Queenstown Free Press

Queenstown Free Press 1895 1 January - June

Friday January 11 1895

Drowning Fatality.
An inquest was held by the R.M. on Wednesday morning on the body of Mr. W.H. ADAMS, a European, described as a watchmaker, who was found drowned in the Komani near the Railway Bridge. It appears from the evidence that Mr. ADAMS was in the habit of bathing in a deep pool just above the Railway Bridge, his clothes too were found on the bank and his body when discovered was perfectly naked. It is presumed, therefore, that while in the water he was overtaken by a fit and drowned. A verdict of accidentally drowned was returned. The unfortunate fellow was buried on Wednesday afternoon.

Tuesday, January 15, 1895

Birth,- At Qamata Poort, on Monday, 31st Dec., 1894, the wife of C.A. SELLING, of a Son.

Friday, January 18, 1895

Died,- On Sunday, January 13th, at Sterkstroom, Gladys FARLEY, aged 10 months…

Died,- At Grey Street, Queenstown, on January 12th, 1895, William James WATKINGS, age 36…

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 12th Jany., the wife of Mr. A.Q. TYSON, of a Daughter.

Friday, February 8, 1895

Died,- At Queenstown, at daybreak on the 5th Feby., 1895, Jennie, the loving and dearly loved wife of George E. FOX. No cards.

Tuesday, February 12, 1895

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 7th February, 1895, Henry Thomas LLOYD, of Bristol, England, aged 81 years, 1 month and 25 days.

Died,- At Rouxville, Orange Free State, February 3rd, 1895, William Valentine JOLLY, aged 39.

It is with regret that we have to record the death of Mr. Henry Thomas LLOYD, which sad event took place on Thursday afternoon last. The deceased, who had attained the age of 81 years, had enjoyed remarkably good health up to within two years ago, when his health began to fail, and during the last few weeks he became so poorly that he was confined to his room. He gradually became weaker, and on Thursday passed away very peacefully.
The late Mr. LLOYD was one of the Settlers of 1820, and came out to South Africa in the ship “Chapman.” After landing at Algoa Bay and remaining a short time there, he removed to Lower Albany, where he settled down for a number of years. As a young man he assisted in the Kafir wars of 1935, 1946, and 1847, and with many others suffered great loss. When the Transkei was given to the Fingoes, Sir Walter CURRIE, who was a great friend of the deceased, gave him a large grant of ground in the Transkei, where he resided until he removed to Queenstown.
The funeral took place on Friday afternoon, and was largely attended. Preceding the service at the cemetery, a very impressive ceremony was held in the Presbyterian Church, conducted by the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE, who also officiated at the grave.
The deceased leaves a large family of children, grand-children, and great-grand children, numbering about 80, to mourn their loss, to whom we tender our sincere sympathy in their sad bereavement.

Friday, February 15, 1895

Wreck on Natal Coast
“Norman Castle” to the rescue.
Full details of the wreck near Port Shepstone, of the sailing vessel Fascadale, of Glasgow, show that the affair was terribly sad. The captain of the ship, a fine steel four master, was left sick at Java, and the chief mate, Mr G. GILLESPIE, was in command. Up to the 5th inst. The ship had made a splendid voyage, then dirty weather set in, and the vessel got out of her course. She went ashore under full sail, it being pitch dark and land being only sighted just before she struck on the Imbazane rocks.
When daylight appeared many Kafirs were seen on the shore, and an attempt was made to float a buoy with a line which the Kafirs tried to swim to, but the risk was too great. The ship broke, and the crew, numbering twenty-eight men, forced to take to the rigging to avoid being washed overboard. All the boats but one were smashed, and this one could not be floated owing to the heavy sea. The men had been clinging to the masts for nine hours when the Norman Castle came up. It was impossible to go near, but the chief officer (Mr WHITEHEAD) volunteered to go with a boat. Then he bravely sprang into the boisterous sea with a line, an apprentice pluckily jumping from the wreck and swimming to him with another, whereby eighteen lives were saved. Captain GILLESPIE, with the mate, were the last to leave, and the former got washed away, and was only when utterly exhausted reached by Mr WHITEHEAD, who for the second time jumped into the sea at great personal risk. The second officer of the Norman with another boat also pluckily went to the assistance of the mariners, but there were seven man on board, whom it was impossible to save at the same time. They thinking they were being left, disappeared, and it is supposed tried to swim ashore. Nothing has yet been heard of them, but of three men who before the Norman came set out for the shore, two were drowned, being frightfully cut on their backs. It was a terribly trying time, and the conduct of the Norman’s officers and crew was highly eulogised on board. Mr WHITEHEAD was presented with an address by the passengers in which the second officer (Mr JENKINS) was also praised.
To-morrow at noon a public meeting is to be held in the Town-hall, Durban at which the Mayor will present Mr WHITEHEAD with an illuminated address, and afterwards entertain him at lunch at the club. The ship was completely broken up. The men saved nothing, and were all rigged out on the Norman, whose commander (Captain DUNCAN) is also much praised for his part in the sad affair.

Tuesday, February 19, 1895

Married. – DEACON-RUBIDGE- On the 22nd January, at the residence of Captain VON BRANDIS, by antinuptial contract, George H. DEACON, George H. DEACON, (eldest son of S.A. DEACON, Esq, J.P., of the “Springs,” Willowmore), to Isabella Ira GIlmoure, youngest daughter of A.P. GILMOURE, Esq, (of the once famous Portlock, Graaffreinett), and grand daughter of the late Captain Robert RUBIDGE, of the “Glen” Grahamstown.

We have to record the death of Mr. E.G. SLOWMAN, which sad event took place at Mrs WARD’s Borading House on Sunday. Mr. SLOWMAN, like so many other young fellows have done lately, came to Queenstown in search of health some months back; but his case was already so far advanced that even our climate was incapable of prolonging his life. To his bereaved friends in distant England we tender our sincere sympathy.

Friday, March 1, 1895

A Sad Boating Fatality
In the dry Karoo Strangers (says the Beaufort Courier) may well be surprised to hear that such a calamity could take place; and, fortunately, such an event is a very rare occurrence. Several boats, however, are used on the Reservoir for pleasure purposes, and danger is selfdom anticipated. When, however, the south-east wind is high, and the Reservoir is pretty full, the mimic waves are troublesome to those not fully at home in the management of a boat. On Wednesday morning three young men, railway employees, names PRESTON, CONMY, and GROSSE, went up to the embankment between twelve and one o’clock intending to have a row on the water.
On their arrival the latter, a married man, did not like the look of things, said the wind was too strong, and remained watching the others, who persisted in going out in a small canoe, made by an amateur. Suddenly the watcher saw the boat capsize and both men in the water; one sank immediately the other swam a short distance, but he, too, in a minute disappeared. Immediately GROSSE saw this happen, he rushed to the other end of the embankment and launched a well-made keel-boat, and proceeded with a coloured man to the spot where the men sank, but nothing could be done towards rescuing his friends. Parties were busy with grappling irons till late in the evening without success, commencing operations again early the next morning. Both the unfortunate young men were stokers, steady and respectable workmen, and much liked by their chiefs and comrades. PRESTON’s parents live in Kimberley, his sweetheart had not long since arrived from the old country, and is in Mrs. ROBINSON’s service. They were to have been married shortly. CONMY’s people are in Ireland, and he too was engaged to be married.

Tuesday, March 12, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 5th March, the wife of J.M. MELROSE, of a Son.

Friday, March 15, 1895

Married, - DASHWOOD-SPRING.- At Barberton, on the 27th February, by the Rev. J.C. WHITING, John, third son of F.L. DASHWOOD, Queenstown, Cape Colony, to Gertrude Wood, fifth daughter of Mr. H.D. SPRING, of Baberton.

Passed away,- On Wednesday the 6th March, 1895, Marian, the beloved wife of J.J. THERON, of Katberg, Stockenstroom.

Tuesday, March 19, 1895

Died,- At Queenstown, on March 13th, Frank EDWARDS, born in Wiltshire, England.

Birth, At Cathcart, on the 14th February, the wife of Maunsell LEWIS, of Merino Walk, Tylden, of a Son.

Friday, March 29, 1895

Died,- At the Frontier Hospital, Queenstown, on the 26th March, 1895, William Leonard LANE, aged 26 years within 4 days.

William Leonard LANE
This young gentleman who has for eighteen months been an inmate of the Frontier Hospital passed away suddenly at an early hour on Tuesday morning at the age of twenty-six years within four days. He came out to the Colony in search of health, but that fell disease consumption has seized him, and notwithstanding the kindest and best attention at the hands of the Hospital Staff, and many friends, his strength gradually gave way. His funeral yesterday afternoon was attended by Sister Alice, and the entire nursing staff, four of whom acted as pall-bearers. Mr. RUSCOE an old friend of the deceased being chief mourner, he having travelled from Bloemfontein, to pay a last tribute to the departed one...

Friday, April 19, 1895

On Wednesday afternoon a very pretty ceremony took place in the Wesley Church. The occasion being the marriage of Mr. F.J. MALLETT, son of the late Mr. C. MALLETT, to Miss DUGMORE, eldest daughter of Mr. H. DUGMORE, Whittlesea. ..
The Rev. T. SPARGO, Hilton, tied the nuptial knot; and he was assisted by the Rev. H.H. DUGMORE, the grand-father of the bride. The bride was given away by her father, Mr. H. DUGMORE....

Friday, April 26, 1895

Married.- WYLDE-HARVEY.- At Tylden, on April 17th, by the Rev. C. PARNELL, Edward Frederic, eldest son of F.W.K. WYLDE, Esq., of Stutterheim, to Nora, second daughter of the late Inspector E. HARVEY, C.P.

Fell asleep,- At Queenstowon on Saturday, 20th April, Daisy, beloved daughter of David Moir PATON, late of London, England, aged 13 years and 6 months.

Friday, May 3, 1895

Married,- At Hilton, by the Rev. SPARGO, on the 25th April, Wm. Edwin, eldest son of Wm. BARTLETT, Esq., of The Retreat, District Cathcart, to Rosa, youngest daughter of the Hon. Thos. BROWN, of Guilford, Queenstown District.

Tuesday, May 14, 1895

Birth,- At “Cosy Nook,” Queen’s Town, on the 7th May, 1895, the wife of C.E.S. BESTALL. J.P., of Ida, Xalanga, of a Daughter.

Tuesday, May 21, 1895

CURNICK-START.- Married in “The Thanksgiving Church,” Mount Arthur, on Thursday, May 16th, 1895, by the father of the bride, assisted by the Rev. D.B. DAVIES, Rev. Theo. R. CURNICK, of Butterworth, to Margaret Ann START, second daughter of the Rev. Joseph START, of Mount Arthur.

Friday, May 24, 1895

Wedding at Mount Arthur.
A very pretty and attractive wedding was solemnized at Mount Arthur last Thursday the 16th inst., the parties inter..ed being that very popular young lady Miss (Maggie) START, daughter of the resident Missionary, and that equally popular young Missionary the Rev. T.R. CURNICK, of Butterworth;...

Tuesday, May 28, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on May 26th, the wife of W. McKNIGHT, Esq., of a son.

Died,- On May 21st, at Cathcart Rd, Queenstown, Laures Bendtin Jensen LARSEN, aged 24 years and 7 months.

Death.- AHLFELDT.- At Port Elizabeth on the 23 May, 1895, very suddenly of heart disease, Charles Eugene AHLFELDT, aged 38, younger brother of Frederick Carl and Claude AHLFELDT.

Friday, May 31, 1895

Fifty years of Matrimonial Felicity.
Mr. And Mrs. JEFFREY of Kamastone celebrating their Golden Wedding.
A very interesting ceremony took place at Kamastone on Saturday last (May 25th) when Mr. And Mrs. JEFFREY celebrated the 50th anniversary of their wedding day. The respected and happy couple were the recipients of a great number of congratulatory messages during the course of the day. Three sons, two daughters, and 15 grand-children were present; and altogether, about 30 adults, mostly relatives, sat down to dinner on this memorable occasion. The Rev. C.K. HODGES presided, and during the course of the proceedings spoke with respect, admiration, and affection, of Mr. JEFFREY’s and his estimiable partner’s many sterling qualities. Mr. Purdon JEFFREY very ably and very touchingly, proposed the healths of the bride and bridegroom of half a hundred years ago, and paid a filial and beautiful tribute to the consistency, the integrity, the nobility of his parents’ private, as well as public life. We learn that Mr. JEFFREY was appointed to Kamastone some forty years ago, as assistant to the Rev. W. SHEPSTONE, in his mission work; but after some time, the Government recognising his great abilities and sterling character, promoted him to the position of Superintendent of natives; the arduous duties of which post he honourably discharged until about a year ago, when he retired on a pension, honoured and respected by all who had been associated with him. The only note of regret in the whole proceedings was that Mr. JEFFREY had been in indifferent health for some time past, and fears were entertained that he would not be able to take any part in the interesting ceremony of Saturday last. Fortunately however, these fears proved groundless, and in responding to the toast of the bride and bridegroom of half a century ago, Mr. JEFFREY fulfilled a promise made some time previously to the Rev. C.K. HODGES, and told the story of his love, this was listened to with rapt attention by all present; but more especially by the younger portion; the conclusion arrived at, however, was, that love making was pretty much the same delightful kind of experience, whether passed through in the forties, the seventies or nineties.   There were many flashed of humour in Mr. JEFFREY’s reply but when he told us of his early extravagance in squandering his earnings on penny cigars – one per diem – we wondered that he had lived to tell the tale. We very sincerely join Mr. JEFFREY’s numerous well-wishers in congratulating his better half and himself upon their lovely and happy union, and unite in the oft expressed prayer that they may be spared to each other for many years to come, that their days may be long in the hand; and that the blessings besought for their closing years, may be multiplied a hundredfold.

Tuesday, June 4, 1895

Birth,- At Burghersdorp, on 25th May, 1895, the wife of H. Hardwicke ANDREWS, of a Son.

Tuesday, June 11, 1895

Birth,- At East London, on the 9th inst., the wife of Mr. R.W. WRIGHT, of a Daughter.

Died,- At Roydon, district of Queenstown, on the 31st May, 1895, J.J. FINCHAM, relic of the late Arthur FINCHAM, aged 74 years.

Died, At the Queenstown Frontier Hospital, of phthisis, on the 8th June, 1895, James A. SINCLAIR, son of B.G. SINCLAIR, Esq., of London, England.

Friday, June 14, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 12th June, the wife of Geo. DASHWOOD, of a Son.

Tuesday, June 18, 1895

The Old Veteran.
To-day (June 18th) eighty years ago the mighty struggle at Waterloo took place, which decided once for all the fate of the first Napoleon- But amongst the newer comers to Queenstown few are perhaps aware, that our township is still linked with that mighty event. We have in our midst, well cared for by the town, a very old veteran Richard HOUGHTON, who as a boy of fourteen was with the Iron Duke’s army. We interviewed him yesterday and although with failing faculties and getting a little mixed in his recollections, he says he still remembers the onslaught of the Prussians under Blutcher, and the grand charge of the English guards, which scattered the remains of the Grande Armie of France.

Friday, June 21, 1895

Birth,- At Kei Ben, on the 15th June, 1895, the wife of Mr. J.H.R. MORGAN, of a daughter.

Married,- At St. John’s, East London, on June 19th, 1895, by the Rev. J.W.J. CLARKE, assisted by the Rev. C.W. WALLACE, of Queenstown, Bernard James EWINS, son of the late Joseph EWINS, Newport, Mon., England, to Ruth, youngest daughter of the late C. PENNINGTON, Esq., Ulverston, Lancashire, England.

Tuesday, June 25, 1895

The late Mr. MAULLIN
It is our painful duty so record the death on Friday last of Mr. J. MAULLIN, one of the oldest residents of Queens Town Mr. MAULLIN’s brother Thomas was first of the family to arrive and opened a gunsmith’s business in the very early days. Mr. M.J. MAULLIN followed in 1861 and joined in the business, afterwards purchasing it out and out. He was a thorough business man, and had a capital run. It was only first class guns that he imported which gave him such a name as to en..ane success, and he was successfull making sufficient to live on after being disabled for work. – He was one of the leading masons in the early days: was worshipful master of the Star in the East Lodge and subsequently Past Principal of the Unity Chapter Royal Arch.- He was a member of the Choir of St Michaels, and took great interest in his church up to his illness in 1876. In that year he had a severe attack of rheumatic fever, and little hopes were entertained of his recovery. It left him paralized down the right side and such he remained ever since. Lately he has been subject to fits. On Friday morning he had a fit at four o’clock from which he never recovered passing away about noon of that day. The deceased leaves a widow and four children two sons and two daughters to mourn their loss, for whom much sympathy is felt. The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon, and was largely attended. Part of the funeral service was held in St Michaels Church, and the remainder at the grave, the Rev. J. GORDON officiating.

Print Email

1880 to 1899