Queenstown Free Press

Queenstown Free Press 1894 1 January - June

Tuesday, January 2, 1894

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 30th December, 1893, after a painful and lingering illness, borne with Christian fortitude, Jemima Clara, dearly beloved daughter of Mrs. E. STONE, Queenstown.

Died,- At Sterkstroom, on the 10th December ,1893, Louisa Jane, widow of the late William DALY, of Grahamstown, aged 52 years 6 months and 19 days.

The late Dr. KRANZ.
Mr J.W. BELL has received intelligence of the death of Dr M.F. KRANZ, at Wiesbaden, in Germany, on the 26th November, 1893. The late Dr KRANZ came to this Colony in 1863 of ’64, and took up his residence in Queenstown, where he practised for years on the homeopathic principle, and was very successful. He left here for his own country (Germany), and it was generally supposed that he had made sufficient in Queenstown to lead a very easy life in the land of his birth. We believe the entire family left the Colony at the same time.

Tuesday, January 9, 1894

Married,- At S. Michaels and All Angels Church, Queenstown, on 26th December, 1893 Thomas DARKE to Catherine Galbraith, eldest daughter of the late F. McMASTER, Esq., of Adelaide.

Marriage.-SIMKINS.-EDWARDS.- On the 27th Dec., at Trinity Church, Graham’s Town, by the Rev. W. TYSON, Edward Walter SIMKINS, youngest son of the late W.J. SIMKINS, of London, to Jessie Thompson EDWARDS, youngest daughter of the late Thomas EDWARDS, Grahamstown.

The Settlers of 1820.- We are pleased to hear that Mr. Colin T. CAMPBELL who lived for many years in Grahamstown, where he edited the “Anglo African” newspaper, has for a long time past been engaged in writing a history of the British settlement, which is now nearly ready for publication. From such a competent pen, the book is likely to prove interesting and especially so to the descendants of the noble band that constituted the Settlers of 1820.

Friday, January 12, 1895

Married,- On the 10th January, 1894, in the Wesley Church, Queenstown, by the Rev. R. LAMPLOUGH, Guildford Samuel, eldest son of S.R. GARDNER Esq, Peninsula, Queenstown, to Louisa Minerva, 5th Daughter of the late R. PRESTON Esq., Queenstown. – No Cards.

An exceedingly pretty wedding took place in Wesley Church on Wednesday afternoon last, the happy couple being Mr G. GARDNER, eldest son of Mr S.R. GARDNER, Queenstown and Miss PRESTON (Minervia) daughter of the late Mr R. PRESTON...Mr GARDNER was supported by his brother, Mr F. GARDNER, and Mr ALDERTON. The bride, who simply looked lovely, was given away by her brother-in-law, Mr J MORGAN... The bridesmaids, Miss Agnes PRESTON and Miss Maud GARDNER... The two sweet little flower girls Miss Ida GARDNER and Miss Eviline MORGAN... The Rev. R. LAMPLOUGH tied the nuptial knot.

Tuesday, January 16, 1894

German papers to hand by last mail give very interesting particulars of the life and work of the late Dr KRANTZ, whose name is household to the older inhabitants of Queenstown, Cathcart and Tarkastad. We quote from the “Rheinischer Kurier,” Wiesbaden, dated Dec. 2nd, 1893: On Wednesday last the remains of the late Dr KRANTZ were taken to their last rest. Dr KRANTZ was a gentleman who enjoyed very wide spread esteem and love in our town, where for the last fifteen years he has been a very successful practitioner. He was born in the year 1829 in Hersfeld. He studied medicine at the Uniiversities of Marburg and Wurzburg. In the year of the Revolution, 1848, he served as a volunteer in the Grand Duke of Hesse’s Hussars of the Guard in Cassel, and later practised in the hospital of that town. After this he took to travelling and very few parts of this world there are whose neighbourhood he did not visit. He started off as a doctor on an Australian liner, and on reaching Australia threw up his appointment and accepted the appointment of Chief Surgeon to the German Hospital, Sandhurst, near Melbourne. After two years, however, his desire to travel returned; he gave up his appointment and trotted the globe. After remaining in the South America for some time, he returned to Germany and married; but he did not remain at home long, accompanied by his wife he embarked again, this time for North America, and for four years he practised as a doctor in St. Louis, (Missouri). Then he wended his way back to London and became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons. Only one year, however, he remained in London and then took to ship again with his whole family for South Africa. He was appointed District Surgeon on Queenstown and for 12 years he practised in that town and district. Finally in 1878 he returned to the “fatherland” settled down in Wiesbaden and remained there the rest of his life. Among the homeopathic doctors of Germany he took a leading place. Dr KRAUTZ was well known also as a literary man, many English and German magazines have to thank him for some of their finest articles. His whole life was one string of untiring, restless doing, used up in work of love to humanity. Physically, deceased was a wonderfully strong man; all the dangers and fatigue connected with a doctor’s life in far away foreign lands, did not have the slightest effect on his iron constitution, and until shortly before his death he had never been ill; and only a few weeks ago did we see him healthy and strong, a fine looking old man, a man who it seemed could never get tired. Heart disease, however, set in a bid him a dictatorial “halt;” but not even this could keep him from his work and the evening before his death he was still bustling about busy as ever. The news of his sudden death has been received with great sorrow everywhere.   Many a tear too was shed in the houses of the poor of this town, whose great friend, helper and adviser he has always been. .. He was a benefactor in the truest sense of the word. He was a good father and a good husband, and it was the great joy of his life that his sons had also become doctors and that his two daughters had married doctors...

Friday, January 19, 1894

Birth,- In Queenstown, on the 16th January, 1894, the wife of Mr. C.J. BROSTER, of a son.

An exceedingly pretty wedding took place on Thursday last at the residence of the Rev. EJ WARNER, Glen Grey. The happy couple being Mr AT SCOTT fourth son of the late Mr A SCOTT of Bucclouch, and Miss STANFORD adopted daughter of the Rev EJ WARNER. The bridegroom was attended by Messrs HA McCORMICK and W WARNER. The bride .... was attended by two bridesmaids the Misses WARNERS...

Friday, February 2, 1894

Birth.- At Queenstown, on the 26th January, the wife of Mr. Harold ELLA, of a Son.

Tuesday, February 6, 1894

Married,- at Capetown, on the 31st Jan., 1894, by the Rev. J. DEACON, William S. PARK, M.A., M.B., Lady Frere, to Georgina, elder daughter of George SIM, Esq., Aberdeen, Scotland.

Death of Mr. Fred FULLER.
It is with deep regret we (“Chronicle” have to record the decease of the above gentleman, who (after a long and painful illness, extending over a period of eighteen months) died peacefully at “The Dales” on Tuesday evening at 9 p.m. The deceased came to this district about eight years ago; his farming operations were carried on mostly in the Waku where he formed many friends. Finding that that locality did not agree with his health, he removed to the Bontebok Flats, and has remained there, with exception of a time spent in Port Elizabeth, and Bedford in endeavouring to obtain medical aid, until his decease. The late Mr FULLER, who was a son of Mr William FULLER of Bedford, was one of the most popular, kind-hearted, and hospitable farmers on the Frontier, and will be sadly missed not only by his numerous relations, but a very large circle of friends. Dropsy, to which may be added other internal complaints combined was as far as we can gather the cause of death. He leaves a widow with two children, to whom, with his aged parents and brothers we tender our sympathy.

Friday, February 9, 1894

Married.- On February 2nd, at Rockwood, by the Rev. T. SPARGO, Arthur H. FILMER, to Lilly M. HILL, both of Rockwood, district Queenstown.

Marriage.- On February 7th at the Congregational Church, Queenstown, by the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE, Mathew John, the fifth son of the late Cornelius MAYTHAM, to Annie Florence, eldest daughter of the late Edward CLEAVER, of Oxford, England.

Friday, February 16, 1894

Drowned,- Whilst bathing in Tsolokazi river on the 1st inst. Rudolf, beloved child of Friedrich and Maria STROH, Tsolokazi, district Glen Gray. Aged 3 years and 6 months...

Died,- At Lady Frere, on the 10th inst., Elizabeth, beloved wife of Charles OWEN, and eldest daughter of Mr. James HAGAN, aged 40 years, 7 months, 28 days...

It is with deep regret that we hear of the death of Miss Marian Crighton BELL, daughter of the late Mr E. BELL, senr., in her sixty-third year. Miss BELL has been ailing for some time now, but her sudden death came as a shock to her many relatives and friends, who were not under the impression that her illness was as serious as it turned out to be. Miss BELL devoted the greater part of her life to the nursing of her aged mother, a confirmed invalid, who is now over 90 years of age, and her one wish was that she might outlive her mother, if only by a few days, in order that she might be privileged to comfort the old lady right up to her end. Miss BELL was one of a very large family, which has, however, lately dwindled down very considerably in number. Within the last fifteen months it has been our sad lot to chronicle in these columns the death of three of the family...

We regret to hear that a telegram has been received from the Glencairn Goldmining Company, Johannesburg, announcing the death of Mr Alexander Forbes JACKSON, late of St. Mark’s. No particulars are to hand... being 49 years of age.

Tuesday, February 20, 1894

Died,- At Glen Ullen, Tembuland, on the 7th inst. Robert BOYCE, aged 73 years.

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 15th Feby., 1894, Mary Ann BELL, eldest daughter of the late E.R. BELL, Esq., aged 61 years.

The Tennyson Settlement
We are glad to be able to congratulate the Settlement on the magnificent harvest it is having; the result of the reaping has been over 2,00 bags of grain, and in addition exceptionally large crops of potatoes and mealies are coming on. Altogether the settlement at present is looking its best, and is undoubtedly in a prosperous condition.

Friday, March 2, 1894

Birth,- On Sunday, 25th Feb., the wife of P. McKENZIE, Esq., Lady Frere, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Queenstown, on Wednesday, Feb. 28th, the wife of Rev. A.H. HODGES, of a Daughter.

Wedding Bells.
Colonists generally will be interested in the quiet wedding which took place on Saturday in the little village of Middelburg, when Mr SC CRONWRIGHT, one of the most prominent of the younger generation of Colonists, was united in matrimony to the lady who of all South Africans is most widely known – Miss Olive SCHREINER, the gifted authoress.   The ceremony, which was of the most private character, was performed at the residence of the Civil Commissioner, Mr C.J. ROUX. The bride was accompanied by her brother, Mr Theophilus SCHREINER, the bridegroom being supported by Mr C.W. WEBBER, of “Avondale,” Bedford... We understand that the couple will be known in future as Mr and Mrs CRONWRIGHT-SCHREINER.

Tuesday, March 6, 1894
Died,- At Klein Letaba, Transvaal, on the 2nd March, 1894, James GARDNER, late of Queenstown.

Friday, March 9, 1894

Birth,- On Sunday, 25th Feb., the wife of P. McKENZIE, Esq., Lady Frere, of a Daughter.

Married,- At the Tsomo, on 21st February, by Rev. CALDECOTT, H.S.E. WADE to E.M. DECKERT, youngest daughter of F. DECKERT, Esq.

Mrs J WEAKLEY passed away on Tuesday last, after a lingering illness, borne with Christian resignation and patience. Mr and Mrs WEAKLEY came to Queenstown amongst the first arrivals in 1854, and with others helped to build up and make Queenstown known and respected in the early days of its existence. Mrs WEAKLEY was one of the oldest members of the Wesleyan Church, and was always ready to lead, assist and direct any organisation for its good... Some years ago Mr and Mrs WEAKLEY left Queenstown, where they hitherto had been in a large way of business, and took up their residence on the farm at Waku, where they resided until Mrs WEAKLEY’s health necessitated a return to Queenstown. It was hoped that the change would have been beneficial, but it was ordained otherwise, and the good lady was taken to a better home in the presence of her husband and children, calmly resigned, trusting in the love of her Heavenly Father that she was going to a better world on high. The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon, and was largely attended. The chief mourners were the husband and three sons (Mr J.B. WEAKLEY, Drs. Arthur and Alfred WEAKLEY, and Mr A.E. WEAKLEY), her son-in-law (Mr Herbert DUGMORE), grandsons and nephews... A portion of the service was conducted by the Rev R. LAMPLOUGH, in the Church, where the Rev. H.H. DUGMORE offered up an impressive and powerful prayer. The remainder of the service at the grave was also conducted by the Rev R. LAMPLOUGH, who was accompanied by the Revs Albert and C.K. HODGES...

Tuesday, March 13, 1894

Birth,- At Sterkstroom, on Monday, March 5th, the wife of R.B. FARLEY, of a Daughter.

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 7th March, 1894, Catherine Ann, the beloved wife of John WEAKLEY, senr. Aged 70 years.

Died,- At Lady Frere on 7th March, 1894, Winnie, only daughter of L.W. and H.C. RALSTON, (niece of Mr. H.D. COLLINS), aged 13 years and 4 months.

Friday, March 30, 1894

Birth-PARKER.- On Hospital Hill, Johannesburg, S.A.R., the 21st instant, the wife of J. Charles PARKER, of a Daughter.

Tuesday, April 3, 1894

Edward Metham MARSHALL, an ex-private of the C.M.R., at one time stationed in Kingwilliamstown, and subsequently at Komgha, was sentenced at the East London Circuit to two years imprisonment with hard labour, for having fraudulently drawn cheques on the Standard Bank for the mount of £12, £5, £5, and £3 5s 6d.

Tuesday, April 10, 1894

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 6th April, 1894, the wife of Mr. T.H. MARSHALL, of a Daughter.

Friday, April 13, 1894

The Tennyson Settlement
Someone signing himself “A Lover of Facts,” writes to the Diamond Fields “Advertiser”:-
“Sir,- The results of the harvest at the above Settlement is 1,100 bags of grain, including wheat, barley and oats.
“I should be very glad if the Queenstown “Free Press” would kindly give us an explanation as to the remaining 900 bags to make up the 2,00, as it erroneously states.”
Why this gentleman should address a Kimberley paper when he wants his information from the “Free Press,” does seem a little remarkable; but nevertheless we will oblige the searcher after truth and “lover of facts,” by telling him all we know of the harvest of the Tennyson Settlement. There were reaped this harvest by the whole of the Settlement 234,000 sheaves, distributed as follows:-
Tennyson Farm – 140,000
Tennyson Settlers – 20,000
Fairhope Farm – 74,000
Total 234,000
Now we would ask any farmer in the Queenstown district to say if the estimate of 2,000 bags we gave, was not an exceedingly low one. 234,000 sheaves ought certainly to give 2,000 bags of grain; up to date a little over 1,400 have been threshed out. “Lover of Facts” erroneously states 1,100; so that the “Free Press: has some 600 bags in its estimate to account for, and not 900 as the “Advertiser’s” correspondent would make out. Now it is history that in this and adjoining districts the farmers did not reap one-half the grain they expected to. Their crops looked magnificent and gave promise of a grand harvest, but whether owing to the unusual amount of rain we had towards the end of the season, or to other causes unexplained, almost every farmer was out in his estimate.

Friday, April 20, 1894

Married,- At St. Marks, on the 11th inst., by the Venerable Archdeacon COAKES, John James KELLY, of Lady Frere, to Lina COLLINGS, second daughter of H. COLLINS, Esq., Stamford, England.

Friday, April 27, 1894

Ebden Street, particularly that part of it nearest Wesley Church was a scene of unusual animation on Monday afternoon. The centre of attraction of course being the residence of Mrs WARD whose eldest daughter was about to be joined in the holy bonds of matrimony to Mr C LISTER, whose name in connection with the firm of Messrs MAGER and MARCH is well-known and deservedly popular in Queenstown... The bridegroom was supported by Mr F DUGMORE. The bride, who looked sweetly pretty, was given away by Mr S MORUM,...

Tuesday, May 1, 1894

Married,- At Wesley Church, Queenstown, on the 23rd inst., by the Rev. A.H. HODGES, Charles Edward LISTER, of Yorkshire, England, to Emilie May WARD, of Queenstown.

Died,- At Queenstown, on Sunday the 29th April, John Alison, the beloved son of Alison and Annie TYSON, aged 1 year and 3 months.

Friday, May 4, 1894

Marriage.- FISHER-STILWELL.- At Mountain Glen, near Queenstown, on 30th April, Arthur Bentley FISHER to Mimmie, second daughter of Ablorrt STILLWELL, Esq.- No Cards.

Tuesday, May 8, 1894

Died,- At Queenstown, Saturday, 5th May, 1894, Arthur Herman, the fifth and beloved son of John and Lily AUSTEN, aged 3 years and 11 months.

Friday, May 11, 1894

ROBERTS-COTTERELL.- Married in the Roman Catholic Church, Queenstown, on the 8th inst., by the Rev. Dr. ALLAN, assisted by Rev. Father VAN BAER, Crawford E. ROBERTS to Winnifred, only daughter of the late E. COTTERELL.

Birth,- At Queenstown, May 8th, the wife of W.A. HILDER, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Oak Lodge, Aliwal North on April 6th, the wife of Dr. WATSON, acting District Surgeon, of a Daughter.

Tuesday, May 15, 1894

Married, - At Xuka, Xalanga, on May 9th, by the Rev. T. OLDMAN, J.W.C. HOLDING, Esq., M.D., to Katharine, eldest daughter of W.H. WIDDICOMBE, J.P.

Birth,- At Queenstown, May 8th, the wife of W.A. HILDER, of a Daughter.

Died,- At Clapton, district Cathcart, on the 4th May, George FULLER, aged 78 years. Deceased came out with the Settlers of 1820.

Died,- At “Glendower,” near Maraiesburg, May 6th, 1894, Owen Stubbs PARKER, from inflammation of the lungs, aged 38 years and 8 months, youngest son of the late James PARKER, of Kington, Herefordshire, England.

Friday, May 18, 1894

Died,- At Queenstown, Tuesday, 8th May, 1894, Herbert G., the sixth and beloved son of John and Lily AUSTEN, aged 2 years and 9 months.

Tuesday, May 22, 1894

Birth,- At King Williamstown, on the 14th May, the wife of Mr. Reuben LLOYD, of Ncuncuri, of a son.

Birth,- At Queenstown, on May 21st, the wife of Robt. H. IMPEY, of a Daughter.

The Death of Mr JACKSON of St. Marks.
It will be remembered that last month we announced the death of Mr. JACKSON under mysterious circumstances at Johannesburg. The case is being subjected to strict enquiry by the officials of the Transvaal. The Critic Says. A case, similar to the Andrews Lind mystery, occurred at the Driefontein Hotel, out Germiston way, which stands in a fair way of being smothered, unless some steps be at once, taken by the authorities to elicit the full particulars. It appears that on the 14th February, an overseer at Glencairn mine was found dead in his bedroom at the hotel named, the result of a revolver shot. The revolver lay some distance away, and had apparently been placed where it was discovered. The Field-cornet, the now famous J.G. MEYER of Rachmann notoriety, gave a certificate for the burial without mentioning the cause of death. The certificate was written by a policean (MEYER, on his own showing, whilst on oath in the RACHMAMN case, “can only write a bit”). Dr. Benjamin W. HALL, M.R.C., S.E., L.M.L., certified that the deceased “had shot himself through the head and was dead” when he arrived, “the deed having been only just committed” On the Friday following the body was buried: but, owing to some agitation on the part of the friends of the deceased, who suspected foul play, it was exhumed on the next day, before the District Surgeon of Boksburg, Dr. ZIERVOGEL, a Sergeant of police and Detective POOLE from Johannesburg.   Neither the Field-cornet nor the Public Prosecuter of the district attended and no evidence was led. It is surmised, with some show of reason, that JACKSON was murdered; but no definite statement, one way or the other, can be got from the officials, by the deceased’s relatives, who reside in the Cape Colony. Whether the case can be one of murder or of suicide, a strict investigation should be held in the matter, as much for the sake of the proprietor of the hotel, where the tragedy occurred, one COOPER, as in the interests of the public in general.
The Standard and Diggers News, says, Some weeks ago a man named JACKSON employed as overseer, or in some such sort of capacity, at the Glencairn GM Co., was found shot through the head with a revolver in a private room attached to a canteen at Elandsfontein. The tragedy is supposed to have been enacted about eight or ten in the morning. In the telegraphic despatch from Germiston we published at the time reporting the affair, the occurrence was described as a suicide, and in that light it was generally interpreted. Subsequently, however, information reached us that it had not been proved from the circumstances of the incident that the deceased had positively taken his own life, and that there was much in the matter that cried for a searching investigation. To set our vague doubts at rest, and to assist a surviving relative who lent no credence to public explanations of the death, a representative was prompted to go down to Boksburg yesterday to interview the local Authorities in relation to the late Mr. JACKSON’s death.
In the course of a conversation with Mr Glynn ROTH, the Boksburg Public Prosecutor, he found that the Authorities shared in the doubts furtively expressed. From various documents courteously disclosed to us, it appeared that Dr ZIERVOGEL, Boksburg District Surgeon, had held an inquest upon the remains, but had preferred to defer his judgement until some points and features of the affair, which at present bear a sinister complexion, had been satisfactorily cleared up. Mr GLYNN-ROTH went the length of writing to the Acting State-Attorney and openly expressing the suspicions he entertained, and still entertains, and asked for instructions as to what course of action to pursue with regards to a man named COOPER, whose revolver was found lying close by the body of the deceased JACKSON, and between whom and JACKSON a bitter commercial quarrel was alleged to be raging. For some unaccountable reason Dr. Schagen van Leeuwen, Chief of the Criminal Department in the State Attorney’s Office (in whose hands Mr. GLYNN- Both’s communications presumably falls for treatment) had up to date neglected to reply. And there that matter rests at the present time. Detectives DONOVAN and POOLE were sent by Chief Detective FERGUSON to assist the Boksburg Authorities in pursuing enquiries but the results of their investigations appear to have been nil.
JACKSON was formerly associated in business with COOPER, and COOPER owed JACKSON a considerable sum of money, it is said they quarrelled; COOPER lived on the premises where JACKSON met his heath; a revolver, said to be COOPER’s, was found by the corpse, These data and information have been furnished us officially....

Friday, May 25, 1894

Drowned at Sea Point
Sad death of a Lady
A sad drowning accident happened at Sea Point on Saturday afternoon last. It appears (says the “Cape Times”) that early in the afternoon Miss SOMERS, the elder of two sisters who kept the Alphen House Hotel, left home with the object of taking a walk along the beach. When leaving Miss SOMERS said that she would not require any lunch, as she was going to make a call upon some friends. The lady took with her a volume of Thackeray...
About four o’clock in the afternoon two young men, Ross and Spyker, who had been fishing in a small boat about half a mile off Three Anchor Bay, noticed the body of a lady in the water. The body was fully dressed, except that it was without boots. The body was taken to land, and was identified by a man named BENNETT as that of Miss SOMERS. Mr BENNETT was acquainted with the lady, as he had assisted in furnishing the hotel and had seen her as late as the previous night... All the circumstances of the case point to the view that the lady fell into the water whilst in a faint and was drowned.
Some months ago the Misses SOMERS came to Capetown in the Union steamer “Greek” from Teneriffe. Soon after landing they purchased the Alphen House Hotel, and the deceased lady has been especially energetic in making the place what it now is. She was not very strong, being subject to fits of headache and dizziness which led to faints...

Tuesday, May 29, 1894

Died,- At Aliwal North, on 24th inst. Elfreda May, infant daughter of Dr. And Mrs. WATSON.

Died,- At Queenstown, on Friday, 25th, Georgina Margaret, beloved wife of John MEADE, and only daughter of the late J.G. BREMNER, aged 40 years 10 months and 7 days.

In loving memory of Sophia, the beloved wife of E.M. TURVEY, Queenstown, who died on the 25th inst., aged 77 years.

It is our mournful duty to have to record the demise of Mrs TURVEY wife of Mr E.M. TURVEY, a lady than whom no one was more respected and esteemed in Queenstown. Mrs TURVEY came to this country with her parents in 1821, when only three years of age. For many years she resided in Grahamstown where also she married Mr E.M. TURVEY. Later she lived with her husband on Table Farm, on the Klaassmits River and old travellers still gratefully remember her hospitality at a time when accommodation houses were scarce and railways unknown in this country. For the last 35 years she lived with her husband in Queenstown. About a year ago she was seized with a paralletic stroke and she was never herself again after that but gradually declined, and passed away peacefully on Friday last. She leaves 7 children, forty grand-children and nineteen great grandchildren to mourn their loss. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon and was largely attended...

Friday, June 1, 1894

In loving Memory of Sophia, the beloved wife of E.M. TURVEY, Queenstown, who died on 25th isn’t., aged 77 years.

Friday, June 8, 1894

Married,- In S. Michael and All Angels Church, Queenstown, on the 22nd May, by the Venerable Archdeacon GRANT, assisted by the Venerable Archdeacon COAKES and the Rev. Julius GORDON, M.A., Rector of the Parish, Arthur W.H. PEACICKE, Attorney-at-Law, to Katharine, second daughter of Egbert Garcia, Civil Commissioner and Resident Magistrate of Queen’s Town.

Tuesday, June 12, 1894

Birth,- On June 7th, at the Grey College, Bloemfontein the wife of H.T. ELLIOTT, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Dordrecht, on Saturday, 9th June, 1894, the wife of Mr. F.B. JOPLIN, of a Son.

Friday, June 15, 1894

Married,- At Wesley Church, Queenstown, on June 14th, 1894, by the Rev. R. LAMPLOUGH, assisted by the Rev. C.K. HODGES, C.E.S. BESTALL to Evelyn Rayner (Daisy) fourth daughter of David S. BARRABLE, J.P., Queenstown. – Not cards.

A Deliberate Suicide.
A sensation was caused in Queenstown on Tuesday morning by the report that Mr S.J. GREEFF, had committed suicide on the farm he was occupying in the Bongolo. On enquiries a representative of this paper found the report with all its terrible details only too true. Mr GREEFF was known to almost everybody in Queenstown, he has farmed in this district form boyhood, and he lived in Queenstown itself for many years. Lately he had a run of bad luck and was known to be in financial difficulties; but no one ever contemplated the possibility of his wanting to do away with himself. The details of the suicide are so horrible as almost to make one’s blood run cold. On Tuesday morning he went into the garden with several of his children, and took with him a fowling-piece. He met Mr J.R. BOTHA who was staying at the farm, and had a very friendly conversation with him, and on leaving casually mentioned that he was bent on shooting some rock pigeons in the garden. In the garden he picked an orange for each of the children, and told them that they should wait there until they heard him shoot, he would try and shoot them a pretty bird, they should thereafter run to where he was. What followed can of course only be presumed although the details are as nearly as possible fixed by the evidence taken at the inquest. It appears the deceased went to a gap in the quinche hedge, that borders the garden, unbuttoned his coat and waistcoat hooked the trigger of the gun on to a branch and then pulled the barrel on to his chest, the gun exploded and sent a charge of shot right into his heart. When his children arrived on the scene he was already dead. On Monday afternoon he told his eldest son that he must look well after his mother, as he (the speaker) was going to leave them. This seems to be the only indication he gave of his intention to commit suicide. An inquest was held on the body on Tuesday by the Field-cornet, Mr HARDING, and a verdict of “suicide” was returned. The deceased leaves a widow and ten children, practically penniless. He was in the prime of his manhood, physically as fine a specimen of a South African Dutchman as one could wish to put eyes on.

Tuesday, June 19, 1894

Quite a gloom was cast over the town on Sunday when the news spread that Mr John Edkins had suddenly died in his rooms at the Masonic Hotel. Seeing that the deceased was enjoying excellent health lately, the sad news of his sudden death came as a great shock to his many friends. Mr EDKINS was the eldest son of the late Mr John EDKINS, and he came to Queenstown when quite young with his father at the time of the foundation of the town. He was educated at what was then the Shaw College at Grahamstown. He entered the service of the Bank of Africa and had a very successful career in that institution. He was manager at Uitenhage, then at Queenstown, and later at Kind Williamstown. Ultimately he left the Bank and joined the merchant service. For the last six years he was book-keeper to the firm of Messrs Charles BROWN and Co., Queenstown, and he may be said to have died in harness. Mr EDKINS was liked and esteemed by everyone who came in contact with him as a generous, kind hearted, good fellow. The immediate cause of death was an apoplectic stroke. Not coming to breakfast on Sunday morning, Mr HEYDENRYCH sent a waiter to his room to call him, the waiter found him lying on the floor in a fit, unable to speak. He was half dressed at the time and must have been taken suddenly ill while dressing. The doctor was immediately sent for, but deceased was too far gone already, and all Dr BATCHELOR could do was to order the dying man’s relatives to be called. Deceased lingered on for some hours, and at 2 p.m. he expired in the arms of his brother, Mr T.W. EDKINS. To the bereaved relatives we offer our sincere sympathy in their grief.

A Durban Tragedy.
A distressing discovery was made on the Berea. On Friday last. A native servant, getting no answer, opened the door and found his master, Mr. R.H. GOODEN, Durban representative of the great liquor firm of Burke & Co., prostrate across the bed. The alarm was given and he was found dead and his young wife also. The latter was crouched on the floor, holding on to the bed-post, and it is supposed that she died from shock on finding her husband dead. They had been married six weeks. It is stated that no marks of violence were found, but a post mortem is – being held.

Friday, June 22,1894

Died,- At Molteno, on the 19th June, the infant son of Mr. And Mrs. F.B. JOPLIN.

Tuesday, June 26, 1894

Died,- At Queenstown, on Sunday, 17th June, John EDKINS, aged 45 years, eldest son of the late Mr. John EDKINS, of Grahamstown.

LETCHER-START.- Married at Mount Arthur on the 21st June, 1894, by the Revd. J. START (father of the bride), Revd. M.J. LETCHER (Wesleyan Minister) to Miss Evelyn START, eldest daughter of the Revd. Joseph START.

Friday, June 29, 1894

Married, - In Wesleyan Church, Queenstown, on the 19th June, by the Revd. A.H. HODGES, William Connell ROBINSON to Harriet Annie MAYTHAM, daughter of the late Mr. W. MAYTHAM. – No cards.

Wedding at Mount Arthur
(“Free Press” Correspondent.)
Last Thursday the 21st inst. Was a gala day at that quiet and beautiful spot, the occasion being the marriage of Miss START, eldest daughter of the Rev Joseph START the resident missionary, to the Rev M.I. LETCHER, late of Barkly East...
Punctually at 11 a.m. the bride, accompanied by her four sisters, Misses Maggie, Vennie, Gertrude and Mabel...


1880 to 1899