Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1890 07 July

Tuesday 1 July 1890

MARRIED at Rustenberg, Transvaal, on 10th June 1890 by the Rev. [Magher], George Samuel, eldest son of Mr. John HAYTER, to Julia Eleanor Cotterell, second daughter of Mr. H.E. HOOLE of Johannesburg.

DIED at Grahamstown on the 29th June 1890, Thomas EDWARDS, aged 55 years 2 months and 4 days. Deeply regretted.

We regret to announce the death of an old citizen, Mr. Thomas EDWARDS, who died on Sunday morning last after an illness of seven weeks, his complaint being inflammation of the lungs and congestion of the brain. Mr. EDWARDS was 65 years of age and has resided in Grahamstown for some forty years. He was the son of a lay-preacher who came with the first missionary to the Theopolis station, which was founded, we believe, before the coming of the Settlers in 1820. The deceased was an upright, honourable man, and his loss will be mourned by the widow and seven children whom he has left, as well as by a large number of friends in this city.

The marriage is reported of Mr. Harry Gordon TURNER, the Superintendent of Tennyson Settlement, to Miss Mabel Eugenie FORMBY(better known as Sister Enid), a lady who has taken a prominent part in the foundation of the Settlement. The Frontier Guardian states that the settlement was very gay on the occasion.

Tuesday 8 July 1890

DIED at Grahamstown, July 2nd, Eliza Louisa Broome, infant daughter of Alfred Henry and Constance Maude DAY, aged just five weeks.

A case of suicide is reported from Pilgrim’s Rest of a young man named FARNHAM, who had recently arrived there. No reason has been given for the act. The young man was quiet, steady, and highly respected in the camp.

Many old Grahamstown residents will remember Mr. STIER, formerly Bandmaster of the 96th Regiment, and subsequently teacher of music in the City. Mr. STIER was recently found dead in bed at Kingwilliamstown, having suffered for some time from heart disease. He was much esteemed wherever he resided.

Saturday 12 July 1890

We regret to hear that the wife of Mr. BROWN, Usher of the E.D. Court, has met with a nasty accident in Market-st. She was crossing the street, and happening to put her foot into an open drain, fell with force, breaking her leg above the ankle. Dr. GREATHEAD was soon in attendance, and had the leg set. We hope that Mrs. BROWN will make a rapid recovery, and soon be able to leave her bed.

Tuesday 15 July 1890

MARRIED at Sidbury on July 8th, by the Rev. J. Whiteside, W. WHITAKER of Indwe to Sarah, youngest daughter of W. FOWLDS Esq, Long Lee.

The E.P. Herald reports the discovery at Korsten, near Port Elizabeth, of the body of a man named HANAGAR, who was 68 years of age, had been drinking heavily, and had hanged himself on a tree with a reim. Also a fight between two boys at Uitenhage on Saturday, in which one was killed.

We are requested to communicate the fact that Mr. Edward WILSON, author of Reminiscences of a Frontier Armed and Mounted Police Officer in South Africa, and the [....] Sub Inspector in that Corps, was [wedded] on May 1st to Miss Emma Elizabeth Annie HAUGHTON. The marriage took place in Dublin.

Thursday 17 July 1890

A Natal telegram says that Mr. Gert Jacobus NAUDE, who came to that colony in [1849] with a party of Dutch settlers, and who has lived there ever since, has died at the age of 82 years. Deceased was a wealthy man, and leaves a large quantity of property to Missions.

The Watchman records the death of Miss Julia TAINTON, sister of the late Richard TAINTON, at one time Special Magistrate for that district. Miss TAINTON came to town on Friday to consult a doctor in regard to her health. On Saturday she was in good spirits and did not complain of anything. She arose yesterday morning about half past seven o’clock, and after drinking a cup of coffee sat down on the bed and expired. The cause of death was aneurism of the heart.

A sad and fatal accident occurred in Main Street, Kimberley, on Wednesday afternoon. A young man named BAINBRIDGE was mounting his horse when part of the sole of his boot came off and caught in the stirrup. The horse swerved round and made off, dragging BAINBRIDGE, and before it could be stopped he sustained such injuries that soon after being taken to the hospital he died. He was the nephew of Captain BAINBRIDGE of the U.S. Company’s Steamer “Athenian”.

Saturday 19 July 1890

MARRIED by Special Licence at West Hill Wesleyan Church, Grahamstown, on the 18th inst, by the Rev. H. Cotton, M.G. HOLMES, Upington, to Lucy Wilkins HARTWELL, second daughter of Jesse HARTWELL of Grahamstown.

Tuesday 22 July 1890

Our telegram today reports the sad intelligence of the death of the Hon. George BLAINE, without any particulars. We shall doubtless shortly be in a position to furnish an obituary of one who was both in public and private life an honourable man, ready to serve his country and zealous for its prosperity, and who was not only widely known and esteemed but will be widely regretted throughout the Colony.

Thursday 24 July 1890

DIED at Bathurst, at the residence of his sister, Mrs. James McNally, after 14 months’ painful sickness, Richard LYNCH, aged 74 years. R.I.P.
Kimberley and Transvaal papers please copy.

Saturday 26 July 1890

DIED at Lansdowne Lodge, Grahamstown, on July 21st 1890, Arthur Cyril, twin son of Agnes M. and R. Restall STOCKS, aged 4 years 4 months.

The decease of the esteemed Rector of St.Aidan’s College, which sad event, as our readers are aware, had for some time past been slowly approaching, occurred on Thursday evening last at 8 o’clock. The funeral took place this morning. We trust in our next issue to be able to furnish an obituary of the deceased clergyman.

The sudden and unexpected death of the Hon. George BLAINE M.L.C., which occurred at Mrs. GRAHAM’s boarding-house, Hope-street, in the early hours of this (Monday) morning, will come as a shock to his many friends in Capetown, and throughout the colony. Mr. BLAINE was apparently in his usual health up to Saturday night, about ten o’clock, when he complained to his friend, Mr. H.W. BIDWELL, of pains in the chest. He went to bed, but was so restless that Mr. BIDWELL sat up with him. In the morning, hearing of his illness, the Hon. L.H. MEURANT M.L.C., who boards in the same house, entered Mr. BLAINE’s room and found him so ill that it was decided to send for Dr. ROSS. The deceased, however, breakfasted, and expressed himself as being better, and when Dr. ROSS arrived he was so much better that it was hoped the attack would pass off. He remained in bed, however, although during the day he wrote several letters, and made out a list of friends to whom he wished to send his portrait, which had just been freshly taken. Shortly after midnight alarming symptoms presented themselves, and the deceased expired at ten minutes past one. The cause of death was angina pectoris, and it was probably hastened by a chill contracted on Saturday. Although the event was unexpected by his friends, Mr. BLAINE seems to have had a premonition of it himself, inasmuch as he had been speaking about it to intimate friends within the past few days; and some of his actions seem to point to the same conclusion. The funeral will probably take place tomorrow afternoon at Mowbray.
Mr. BLAINE was a native of Hull, Yorkshire, and came to this Colony in 1841. During the Kafir War of 1846 he served as a burgher under the late Sir A. STOCKENSTROM. I the interval between that war and the disastrous outbreak of 1850-51 he had established a large trade in the Transkei, in partnership with Mr. Edward JEFFRIES, and they were utterly ruined by the war. Mr. BLAINE was appointed second officer of the Fingo Levy, under Captain TAINTON, and he was present at the action with Segolo, just outside of Kingwilliamstown. Mr. BLAINE was afterwards appointed lieutenant and adjutant of Armstrong’s Horse, and while serving in that corps he was severely wounded...
[Transcriber’s Note: This obituary from the Cape Argus continues for another column and publishes the text of a long letter written by George BLAINE ‘in his seventieth year’ on political matters.]

Thursday 31 July 1890

The mortal remains of the reverend and esteemed late rector of St.Aidan’s College were solemnly laid to rest in the Catholic Cemetery on Saturday morning last in the presence of a large concourse of sympathising people. A solemn Requiem Mass was sung in the College Chapel and a portion of the burial service read before a large congregation of mourners. ..... The coffin, which was of polished oak with brass mountings, bore on its cover a beautiful figure of the Crucifixion in golden bronze and a shield carrying the following inscription:
Rev. Alfredus WELD S.J.
Natus die 5 Aug. 1823;
Obit die 25 Jul. 1890.
[Description of service continues for a column and a half.]

Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:388
So far this week:So far this week:1821
currently online: 52