Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1888 10 October

Tuesday 2 October 1888

MARRIED at the Presbyterian Manse, Kimberley, on the 22nd Sept. by the Rev. W. Hay MA BD, James George ROSS to Bridget GRIEG, widow of the late R.E.GRIEG, Grahamstown.

Some time ago a little daughter of the widow Mrs. PROLLER, of Pretoria, received (the local Advertiser says) a slight wound about the knee from the horn of a tame duiker, with which she was playing. The cut was not of a very serious nature at first, but it grew worse, and a doctor was called in. After a while two more medical men were called to attend the child, and in spite of all their efforts mortification set in, and yesterday the limb of the unfortunate girl was amputated above the knee. A second operation had to be made, as it was discovered that the mortification had already effected the leg above the part amputated. She was in a weak condition, and last night succumbed.

Thursday 4 October 1888

Captain WHITE, retired Royal Navy, died early on Tuesday morning, after being laid up for some time from the effects of a severe fall, which he sustained about four months ago. The old gentleman had reached the advanced age of 95 years, having been born in the year 1793. He joined the Navy at an early age as a cadet, in the year following the Battle of Trafalgar, and saw a considerable amount of active service. It is said that he was present at the embarkation of Sir John MOORE’s troops at Corunna, but the statement wants confirmation. He received a severe wound in the shoulder in an encounter with a French ship off Spezzia. His father came out with the Settlers of 1820, and the son followed in 1844, then being 51 years old. After some adventures during the Transvaal war, Captain WHITE took up his abode in Grahamstown, and had been here ever since. Notwithstanding his great age, Captain WHITE exhibited surprising activity up to the last, and there is little doubt that but for the unfortunate accident which laid him aside, he would have died a centenarian. We tender our sincere sympathy to the two sons of the deceased gentleman.

(Cape Mercury)
The whole community received a severe and thrilling shock yesterday afternoon when the report of the drowning of two of the pupils of the School of the Convent of the Sacred Heart in this town was announced.
The circumstances appear to be as follows: Being the Michaelmas Holiday (only one day being given to the school) the pupils, with several of the Nuns their teachers, and the Mother-Prioress, accompanied by the Rev. Father QUIRK, had gone out to the neighbourhood of the Blue Quarry, on the Grahamstown Road, and situated about a mile from town, to enjoy the day by a picnic. Everything went well during the early part of the day. The children had been specially enjoined not to stay out of sight of their teachers and of one another, and were warned against approaching the water collected in the Quarry, or attempting to bathe in any of the neighbouring streams.
Between one and two in the afternoon some loud screams were heard, but as children at play frequently uttered such sounds in their games, nothing serious was apprehended. Very soon, however, two or three of the girls were seen rushing down from the direction of one of the streams screaming loudly, and crying out some inarticulate words in their excitement. Father QUIRK quickly understood that someone was in peril, and followed by teachers and children ran quickly to the spot, which was about 200 yards from the site of the picnic gathering. Here he was informed by Mrs. HARTIGAN, who, with her family, was also picnicking in the same locality, that three girls had entered a hole in a secluded spot in a stream under a krantz to bathe, and were either drowned or drowning. These were ascertained to be Miss Maria RYAN, aged 17 years, of Kimberley; Miss Molly COLLINS, 13 years of age, a granddaughter of Mr. Patrick MULLINS of this town, and only daughter of Mrs. COLLINS, a lady residing at the Pirie; and a little girl aged about ten years of age, named Miss Bessie WALSH, of Aliwal. As soon as father QUIRK realised the position of affairs he instantly threw off his coat and rushed into the water, which in the deepest part reached to his neck, say about five feet in depth, with thick mud and reeds. Several Kafirs who had heard the screams of the drowning girls had previously gone into the water to render help, but when they found the depth increasing refused to go further despite all the urging and rewards offered them. But Father QUIRK’s brave efforts were pluckily seconded by some lads from town, among whom the name of Douglas SAUNDERS is prominently mentioned. This lad, it is said, dived down and found the position of the bodies, which father QUIRK had at first been unable to discover. However, as soon as it was known where they lay, Father QUIRK with assistance quickly recovered one of them, the other remaining undiscovered for some time longer; one little girl, Bessie WALSH, being bravely pulled out by two of her own school-fellows, named Rosa HENRY and Edith McGREGOR.
A message was sent to town with all despatch for surgical aid, and without delay Dr. EGAN and Dr. CHUTE were quickly in attendance. Meanwhile every effort was made to restore animation, Mrs. HARTIGAN having some necessary restoratives with her. This lady and the Mother Prioress, with other help, were unceasing in their efforts, but alas the vital spark had fled from two of the unfortunate girls, little Bessie WALSH only reviving. The distressing scene may be imagined; the Nuns and children weeping and wringing their hands in anguish, when the sad fate became known that death had snatched two young lives so suddenly away. Further help from the town was quickly forthcoming. Mr. GLEESON sent out his omnibus, and sympathetic friend did all that was possible under the painful circumstances. The bodies were placed upon rugs at the bottom of the picnic cart, and reverently covered, and in this manner, attended by the omnibus carrying some of the pupils and followed by the Superintendent and Sergeant COLOCOTT of the Police,
and a crowd, were slowly conveyed to the Convent, where the grief of the Nuns and inmates was something heartrending to witness......

We understand that, as though by a sort of fatality, the little girl Bessie WALSH, who was with difficulty rescued from drowning the other day at Kingwilliamstown when two of her school-fellows perished, had a brother drowned some years ago in one of the dams in Oatlands Park, and she also is said to have had a narrow escape from drowning before this time.

Saturday 6 October 1888

A little lad named George HYSLOP, son of Mr. J.H. HYSLOP of York, Natal, died on Tuesday morning from a bite by a puff adder. On the previous evening (The Times of Natal says) the lad went out barefoot to assist his father in burning the grass, and while breaking a branch off a tree he was bitten on the instep by a puff adder, and immediately afterwards bitten a second time, but the second bite was not noticed until after the lad’s death. All remedies at hand were tried, even to sucking the wound, but of no avail, and the lad died in great agony a few hours after. He had only just recovered from a severe attack of measles.

The Mercury hears from Cathcart that one of Mr. S. MILES’s herds brought home the other day a large lamb sick. The lamb died. Another lamb appeared sick, Mr. MILES examined its mouth and found its tongue had been cut out. On examining the dead lamb it was found that some brute had also cut out its tongue.

Tuesday 9 October 1888

DIED at Grahamstown on the 5th inst, Mary ZIKOLAH (Mary JAY), aged 16 years and 4 months.
“Jesus is mine”.

In the Intestate Estate of the late William John HAWKEN of Grahamstown
All Persons having Claims against the above Estate are requested to file the same with the Undersigned at Grahamstown within six weeks from this date; and all Persons indebted to the said Estate are required to pay their respective Debts to the Undersigned within the same period.
Executor Dative
Grahamstown, October 8th 1888.

Thursday 11 October 1888

The Tarkastad Chronicle reports that Mr. John Emanuel POHL, Secretary to the Tarka Divisional Council, died on Sunday night last at the age of 41 years. Of strong and healthy build, it seemed that he would attain to a ripe old age, but that fell and insidious disease, cancer, laid hold upon him, appearing in the upper part of the throat, and under the jaw, and although two successful operations were performed upon him, a deep-seated abscess formed before the parts operated upon had quite healed, and breaking internally, soon put an end to his terrible sufferings. The late Mr. POHL was a man of much intelligence and shrewdness and filled an important place in our community.

Tuesday 16 October 1888

The Grahamstown Agency
In the Insolvent Estate of Geo. FISHER
All persons indebted to the above Estate are hereby requested to pay the same to the Undersigned at his office within fourteen days, otherwise legal proceedings will be instituted for the recovery thereof.
Sole Trustee
Church-square, Oct 15 1888

Eastern Province Guardian, Loan and Investment Company
In the Estate of the late Samuel C. CRONWRIGHT of Grahamstown.
Notice is hereby given that all Persons having Claims against the above Estate are required to file the same at my office within six weeks from this date; and all Persons indebted thereto must pay the amount within the same period, failing which legal proceedings will be instituted without further notice.
Executive Dative
Grahamstown, 12th October 1888

Thursday 18 October 1888

MARRIED by Special Licence at Bedford, on Wednesday Oct 17th, Henry LAWRANCE of Grahamstown to Amy TROLLIP, youngest daughter of C.B. TROLLIP Esq, Highlands, District Bedford.

DIED at Battletown, New Ross, C. Wexford, Ireland, on Sept. 12 1888, Rev. Patrick NEVILLE, for many years RC Priest at Grahamstown, aged 32 years. RIP.

DIED of gastric fever at Alexandria on the 15th October 1888, Haliday Oke Edye, aged 13 years and 7 months, only son of the Rev. William Robert and Eleanor Jane BRUCE.

Mr. Henry LAWRANCE, our widely known and respected auctioneer, must receive our heartiest congratulations on the consummation of his wedding with Miss Amy TROLLIP, youngest daughter of C.B. TROLLIP Esq, of Highlands, district of Bedford. The marriage, which was performed by special licence, took place yesterday (Wednesday October the 17th) at Bedford. The bride, who looked charming, was attended by her sister, and the groom was supported by Mr. Archie TROLLIP. The bride was given away by her father. The marriage party then repaired to the residence of the bride’s father, where a sumptuous breakfast had been prepared for the occasion. The usual wedding toasts were duly honoured, and numbers of congratulatory telegrams, from different parts of the Colony, testified that the happiness of the bride and bridegroom had an interest for many that were at a distance. Mr. and Mrs. H. LAWRANCE then left for Port Elizabeth on their honeymoon, and, we believe, intend putting up at the Grand Hotel during their stay at that seaport. We join the many friends of the newly-wedded pair in wishing them long and unclouded years of happiness in the “United State”.

Saturday 20 October 1888

BIRTH at Barkly West on the 16th inst, the wife of W.T.T. BROWN of a son.

DIED on the Farm Hopewell on Friday 12th October 1888, Milton POTE, youngest son of Robert and Mary Ann POTE, aged 29 years and 7 months, leaving a disconsolate wife and two young children to mourn his irretrievable loss.
A sinner saved from death and sin
A brand plucked from the burning fire

Thursday 25 October 1888

DIED at Battlesden, near Alice, on Sunday 21st October 1888, James ATTWELL, in his 82nd year.

We regret exceedingly to hear of the decease, at the advanced age of 82, of Mr. James ATTWELL of Battlesden, near Alice. Mr. James ATTWELL had been in failing health for some time past, and it was known that the end could not be distant. He was a brother of Mr. Brooke ATTWELL, our esteemed assistant Market-Master, and also of Mrs. Robert GODLONTON, being older than the former and younger than the latter. We tender our sincere sympathy to the relatives of the deceased gentleman. The funeral was attended by everyone in the neighbourhood, testifying to the universal respect in which Mr. ATTWELL was held.

Mr. C.S. WEBB, Field Cornet, went out yesterday to hold an inquest on the body of one John MACDONALD, a white man, who was found suspended from a tree in a kloof about a mile beyond Atherstone station. The body was very much decomposed, and almost unrecognisable. He was a man about 5 feet 7 inches in height, and his pockets contained £2 10s in gold, 14s 6d in silver and 6d in copper, as well as an unloaded revolver. The deceased came out from England to join the Cape Infantry Corps some years ago, and subsequently was in the employ of the Government on the line at Alicedale, till about three weeks ago. He had been drinking heavily, and was last seen at No.7 cottage, where he slept. On Sunday he went off in a pouring rain, and must have committed the rash act on that day, while in a state of temporary insanity, induced by intemperance. Mr. WEBB returned a verdict to this effect. When found the unfortunate man’s feet were almost touching the ground. He has no relatives in the Colony.

Tuesday 30 October 1888

BIRTH at the Drostdy, Grahamstown, on the 26th Oct, the wife of E.J. STARKEY of a son.

The Pretoria Volkstem says that last Saturday afternoon whilst two brothers BADENHORST and the youngest son of Mr. F. McHATTIE (now of Johannesburg) were riding into Heidelberg, the brothers were struck by lightning, and together with the three horses were killed on the spot. McHATTIE was prostrated but escaped without any further injury.

Two sad cases of sudden death have startled the community during the past weeks. One is as clear a case of felo de se as can be imagined, yet full of sadness. [Transcriber’s Note; description of how a young unnamed man died of drink]
The other sudden death is that of the Rev. W.B. PHILIP BA, Congregational Minister here. The late rev. gentleman had just completed his English letters – one of which was to his wife who is in England – and got them ready for posting by the Harwarden Castle, timed to leave on Wednesday afternoon, when he felt pains in his chest. The family doctor was at once communicated with, but before his arrival the much beloved pastor had expired....

Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:63
So far this week:So far this week:4593
currently online: 46