asked her (May) if the pool was not too deep, and she said Oh no. They then began to undress themselves, all except the three little ones who were only about four or five years old. Ada being first undressed went to where the water was shallow, whereupon Ellen and May joined hands. (It must here be stated that May was the only one who could swim.) They started from the same place that Ada did. They did not proceed far when Ada disappeared (the pool has a small decline, and then a sudden drop of about thirty feet from a stony ridge – the size of the pool is about twenty yards square) as she dropped over the ridge. When she (Ada) rose to the surface again Ellen caught hold of her by the hair. Ellen must somehow or other lost her grip as Ada never rose again. Ellen and May stuck together. I was near them at the time, but finding that I was losing my footing I caught hold of the grass which hung over the bank. In trying to get out, the grass broke, and I then sank. I again grasped the grass, and was fortunate this time to retain my hold and save myself. I then saw Ellen and May rise to the surface twice, then they sank never to appear again alive. I then hurriedly threw my dress over me and ran to the nearest house, which was about two hundred yards from the pool, to obtain help. I was told that while I was gone my little sister, who is about six years of age, took off her boots to go and help Ellen, but another of May’s sisters persuaded her not to go in the pool as the water was too deep. At that moment some young men arrived on the scene and began to dive for the bodies, but they were unsuccessful, as they could not reach the bottom. The water was as cold as ice. By this time our parents arrived, say about half an hour after the accident. There were seven parties diving then, but still without success. My father went to make a grappling iron, and during his absence the young men were constantly diving but without success. Father arrived about a quarter of an hour afterwards with the grappling iron. They then commenced searching with the iron. After a long search the body of Ada was recovered. Searching was then renewed with vigour. Ellen and May were found a good half hour afterwards, locked in each other’s arms. They were about three hours under the water. The funeral took place on Monday afternoon, and every person in town was present. At 3:30pm the coffins were placed in the Dutch Reformed Church and at 4pm proceeded to the cemetery. The coffins were beautifully and tastefully trimmed. A certain lady in town presented three most lovely wreaths to the bereaved parents, which were buried with the three unfortunate children. This is undoubtedly the saddest and most lamentable occurrence that has ever happened in Standerton.

Thursday 12 January 1888

FELL ASLEEP at Oatlands, January 11th, John EVENS, aged 69 years and 8 months.

DIED at Port Alfred, Kowie West, Monday 9th Jan 1888, Mary Ann, beloved wife of Peter POTE, aged 50 years.

Mr. John MEREDITH, who was well known in Grahamstown, died on the 25th Dec last at Delagoa Bay. Mr. Joseph PITTAWAY Sen, of Fort England, died on the 9th of the present month.

We regret to have to record the death of Mr. EVENS, which occurred yesterday morning at his home in Oatlands Road. Mr. EVENS was in his 69th year, and was greatly respected in this City, where he has resided for many years. We offer our sincere sympathy to his family in the present affliction.

The death of Mrs. POTE, wife of P.POTE Esq, took place at Port Alfred on Monday. The funeral took place on Tuesday at the Cemetery, West Bank, and was largely attended.

The life of the late Mrs. Maria ROBERTS Sen, of Oak Terrace, Grahamstown, who died shortly after one o’clock on Friday morning, 6th January 1888, deserves a better notice than we are able to give. She was born on the 16th April 1796 – her parents, Benjamin and Mary WOOLCOTT, belonged to one of the old Somersetshire families. She was brought up in affluence and refinement, but after her marriage her husband was attracted by the projected new settlement in Africa, and she came with him as one of the British Settlers of 1820. She was in weak health, and had to be carried on board the Kennersley Castle on the 1st January 1820, and landed in Algoa Bay on the 1st May 1820. Mrs. ROBERTS often spoke of the hearty kindness of the Dutch farmer who seemed sorry to have to put them off his wagon, and leave their small party in the open veld in Lower Albany at New Bristol, as the Bristol party resolved to call their location. It is remarkable that in this Bristol party were three weak and sickly members, and that these three outlived all the other adult members of their party, and the most weakly of the three, Mrs. ROBERTS Sen, survived all the others: and so far as we can learn she has also outlived all the other adult settlers of 1820 except one. Early in the history of the settlement the deceased met the Rev. William SHAW, and later Mrs. SHAW, with whom was formed a life-long friendship. She thereafter joined the Methodist Church, and took part in its early struggles. Her house became a prophet’s chamber, and was the resort of the preachers and pious, and her earnest piety, gentleness and valued counsels attracted a large circle of friends. She was early appointed a class leader, and for some time had three classes committed to her care – her influence was directed to encourage religious and Missionary work, and was eminently successful; and it must be a source of gratification to her descendants to know that she has been looked up to and always addressed as a mother by many of the early missionaries and preachers, some of whom cheered her last days and dying hours by their letters and such-like attentions. She enjoyed her mental faculties until the fatal attack, which carried her off in four days. She was tenderly cared for by her children and her adopted daughter, and had the sympathy of her dearest friends and Settler families. She was taken away in quietness and peace, like a shock of corn fully ripe.

The death of Mr. Jan REGTER of the Zuid Afrikaan, from sunstroke, will be sincerely regretted, not only by his friends and acquaintance, but by the Press generally. It was on Monday week, while watching a cricket match at Newlands, Capetown, that Mr. REGTER sustained the injury from sunstroke which has now terminated in his death. From the occasional intercourse we have had with him, we derived a very pleasing impression of him as a gentleman and a man of considerable ability, which made us the more regret that his pen should be enlisted in a cause which we could not but regard as injurious to the welfare of the Colony. The esteem in which Mr. REGTER was held by his party was shown by his being chosen as one of the signatories to the recent remonstrance to President KRUGER. We deeply regret having to chronicle the close of the career of so promising a journalist as Mr. REGTER

Saturday 14 January 1888

Union Fire and Marine Insurance and Trust Company
Duly instructed thereto by the Trustee of the Insolvent Estate of T.H.HEATHCOTE, the Undersigned will sell by Public Auction, at Alexandria, on Saturday January 28, at 11 o’clock am, the following Farms belonging to the said Estate.
1st the Farm GHIO, measuring 1,389 morgen, situated in the Division of Bathurst, splendidly wooded, and watered by the Ghio River and Permanent Springs. Good for large and small Stock, 200 Acres of Ground under cultivation. Excellent Homestead and Outbuildings. The Post (from which a fair revenue is derived) will be sold with the Farm. The Property is well known as formerly belonging to Dr. Ambrose G. CAMPBELL, and subsequently to the Rev. B.J. SHAW.
2nd the Farm NAZAAR, measuring 2,286 morgen, situated in the Field-Cornetcy of Lower Bushman’s River, District of Albany. This is an excellent Property, and known as one of the best Stock Farms in Albany. As a run for Cattle and Ostriches it is unsurpassed. There are thousands of loads of Wood, and the Nazaar River flows through the centre of the Property.
Joseph E.CHOWLES, Auctioneer
Joseph GADD, Secretary, Sole Trustee
Union Insurance and Trust Co,
Grahamstown, 7th Jan 1888.

The funeral of the late Mr. John EVENS took place on Thursday afternoon, the service being for the most part conducted at Christ Church, where the deceased was for a number of years Churchwarden. The pall was borne by Messrs. T.H. PARKER, R. AYLIFF, J. SLATER, A.S.WHITNALL, H. GUEST and Jos. GADD, the chief mourners being Mr. H.EVENS, the son, and two of the grandsons of the deceased. The service was performed by the Revs. Canon STEABLER, M. NORTON and W. IMPEY.A large number of beautiful wreaths had been sent by friends, and a considerable number of friends of the deceased were present at the funeral.

Tuesday 17 January 1888

A report has reached the Watchman that Private W. BOCK of the C.M.R. committed suicide on Monday by shooting himself with a revolver while riding on horseback near Cathcart.

Saturday 21 January 1888

About half past one o’clock on Sunday afternoon (says the Cathcart Chronicle) Private William BOCK walked out of the camp a short way. Almost immediately afterwards Sergt. BURROUGHES, who is in charge of the camp during the temporary absence of Lieut. SCOTT, heard a shot fired, and running to the spot from whence the sound proceeded, found BOCK lying on the ground, his face and head covered with blood. From the nature of the wound it was evident that the unfortunate young fellow had placed the muzzle of a revolver in his mouth, and fired, the ball passing through the brain and out of the back of the skull. He lived ten minutes after, dying about 2 o’clock. Deceased is a son of Mr. William BOCK of Kingwilliamstown, and is a fine young fellow of about 27 years of age.

Seventeen immigrants (says the Telegraph) forming the pioneer party of the new settlement at Carnarvon, Wodehouse district, and a few miners from the Cyphergat Coal-mining Company, landed at East London last week. The immigrants for Carnarvon had been sent out under the auspices of Mr. Arnold WHITE, and we hope will prove useful settlers. In this direction there is much room for development, if only the right class of immigrants are selected. Experienced miners at Cyphergat will be a distinct advantage to the opening up of those mines, which will be actively worked should a convenient junction be formed between the Border and Midland railway systems.

Tuesday 24 January 1888

DIED on Saturday the 21st inst, Rosina Margaret REYNOLDS, daughter of the late Mr. John REYNOLDS of Fort Beaufort, aged 19 years 6 months and 16 days. The bereaved friends take this opportunity of thanking Drs. FLIGG and GREATHEAD for their unremitting attention, and also Miss Mary and the nurses at the Hospital for their kind attention during the illness of the deceased.

We (Watchman) have to announce with regret the death of Mr. Samuel SUTTON, Armourer to the Colonial Forces, which occurred on Monday, the cause being dysentery. The funeral took place yesterday morning and was attended by Col. THOMAS-FFOLLIOT, Capt. LANNING and some officers and men of the C.M.R., in barracks. Deceased was a member of the Masonic Lodge, and a large number of the Brotherhood were present at the funeral. We offer our hearty sympathy to the family.

Thursday 26 January 1888

A Kimberley paper says: The friends and acquaintances of Mr.John Edward NELSON will learn with regret that he has passed away. Deceased has attained the ripe old age of 76 years. The funeral took place this afternoon at 5 o’clock from the residence of his son, close to the Steam Mill, off Central Road, and was largely attended by mourners.

The S.E. Advertiser reports a curious accident to Mr. Jury NEL. It appears that gentleman was one of a shooting party, and having killed a buck he placed it behind his saddle. While dismounting, one of the protruding bones from the carcass scratched his leg, which soon after became so inflamed and swollen as to render the limb quite useless. Mr. NEL was at once taken into town, where he lies in a precarious state.

Saturday 28 January 1888

The Watchman reports Commandant J. SANSOM died early yesterday morning, and we offer to the widow and family our very sincere sympathy. The deceased will be remembered as one of the Kaffrarian Worthies, a Colonist who had gone through all the bitter experiences of the Frontiersman’s life, and yet by patient industry had overcome all difficulties, and was able as old age came on to rest quietly from labour; a citizen, who when the peace and good order of his country was disturbed, took his place in the field and was an accepted leader amongst his fellows in putting down the enemies of the commonwealth.

Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:207
So far this week:So far this week:4147
currently online: 52