Skip to main content


Port Elizabeth Mercury

Port Elizabeth Mercury 1852 1 January - March

Saturday 3 January 1852

BIRTH on the Morning of Friday 26th Dec, the wife of H.B. DEARE Esq of a son.

Carpenter and Joiner
Begs to acquaint the Inhabitants of Port Elizabeth and its Vicinity that he has commenced Business at the Work Shop formerly occupied by Mr. Jabez COLLING
(Nearly opposite Mr. UPPLEBY’s)
and hopes by strict attention to his Orders, and moderate charges, to merit a share of their support.
Jas. CAMPBELL will furnish Plans, Elevations, and Sections, together with Working Drawings, and Specifications for Stores, Shop Fronts, Cottages &c at a short notice.
NB the smallest Job instantly attended to, and Orders from the Country punctually executed.

New Church
Persons intending to take Pews or Sittings in the New Church are respectfully requested to intimate their intention to the Undersigned, in order that they may receive due notice of the Day appointed for making Choice of the same.
Chairman to the Committee
8 November 1851

Saturday 10 January 1852

January 4th 1852
The mournful intelligence has reached Graham’s Town this morning of the death by the hands of the Enemy of Major WILMOT, Royal Artillery, Commanding at Fort Peddie. This able and gallant Officer was shot on New Years day, while leading his men in an attack upon the Enemy in the jungle of the Fish River, where it is said Sandilli has now taken shelter. The lamented deceased was amongst the bravest and most active Officers in the field. On every occasion, when hard and gallant service was demanded, he distinguished himself. He fell as a soldier, and his name will stand conspicuous among the defenders of this country, and be embalmed in the memory of its Inhabitants.
Graham’s Town Journal Extra.

By the Rev F. McCleland AB (TCD)
A daughter of Mr. H. RUTHERFOORD baptised Inez Florence
A daughter of Mr. H. RUTHERFOORD baptised [obscured] Sophia
A son of Capt. G. WATTS baptised James Philip

Saturday 17 January 1852

From “The Colonist”
Fort Peddie
January 4 1852
   On Tuesday the 30th December a patrol marched from this post, at half past 8 o’clock pm, under command of Major WILMOTT RA, Commandant of Fort Peddie, for the purpose of taking by surprise a Kafir encampment and cattle, said to be in the vicinity of Committee Hill and the Fish River.
   The party marched that night to the Goka stream, a distance of about 9 miles from Peddie, where they rested and lay under cover till about half past 8 o’clock on the following night whence they proceeded in the direction of the Compana. When about 5 miles on the road, a fire was observed burning in a kloof at some distance from the direct road the men were then marching. Directions were immediately given to march with all caution to that place, and if possible take by surprise those who might be at it. On arriving at the verge of the bush where the fire was seen, a party was sent to reconnoitre the place, and find out if Kafirs or cattle were near; and in any case not to fire, but to remain on the watch till the dawn of day, and then, if possible, to surround them. The soldiers also were to remain under cover at the opposite part of the bush, and await the alarm from the Fingoes.
   When daylight appeared, neither Kafirs nor cattle were to be seen, but the guide found their track, which was followed up till the party arrived at the top of Committee hill. At this place the patrol was halted, Major WILMOTT, with a few Fingoes, about a quarter of a mile distant, to see if there were any cattle. They found two cows and a calf grazing, and 4 huts, which, after being rifled by the Fingoes, the Major set fire to and burned. An order was despatched by the Major for the main body to move forward, and keep a sharp look out as they passed. The men passed through a few kloofs, the Fingoes extending through the bush in case of a surprise; which was very probable as two or three Kafirs were at this time seen lurking about on the opposite hill. On arriving at a stream comparatively free from any annoyance of the enemy might attempt to give, the patrol again halted; and while there the Fingoes brought in a kafir boy whom they had taken in the bush. The boy stated that his father was with Sewani, and that the cows, and the other cattle that were seen, were sent by that chief a few days previous; and that it was his mother who had made the fire that was seen on the night before. After keeping him for some time, he was allowed to go. Some Fingoes who now came in reported that there were cattle in a kloof about 4 miles distant, in the direction the patrol had marched from. This intelligence caused the whole party to set off again with all speed, keeping to the right and moving round to the side of a hill to keep under cover as much as possible; they were, however, closely watched by the enemy, who, on the approach of the patrol, scampered down the hills. When gaining a point of a hill which commanded a view of a great part of the country, 3 huts were seen, and Major WILMOT (who was in front the whole time) went forward and set fire to two of them, but on nearing the third, Mr. WEBB called to him not to go too near or he might be shot; the Major heeded not the warning, but stepped boldly forward to apply the match, when a villain in the bush at the back of the hut fired, and shot him; the bullet entered the left side, passing though the body and coming out at the right, tearing with it a large piece of his coat. Hw was immediately carried out on a stretcher, and the wound dressed by the surgeon who accompanied the patrol and who, at the same time, pronounced the wound mortal. Death ensued in about half an hour.
   The whole had now to retire, and the next in command sent some of the 91st, with the Native and Fingoe levy, into the bush, to keep it clear of the enemy, who, it was thought, was forming an ambush to cut off the skirmishers from the main body, who were bearing home the Major’s remains. But a few shots were only fired, with a constant shout from the Kafirs while in sight, as if in defiance or derision. When a few miles on the road, the horsemen in front galloped up to, and took prisoner, a kafir woman; telling her to answer the questions put to her, she stated that if the patrol had moved down half a mile further they would have come upon Stock’s Camp, that a great many cattle were there, and that the Kafirs that were seen were his out-lying picquets. After she gave this information, they dismissed her.
   The patrol arrived at Peddie at 9pm on the 1st instant, after having marched through heavy unremitting rain from 8 o’clock the night before, and marched over 30 miles with only 3 hours rest – two of which they lay with their accoutrements and blankets etc upon them – ready for any order that might at any time be given.
   The mortal remains of Major WILMOTT were interred on Saturday, the 2nd inst, with military honours. He was borne to the grave by Sergeants of the 91st, followed by Civilians, Cape Mounted Rifles, Native Levy and Fingoes in rotation – every one of whom testified by their silent sorrow the loss they had sustained in the demise of their true friend and comrade soldier. As a Commander few equalled him in the discharge of duties which devolved upon him for the care and improvement of those under his charge. He was an accomplished gentleman in the full sense of the word, treating the soldier with that kindness and humanity which is very often denied to him, but which always endears the officer to his men and makes his slightest wish obeyed with alacrity. Always in the van, he never allowed himself to be second in the place where danger was greatest, but with that quick eagle glance in a moment placed his men where they would have the best advantage of the enemy, reserving his coolness in every part of his duty to the last, thus showing his men that he was perfectly competent to command as well as to discharge every duty that devolved upon him. When in quarters he had no useless routine of worthless display, which many Commanding Officers inflict upon their men and those under their command. If he had to order a march, it was done without show or pomp, and when performed everyone had time to rest and recruit before they went again on duty. His loss will long be remembered by the men of the detachment at this Post, and his memory revered by all who knew and admired his character.

Saturday 31 January 1852

Frontier Times
An express came in this morning from Fort Hare, bringing the mournful tidings of the murder of Mr. James HOWSE, of Graham’s Town, on Thursday last. It appears that the deceased was riding, accompanied by no-one, from Alice to Leeuw Fontein, and was waylaid at Mr. Birt’s Station and murdered. His remains have been recovered and brought to Alice. This melancholy event will be deeply regretted by the community and by a large circle of friends, amongst whom the best part of his days were spent. He was one of the most wealthy men on the frontier, the result of his unceasing industry and enterprise; but the Kafir wars had made fearful inroads on his prosperity. He leaves a widow and numerous family in the deepest affliction, with whom the public sincerely sympathise in the severe and irreparable calamity with which it has pleased the Almighty to visit them. Spoors of Kafirs and Hottentots were seen at the spot where the body was found.

It is with deep regret we state that information reached town this morning of the murder of James HOWSE Esq of this town, by Hottentots, whilst riding from Alice to his farm at Leeuw Fontein, accompanied only by a single servant. The following, from Fort Beaufort, dated 26th instant, are the only particulars that have reached us:-
No doubt you have heard by this opportunity of the murder of Mr. James HOWSE. He evry unadvisedly left here for Alice at daylight last Thursday morning, and at half past two o’clock the same day he left Alice direct for Leeuw Fontein, quite alone and unarmed, and on arriving at Birt’s Old Station he was killed. WYNNE’s party was sent out to look after him this morning, and found his remains at the above Station, and has just now come in with them. He could not be recognised, only some papers with his signature, and one of his socks with his name on, were found on the spot.

Saturday 14 February 1852

DIED this morning at Buffel’s Fontein, Inez Florence RUTHERFOORD, aged 4 months.
Port Elizabeth, 10th Feb 1852.

Saturday 21 February 1852

DIED at Port Elizabeth on Monday 16th Feb 1852, Mr. Thomas Henry MARTYN, aged 37 years.

Watch Maker and Jeweller
Begs to acquaint the inhabitants of Port Elizabeth and surrounding Country Districts that he has again commenced Business in this town, opposite the Stores of Messrs. KAY, HESS & Co, and trust that by strict attention and moderate charges to meet the public patronage.
Watches, Clocks and Musical Boxes cleaned and repaired; Watch Glasses of all sizes.
Jewellery repaired and made to Order on the shortest Notice.
Wedding Rings &c always on hand.

Saturday 6 March 1852

DIED at Niagara, Upper Canada, on the 8th Dec 1851, in the 33rd year of his age, Capt. George DEARE, Royal Canadian Rifle Regt, eldest son of the late Lieut.-Col G.R. DEARE, 8th Royal Irish Hussars.

DIED at Port Elizabeth on the 3rd instant, Anthony, only son of Anthony HEUGH Esq, aged 5 months and 8 days.
Port Elizabeth, March 4th 1852.

Saturday 13 March 1852

MARRIED at Port Elizabeth on the 4th March by the Rev A. Robson, William ALLEN to Miss Lucy BURCHETT.

DIED on Friday the 5th March 1852, Hannah, the beloved wife of Mr. W.J. EARLE of this place, whose humble tribute to her memory is his following opinion:- that she was Religious without Bigotry; Free without Vice; possessing a large share of the Milk of Human Kindness. – her friends generally will kindly receive this instead of a written communication.

DIED at Port Elizabeth, on the 8th instant, Mr. Anthony HEUGH, aged 29 years, deeply regretted.

Saturday 20 March 1852

In St.Mary’s Church by the Rev F. McCleland AB TCD
A son of Mr. DEMILION, baptised Richard James.
A son of Mr. BODILY, baptised Edwin.
A son of Mr. SILLS, baptised James Daniel.
A daughter of Mr. G. REED, baptised Agnes Louisa.
A daughter of Mr. BRUTON, baptised Charlotte Eliza.
A daughter of Mr. CHADWICK, baptised Mary.

Saturday 28 March 1852

MARRIED at Port Elizabeth on Thursday the 18th instant by the Rev F. McCleland AB (TCD), Mr. James GAUGAIN to Miss Harriet Esther COUCHER.

  • Hits: 7756