Queenstown Free Press

Queenstown Free Press 1895 2 July - December

Tuesday, July 2, 1895

Married,- At St. Michael and All Angels Church, Queenstown, on June 26th, 1895, by the Rev. PARKHURST, William Walter WHITTAL, third son of the late John WHITTAL, of Gonubie, to Emma J. BACKHOUSE, fourth daughter of the late Philip BACKHOUSE, of Queenstown. – No Cards.

Married,- At St. Marks Mission Church, on the 25th isn’t., by the Ven. Archdeacon COAKES, Allan Mc D. CAMPBELL, C.E., to Jeanie Mitchell Low, third daughter of the late Hugh BISSET, of Bridge Farm, St. Marks, and formerly of Pitharrow, Scotland.

Married,- At Queenstown, on the 26th June, 1895, by the Rev. R. LAMPLOUGH, assisted by the Rev. R.R. MILLER, William MORUM, son of S. MORUM, Esq., to Miss (Florrie) HODGES, second daughter of Mrs. James HODGES. – No Cards.

Married,- On Monday, June 24th, at St. Patrick’s Pro Cathedral, by the Rev. Father HANTON, assisted by the Rev. Father BETHELEMY, Martin George Victor COLE, eldest son of Capt. Martin COLE (late 8th King’s Regiment), to Florence Mary Winifred Eulalie WILMOT, fifth daughter of the Hon. A. WILMOT, M.L.C., Grahamstown, South Africa.

Tuesday, July 9, 1895

We regret to announce the death at the age of 25 years and 11 months of Mr. Herbert R.M. READ, only son of Mr. And Mrs. R. READ of our town Mr. Herbert REID suffered from fever which affected the heart, and although all that loving parents, relatives and medical aid could do was done, he passed away quietly yesterday (Monday) morning. We tender our heartfelt sympathy to the sorrowing family in their sad bereavement.

Friday, July 12, 1895

Died,-At Queenstown, on the 8th July, 1895, Herbert Robert Morgan READ, only beloved son of Mr. And Mrs. R. READ, aged 25 years and 11 months.

Death of Mr. DEANS
It is our painful duty to record with feelings of profound and unfeigned regret, the death of Mr. DEANS, the joint editor and proprietor, along with Mr. VON LINSINGEN, of the Queenstown Representative. This sad event took place on Tuesday afternoon, and was the result of an affection of the heart.
Mr. DEANS had for some years been invalid, but there was nothing in his condition to indicate any such sudden collapse as that which has unfortunately overtaken him. He was in his ordinary health and spirits up to noon on Tuesday, and lunched at his hotel in the usual way. Later in the afternoon a sudden attack of heart disease supervened, and though his medical attendant Dr. COLLIE, did everything for him that was possible, he gradually sank and passed away peacefully.
Mr. DEANS was an able journalist and had had large experience on the Press, both at Home and in the Colony. For some time he was on the staff of the Cape Times, where his services were much appreciated, but his health not being good, he found the parliamentary reporting to be too great a tax on his strength, and had to seek a less onerous post. He was for a short time at Colesberg, Aliwal North and Cradock, after which he came to join Mr. VICKERS on the staff of the Representative, and only so recently as six weeks ago, when Mr. VICKERS disposed of his interest in that journal, he went into partnership with Mr. VON LINSINGEN, and was actively engaged in his duties right up to the moment of his death. The painful suddenness of that event, cast a gloom over the town, and his partner Mr. VON LINSINGEN is the object of widespread sympathy, in the sad bereavement which has fallen upon him.
The funeral of the deceased gentleman took place on Wednesday afternoon from the house of Mrs. BELL, where he had been residing...

The late Mr. READ
In our last issue just as we were going to press it was our painful duty to record the death of a young and promising townsman of ours, Mr. H.R.M. READ, only son of Mr. And Mrs. R. READ of this town. Further particulars are just to hand it appears some years ago he had rheumatic fever which left his heart weak. A few days ago he caught cold which turned to fever and flew to his heart; Dr. BATCHELOR was called in but did not give his parents much hope from the first. He gradually grew worse until last Thursday when he appeared to be getting better.
On Sunday he was again taken worse about 8 o’clock p.m. and became unconscious, remaining unconscious till his death, which took place on Monday morning at 11.30 in the presence of his family. It is our very sad duty to say that he had only been engaged a few months to a Queenstown young lady.
The funeral which took place on Tuesday was the largest that has taken place for many years in Queenstown, everyone we should think being present who could possibly get away fro business. All the shops having shutters up in the main street, showing respect for the deceased. The deceased was employed in Stevenson Mitchell and Co’s establishment. Four of his fellow shop assistants acting as pall bearers…
The Rev. Clarence WALLACE in the absence of the Rector officiated at the funeral service.

Tuesday, July 16, 1895

Died,- At Maclear, on 5th July, 1895, Jesse Spicer HONEY, aged 41 years.

Funeral of the late Mr O’HARA of Cathcart.
The remains of the late Mr O’HARA were consigned to their last resting place on Friday last. Being a very old and respected resident of the town, and having been o Past master of the Frontier Lodge of Freemasons, a large number of people attended the funeral as a mark of respect to the deceased.
In addition to the brethren of the Frontier Lodge of Cathcart; Pastmasters MAGER and RYAN, of the Star of the East Lodge, the worshipful master OTTEN and other brethren from the St Andrews Lodge, Queenstown were also in attendance.
The coffin was conveyed by the brethren to the Lodge; from whence the mournful procession started to the English Church, where the service was conducted by the Rev PARNELL, rector of Cathcart. The procession to the graveyard included a firing party of the Cathcart Mounted Rifles; Masonic brethren; Hearse; mourners: Good Templars; and the general public. The church service being concluded, Brother Pastmaster RYAN, then read the appointed Masonic service, after which he also delivered a short address at the graveside, which was listened to with respectful and mournful attention by those assembled there. The deceased gentleman leaves a wife and six children to mourn his loss.

Tuesday, July 23, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 12th inst., the wife of J.L. STOKE, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 15th inst., the wife of F. REID, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Sterkstroom, on the 12th July, the wife of T.W. DALY, of a Daughter.

Married,- At Kamastone, on the 17th July, by the Rev. C. HODGES, Richard S.W. PEVERETT ot Ellen, third daughter of J.D. BARNES, Esq., of Kamastone.

Friday, July 26, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 14th July, 1895, the wife of S.G. DECEERT, of a Daughter.

Wedding Bells
A pretty wedding was celebrated in Kamastone church on Wednesday last, when Miss Nellie BARNES, daughter of Mr J.D. BARNES, was united to Mr PEVERITT telegraphist of Queenstown. The Revd. C.K. HODGES performed the ceremony….

Tuesday, July 30, 1895

Married,- July 22nd, 1895, at Gordon’s Park, Sterkstroom, Walter Arthur PRICE to Susannah Helene MIDDLEWICK.

Birth,- At Queenstown on the 29th inst., the wife of C. GEBHARDT, of a Daughter.

Death of Mr WEBB
It is with extreme regret that we have to announce the death of Mr WEBB, acting temporary assistant editor of the “Representative,” which sad event took place early on Monday morning. Mr WEBB was not a journalist by profession, but had fro some time been engaged as a school teacher at Grahamstown. His health giving way, he removed some time ago to a school at Umtata, but not receiving any benefit there, he came on to Queenstown only about a week ago, where he secured a temporary post on the “Representative.” On Sunday he was taken alarmingly ill with hemorrhage of the lungs, and although his medical adviser did everything that could be done for him, he gradually … and expired early on Monday morning. This is the second serious bereavement sustained by our contemporary within three weeks; and following so quickly upon the demise of Mr DEANS, calls for much sympathy towards the proprietor of that journal, to whom we tender our sincere condolence.

Tuesday, August 6, 1895

FUHR-NIVEN.- At St. George’s Cathedral, Capetown, by special licence, on the 30th of July, the Rev. Gladstone HAWKE officiating, Harry A. FUHR, eldest son of E.A. FUHR, Esq., of Chelsea Gardens, South Belgravia, London, to Mary Elise NIVEN, eldest daughter of the late Major General Nowan NIVEN, late in command of the 68th Regimental district and formerly of the 1st West India Regiment.

Birth,- At Imvani Station, on the 29th July, the wife of Herbert TYLER, of a Daughter.

Fatal Railway accident near Cathcart
On Saturday evening, an accident took place on the railway, near to Gaika Loop by which a man named MOSS, lost his life. MOSS was an assistant to a ganger, and by some means not yet fully explained, was knocked down by a passing train, run over, and so dreadfully injured that he died almost immediately.

Friday, August 9, 1895

Married,- July 22nd, 1895, at Gordon’s Park, Sterkstroom, Walter Arthur PRICE to Susannah Helene MIDDLEWICK.

MORRIS-GAMMIE,- At St. Michael’s Church, Queenstown, on the 7th inst., by the Rev. J. GORDON, M.A., Arthur Ernest MORRIS, of Johannesburg, to Elizabeth Reidford, second daughter of Mr John GAMMIE, of Queenstown.

Killed,- At Surbiton Summit, by railway train, on Saturday, the 3rd inst., Levi MOSS, aged 39 years and 5 months, the beloved step son of J.A. SPOLDING, of Essex.

Wedding at St. Marks
On Tuesday, 30th July, the quiet little village of St. Marks was enlivened by the marriage of Mr. L.F.E. FARRANT of Cala to Miss Emily (Dollie) BARR, third daughter of Mr. D. BARR of St Marks.
Both Miss BARR and Mr. FARRANT are well-known and very popular in the district and, in fact, for miles round, so that their approaching wedding attracted a lot of notice and caused much excitement. Tuesday morning promised badly, as the sky was overcast and the atmosphere cold, but towards half-past ten the much wished-for sun that was to shine on the happy bride began to show and by half-past eleven the beauty of the day was all that could be desired. About ten o’clock vehicles of all sorts and sizes began to drive into the village and all the householders had to do their best to give accommodation to such an unusual influx of visitors.
The ceremony was to take place at half-past twelve in the picturesque old Mission Church,…

Nuptial Knots
On Monday last a very pretty wedding was celebrated at the Roman Catholic Church by the Revered Father MAGGIOROTTI, the contracting parties being WH BENSON of Adare County Limerick and Miss Alice MEADE of Queenstown…
…a reception was held at the residence of the uncle of the bride, Mr. Walter Hill BREMNER.

Tuesday, August 13, 1895

BENSON.-MEADE.- At the Roman Catholic Church, Queen’s Town, on the 5th instant, by the Rev. Father MAGGIOROTTI, William Henry BENSOM, of Adare, County Limerick, Ireland, to Alice MEADE, eldest daughter of Mr. John MEADE, of Queenstown

MORRIS.-GAMMIE.- At St. Michael’s Church, Queenstown, on the 7th inst., by the Rev. J. GORDON, M.A., Arthur Ernest MORRIS, of Johannesburg, to Elizabeth Reidford, second daughter of Mr. John GAMMIE, of Queenstown.

Marriage of Miss EWINS.
A pretty little wedding took place at St. Michael’s Church on Thursday afternoon, when Miss Maria Elizabeth EWINGS, (sister of the genial organist of St. Michael’s) pledged her troth to Mr. William Brooks THORN, of Karee Kloof, District of Hopetown…
Punctually to time the bride arrived, leaning on the arm of her brother….

Friday, August 16 1895

Married,- At East London, on the 12th inst., by the Rev. J. THEOBALD, J. BALL, of Queenstown, to Ada, eldest daughter of W. STUMBLES, Esq., St. Ives, Huntingdonshire, England.

Sad and Shocking Fatality.- The Johannesburg Star narrates how, on Monday the 22nd, a sad and painful accident befell Miss Ruby BENNETT, daughter of Mr. C.G. BENNETT (formerly of Grahamstown) at Jeppestown. With some other children, she was playing at the back of Mr. BENNETT’s house, near the Wesleyan Chapel. One of them, the unfortunate little girl herself, it is believed, set fire to the grass; a train passing at the time distracted her attention from it, and she was either pushed or fell into the burning grass, and her clothes ignited. She ran home screaming, with her clothes all aflame, and when she arrived there she was completely enveloped in flames, nearly every bit of clothing being burnt off her. The kitchen boy at once threw water over her, and tore off the burning fragments of clothing, and assistance was sent for, when the little thing was found to be in a terrible condition. She progressed, however, very satisfactorily up to Friday, when serious symptoms began to show themselves, which became more acute on Saturday, and on Sunday morning the poor child succumbed, her senses retained to the last, though suffering great pain. She was between nine and ten years of age, and was a most loveable and endearing little thing.

Friday, August 30, 1895

Birth,- On the 19th inst., at Nququ, in St. Marks District, the wife of Thomas C. LIGHT, of a Son.

Friday, September 6, 1895

Birth,- At Bolotwa, on Tuesday, Aug. 27th, the wife of D.A. KIDSON, of a Son.

Tuesday, September 10, 1895

Birth,- HILLIER.- At Johannesburg on the 5th instant, the Wife of Dr. HILLIER of a Son.

Friday, September 13, 1895

A very pretty wedding took place on Wednesday afternoon in the Presbyterian Church when Miss FG WILSON was united for ever to Mr MJ LOGAN, the popular Secretary of the Queenstown C.C…
The costume was made by the bride’s aunt, Mrs J.H. HENRY of Kimberley. The bridemaids were Miss A WILSON, Miss Winnie LOGAN, and Miss Jean WOOD…
The bridegroom was attended by his brother, Mr EH LOGAN, as bestman, with Mr J WILSON and Mr J GAMMIE, (jnr.) as groomsman…

Tuesday, September 17, 1895

Birth,- On the 13th inst., the wife of G.S. GARDNER, of a Son.

Friday, September 20, 1895

On Wednesday, 11th inst., at the Presbyterian Church, by the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE, Florence Ida WILSON, eldest daughter of Mr. J.V. WILSON, of Queenstown, to Matthew James LOGAN, eldest son of Mr. W.G. LOGAN, of Aliwal North.- No cards.

Friday, September 27, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on 24th September, 1895, the wife of H.P. VENTER, of a Son.

Tuesday, October 1, 1895

Died,- At the Residency, Kamastone, on the 27th September, 1895, Edward Charles JEFFREY, Esq., J.P., late Superintendent of the Oxkraal and Kamastone Locations, aged 74 years and 8 months, leaving a disconsolate widow, and a large family of children and grandchildren to mourn their loss.

Death of Sergeant-Major JACKSON
We regret to have to record the death at one o’clock on Sunday afternoon of Sergeant-Major JACKSON of the Queenstown Volunteer Rifles. The deceased had been in the Frontier Hospital for the last two months suffering from diopsy Which was probably contracted during his visit to East London with the local cadets when the weather was exceedingly wet. The deceased wsa at one time captain and adjutant of the 55th Regiment (St. Batt. Border Regiment) and afterwards joined the ranks of the Cape Mounted Rifles as a trooper. With this regiment he served in the Basuto and Gcaleka wars. He came to Queenstown, about seven years ago as sergeant-major and drill instructor to the Queenstown Volunteer Rifles has served as such ever since. He was we believe a son of a surgeon-general in the Indian Medical Staff, and has a brother lately commanding a battalion of the Royal Irish (18th Regiment).
The funeral which was conducted with due military ceremony took place on Monday afternoon. A sergeant’s firing party followed the coffin and fired three volleys over the grave and the procession was preceded by the band playing the “Dead March” in “Saul”. At the graveside the band played “Abide with me.” The service in St. Michael’s Church and at the grave side was impressively conducted by the Rev. Julius GORDON, Chaplain of the Regiment.
The deceased was well liked in the town, especially by the Volunteers, many of whom, officers and men followed the corpse to its last resting place. He was of a cheerful disposition, full of amusing anecdote, and exceedingly entertaining, and preserved his customary demeanour to the last.

Mysterious Death
On Saturday week, in the morning, Mr J SQUIRES drove into Dordrecht. He returned late and driving against a wire fence broke his cart and harness. He probably found he could get no further so started on foot for home but presumably took the wrong road for he was found lying dead in the veld next morning very near a farmhouse. The farmer stated that he heard a noise in the night but thought it was a dog. It is surmised that Mr SQUIRES was hurt in the accident at the wire fence. A medical man says he perished from cold and exposure. He leaves a wife and family unprovided for. Mr SQUIRES was formerly in business in Queenstown as an auctioneer and general agent in connection with Mr HAGAN. Subsequently he was for a considerable time in Sterkstroom.

Friday, October 4, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on 24th September, 1895, the wife of H.P. VENTER, of a Son.

Died,- At the Residency, Kamastone, on the 27th September, 1895, Edward Charles JEFFREY, Esq., J.P., late Superintendent of the Oxkraal and Kamastone Locations, aged 74 years and 8 months, leaving a disconsolate widow, and large family of children and grandchildren to mourn their loss.

News in Brief
For Australia.- Mr. VISSER, of Koeberg, and Mr. HALSE, of Carnarvon two farmers selected by the Government to report on the growth of cerceals in Australia, left by the S.S. Damascus on Saturday.

Tuesday, October 8, 1895

The Capetown papers record the death of Mr W TITTERTON from pneumonia. Mr TITTERTON was an old resident of Queenstown and was connected by family ties with a large number of well knwon families in the town and district. Mr TITTERTON was employed as financial manager to Messrs JJ HILL, the celebrated sweets and jam manufacturers of Darling-st, and was a well known figure in business circles in Cape Town.

The Late Mr EC JEFFREY of Kamastone
Mr EC JEFFREY, of Kamastone, died on Friday evening, September 27th, after a severe illness of nearly twelve months, He was over seventy-four years of age and had been about fifty five years in the Colony.
At the age of 18 he emigrated from England, first residing in Capetown for two years, then in Grahamstown for three years and in Cradock for five years Whilst in Cradock, during the war of 1832 he came to assistance of his country and joined a party of men who went over from Cradock to relieve Whittlesea. During this period of his life he was, as afterwards, esteemed for his geniality and readiness to assist in every good word and work. His business career was marked by perseverance and uprightness.
He went to reside in Kamastone about the year 1853, where he opened business. Some time afterwards he opened a school at that place, where he did good service for some years in educating the youth of the district. He was a pillar in the Kamastone Wesleyan Church assisting in all departments of its work, as Lay Preacher, Sabbath School teacher, Steward and Class Leader. Many years ago, when the Rev W SHEPSTONE paid a visit to England he took over the entire charge of the Circuit until that Minister’s return.
In 1873 the Government, recognising Mr JEFFREY’s marked abilities and sterling character appointed him as Superintendent of Natives and special Justice of the Peace, which position he faithfully and honourably filled until a year ago when he retired on a pension. He won the esteem and respect of all by his impartiality and justice – tempering justice with mercy – and succeeded in a marked degree in influencing the Natives to live lives on industry and honesty. In May last he and Mrs JEFFREY celebrated their golden wedding when his children and grandchildren gathered together under the paternal roof to tender their aged parents their loving congratulations.
Towards the end of 1894 Mr JEFFREY was afflicted with a severe stroke which completely laid hi aside. He bore his sufferings with true Christian patience and without a murmer. A few weeks ago he was attacked by influenza which hastened his end. He was interred in the burial ground at Kamastone on Sunday, September 29th. The funeral service was conducted in Kamastone Wesleyan Church by the resident minister, the Rev Charles K HODGES, when between four and five hundred friends – English and Native – gathered together to show the respect and affection in which they held their departed friend.

Tuesday, October 22, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on Saturday, the 19th inst., the wife of J.B. KIRTEN, of a Son.

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 8th October, 1895, the wife of William J. LOGAN, of a Daughter.

Friday, October 25, 1895

Birth.- At Cala on 11th inst., the wife of Lieut. E.A. TAPLIN, of a daughter.

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 22nd October, 1895, Mary BELL, relict of the late Edward Russell BELL, aged 93 years.

The Late Mrs. BELL
We regret to record the death of the oldest inhabitant of Queenstown, Mrs Mary BELL, who passed quietly away at three o’clock, on Tuesday last, at the age of 93 years. The deceased lady may be regarded as one of the pioneers of Queenstown. Born in 1802 she came to the Colony with her husband and family in 1842, and came from Grahamstown in the troublous times, in 1853, when Queenstown was bare velt. The family lived in tents and the sons, Messrs H and A BELL, set to work to build a room, after which they hired some masons to put up a house alongside the room which was done. Just as the house was finished a great storm came and blew the whole thing down on top of Mr and Mrs BELL who was sleeping inside on the floor. Mr BELL was saved from injury by having made his bed under a table, but Mrs BELL when extricated from the ruins afther much difficulty was found to have sustained a severe injury to the hip. She was taken to Mr BEALE’s house, which was next door and after about three months was sufficiently recovered to get about again. She then went to live at Rathwick and used to frequently come into town, walking each way. About 20 years ago her hip began to trouble her again and she sought the aid of a stick in walking. The stick was subsequently cast aside for a crutch and then two crutches. Subsequently matters became worse and a bath chair was provide for her but one day a Kafir overturned the bath chair, lady and all, and she would never trust herself in it again. For the last twelve years she had occupied a wheeled chair in which she was moved about and this was her sole exercise. She was conscious of the presence of the members of her family up to the last and passed away through senile decay and sheer old age.
The deceased lady was the daughter of Dr CREIGHTON, of Dundee, who was in his time a celebrated specialist. She was also a cousin of Sir David BAXTER. She was the widow of the late Mr Edward Russell BELL, who was well known throughout the Eastern Province, especially in Queenstown, he being a brother of the late Chief Justice Sir Sydney BELL. Of the nine children who came to the Colony with the deceased, seven sons and two daughter, there are only two alive Mr A BELL (son of Queenstown and Mr Herman BELL (son) of Grahamstown. There are a large number of grandchildren and distant relatives to the late Mrs BELL in the division and she was connected by family ties with a wide circle which may be said to extend all over Cape Colony. We tender our sympathy to all.
The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon. The service was conducted at the house by the Rev. JP RITCHIE, and there was a representative gathering of townspeople present. The pall bearers were Dr BERRY, M.L.A., Mr FH JONES, Mr AD WEBB and Mr J RYAN. Among those who followed to the grave were Mr AC BELL, (son) Mr ER BELL, (grandson) and Mr GASSON.

Tuesday, October 29, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 22nd October, the wife of Mr. E BOND, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 28th October, 1895, the wife of Mr. J. GAMMIE, of a Daughter.

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 22nd October, 1895, Mary BELL, relict of the late Edward Russell BELL, aged 93 years.

Died,- GARNER- At Mkwonti, on October 21st, Emily Ernestine Louise GARNER, wife of Richard Berrington GARNER, of Mkwonti, Tsomo, aged 30 years and 11 months.

October 26th at the Church of S. John the Evangelist, East London, by the Ven. Archdeacon of King Williamstown (father of the bride) assisted by the Rev. J.N.L. CLARK, Walter Wyndham VERRALL, of Sydenham, England, to Marianne Grace GRANT.

The Late Mr. H. CALLAGHAN.
The remorseless reaper death has again been in our midst, and removed one of the most prominent men in our district. It is with extreme regret we have to announce the death of Mr Hugh CALLAGHAN, which sad event took place on Friday last a little after midnight, after a short illness in which everything was done to relieve the sufferings of the dear departed one. Dropsy at last set in and nothing could avail as the sufferer passed quietly away surrounded by all those near and dear to him who could be present. The late Mr CALLAGHAN was born in a frontier town two or three years prior to the Kafir war of 1835 in which his parents suffered with other residents on the frontier. He was living at Fort Beaufort during the war of 1850, and was present when Hermanus attacked that town, and made his way from the lower drift through the streets to the top of the town, when he was attacked by the inhabitants and driven back, losing his life while trying to escape.   The military were employed watching the other end of the town expecting an attack from the chief Macomo. He was also present at the engagement with the enemy at the Krome, in which the bandmaster of the 74th and several men of the regiment were killed. Mr CALLAGHAN was early in life attached to the Imperial Commisariat staff, having received the best education procurable in those troublesome times. He did not remain long on the staff, leaving it and entering into business in which he was successful. He came to Stormberg and Kloppersfontein and combined business with farming, afterwards removing to Ashby Manor, close to Queenstown, carrying on his farming operations. He was very hospitable his genial manner always according a hearty welcome to all visitors. He took an active part in all public concerns, and was for years a member of the Divisional Council, which position he occupied at his death.   He had a large family of sons and daughters and was twice married. The funeral took place on Sunday last, and was the largest witnessed in Queenstown for some years. The mourning cortege proceeded from the residence of Mr T BROSTER, to the Wesley Church, where the service was conducted by the Rev R LAMPLOUGH assisted by the Rev JP RITCHIE. Three sons followed, also his brother, Mr C CALLAGHAN Mr H ELLA, son-in-law, Mr BROSTER, from Kingwilliamstown, and Mr BARRY from Molteno, as chief mourners. The pall bearers were Messrs S MORUM, JA BREMNER, JA CHUBB, and A McGILLIWE. The coffin was deposited alongside of his first wife in the Presbyterian cemetery...

Friday, November 1, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 8th October, 1895, the wife of William J LOGAN, of a Daughter.

Birth,- At Queenstown, on the 18th October, 1895, the wife of Mr. W.J. WIGGILL of a Son.

Married,- At Wesley Church, Queenstown, on October 29th, 1895, by the Rev. C.K. HODGES, Frank Edwin HOWARD to Mary Ann Elizabeth JOHNSON.

An Editor’s Suicide.
On Monday last Mr. KLEINPENNING, editor of “Ons Land,” shot himself at the Sea Point Hotel near Capetown.

In Memoriam
In loving memory of Emmie, beloved wife of Richard Browne FARLEY, who died at Sterkstroom November 4th, 1894.

Died,- At Queenstown, South Africa, Thursday, October 31st 1895, Emma, wife of Robert CROOK.

Gone Over.- We regret to record the death of Mrs BERTRAM, an old Queenstown resident. The deceased lady was related by marriage to Mr AD WEBB of this town. The funeral on Sunday ws attended by a representative procession of townsmen. Another old resident has passed away in the person of Mrs CROOK who died on Thursday last at her residence, Cathcart-square, mourned by a large circle of friends.

Friday, November 15, 1895

Birth.- At Queenstown on the 10th November, 1895, the Wife of A.C. STEPHENSON, of a Daughter.

MALLETT-HILDER.- Married in Wesley Church, Queenstown, Cape Colony, on the 13th November, 1895, Thomas Henry MALLETT, of Tarkastad, to Agnes Hannah HILDER, of Witrigg Bromley, Kent, England. No cards.

Killed by Lightning,- During a lightning storm at Pilgrim’s Rest, one white man, six natives, and three oxen were struck dead. The white man who was named WELLS, was a timber-cutter. He leaves a widow and three children. It is believed WELLS must have died from the shock. There were no marks on the body and at the time of the fatality the deceased was standing under an iron verandah holding on an iron verandah post.

A brilliant and distinguished company gathered at Wesley church on Wednesday afternoon the occasion being the marriage of Mr T.H. MALLETT, of Tarkastad, son of the late Mr Charles MALLETT of Queenstown, and Miss Agnes Hannah HILDER, daughter of Mr W HILDER, of Bromley, Kent, England, and niece of Mr A MORUM and Mr S MORUM. The bride was given away by her uncle Mr A MORUM and was attended by two bridesmaids, Miss MORUM, daughter of Mr S MORUM, and Miss L MALLETT, sister of the bridegroom, and two flower girls, Miss Blanche MORUM, daughter of Mr S MORUM, and Miss May MALLETT, niece of the bridegroom. The happy bridegroom was attended by Mr Arthur MORUM as bestman and Mr B DUGMORE as groomsman. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. P TEARLE...

Tuesday, November 19, 1895

Birth,- At Queenstown on the 10th November, 1895, the Wife of A.C. STEPHENSON, of a Daughter.

PHILIP,- On the 8th November, at Stellenbosch, the wife of H.J. PHILIP, of a Son.

Tuesday, November 19, 1895

Missing.- Persons in possession of any information concerning the undermentioned missing people are requested to communicate without delay with the Colonial Office: -William A McDOWALL, relations of. Supposed to be residing in this Colony. Abraham BUTHERFORD: left Ireland some considerable time ago for South Africa. Benjamin MENKMAN (estate of); said to have left England for Cape Colony fifty-four years ago., and to have died about a year ago; was a sailor apprentice. JJ BUETSEGGER or BUCHEGGER, who is said to have resided in Plein-street, Capetown, about two years ago.

Friday, November 22, 1895

Birth.- At Ncuncusa, on the 15th November, the wife of R.U. LLOYD, of a Son.

Died,- At Queenstown, on 14th inst., Margaret Annie, wife of Michael ALMOND, at the age of 39 years.

Tuesday, November 26, 1895

Birth,- At Imvani, on the 23rd November, 1895, the wife of E.A. COGILL, a Son.

The Late Mr. HEATLIE
Few beyond the close friends and relatives of the Hon Thomas TENNANT HEATLIE can have been at all prepared for the news of his death. But lung complications make swift conquest of even the most robust and powerful. Mr HEATLIE was the last survivor of three sons of the founder of the family in this country, Thomas HEATLIE. He was thus first cousin to the poet Thomas PRINGLE, who’s mother was a HAITLIE (that is the Scottish mode of spelling the name), and through his mother he was grandson of the once well-known remarkable Commandant VAN NIEKERK, of Blaauwblommetjieskloof, the terror of evil-doers, the reformer of criminals. The late Mr HEATLIE’s father was a cavalry officer. He landed with his regiment (the 21st or 27th Light Dragoons) from the Elphinstone expedition in 1895, stayed at the Cape till the British occupation ceased in 1803, returned later, and as a private gentleman acquired, according to the deed in the Surveyor-General’s Office, from Colonel WW BIRD, the Colonial Secretary, the quitrent farm of Groenfontein, in what is now the Malmesbury district, 26th March, 1819, The year previous, January, 1818, he leased for twenty-eight year the farm Alexandersfontein.   It was given in freehold to one DENYSSEN... Married after to one of Commandant NIEKERK’s daughter’s he had by her three sons and several daughters, and Mrs UPTON and Miss HEATLIE are now the only survivors. These like the father were individuals with great force of character... Resolute in character, hard in physique, energetic to a degree, intelligently industrious, a devoted, tender, gentle husband, and ever-kind and indulgent father, and as a friend, as true as steel. It was his misfortune to loose his parents at an early age and to wrestle with Dame Fortune fiercely for years. Meanwhile in spite of many necessities and with the aid of a noble wife, he built up a competency. Then when ease should be looked for, faithfulness to a friend, an unfaithfulness to him by that friend’s kinsmen, swept all from him and his children, and life had to be begun anew. Bravehearted he faced to position, and slaved till he not alone regained his former station, but was able in his later years to well provide for his sons as they came on in life, and some of them were able to relieve him of business management. Brought up from his youth with a passion for, and amongst horses, and possessed of all the daring of his father he became one of the most dexterous of men in dealing with our unbroken horses this country has ever had.   His knowledge of horses, like his trade in them for years, was unequalled. There was not one that he would not master. Fingers and thumbs, wrists, arms, and legs, as well as ribs, by their scars and fractures testified to the severity of his experience with them. During the M..ny the Indian Government established a remount agency here. It was in close communication with the HEATLIES, but owing to some unsatisfactory proposals which it made to him, troop after troop of horses which he sent in was rejected, and less efficient ones were taken at the regulation price. All at once the entire supply was stopped: not a horse could be had. Then it was discovered that Mr HEATLIE held every available animal. The agency would not budge. It did not dare to tell the truth. HEATLIE was silent Feeling that he had been insulted by the proposals made to him, he remained inexorable. He would not yield. Friend intervened; the situation of the agency became critical; neither side would give way. At last, troops of horses were sent forward with rapidity by the agency, but whence they came no one then could tell. No one, however, could be had for less than £10 a head above the regulation price.
Many were the dealers which netted their clear £1,000 each on a troop. Then it was discovered that these were all the horses which the agency had rejected before when Mr HEATLIE sent them up. The profits on the extra charge went into other pockets. HEATLIE was avenged.
In more recent years Mr HEATLIE gave his attention, with the help of his sons, to the production of the now celebrated Prize Brandy. In this produce he has bequeathed to the Colony a manufacture absolute free from fusel oil. He has also done something for the farmers and the meat-eater. He introduced the first prize-bred black-headed, broad, short, fattailed, long-legged, Persian sheep, and only at his farm, Glen HEATLIE, could they, until comparatively lately, be found in the Colony. Now they are in the Midlands, and notably at Wood’s near Grahamstown.
For eighteen years Mr HEATLIE represented the North-western Circle in the Legislative Council, on each election being sent in at the head of the poll... From childhood he was a martyr to bronchitis. It drew him more than once to the edge of the grave. On his return from Johannesburg he seemed all right, but a few days ago lung troubles in the shape of pneumonia, set in, attacking an already predisposed victim. This associated with the bronchitis, made the struggle for recovery a hard one. The doctors soon had reason to fear the worst, and their fears were realised but too sadly, as mentioned at the beginning of the notes.
Mr HEATLIE was married to Miss BEETON eldest daughter of Mrs BEETON, better known to the present generation as the venerable and widely-esteemed Mrs. GRAHAM, who is still in Cape Town. By their marriage there are ten sons and one daughter still living. Among the former are Mr Arthur HEATLIE, C.E. the Cambridge University champion diver, captain and stroke of one of the famous crews there; Mr Barry HEATLIE, the first amateur football forward in South Africa; Sydney Herbert, and Thomas (the youngest of all), who are also well known at the leather; the Messrs Henry and William HEATLIE, at Storms Vlei, and Messrs Charles and Noble HEATLIE, who work the farms... Mr HEATLIE was in the sixty-seventh year of his age.

Death of Mr CJ PRICE.
We regret to have to record the death of Mr CJ PRICE of Tarkastad which took place on Thursday last after a long illness. The deceased was well known in the district having been one of the most successful and enterprising farmer around these parts. He was also for some time a member of the Divisional Council of Queenstown, but had to resign on account of ill health. The deceased was a son of the late Mr J PRICE of Bower Hope, near Tarkastad, and cousin of Mr W PRICE and Mr GH PRICE, better known as the PRICE Brothers, auctioneers of this town.

A telegram was received on Sunday announcing the death of Mrs HENELMAN at Fort Beaufort, sister to Mr J.G WEBSTER of this district...

Friday, November 29, 1895

Birth.- At Imvani, on the 23rd November, 1895, the wife of E.A. COGILL, of a Son.

Birth- At Ncuncusa, on the 15th November, the wife of R.U. LLOYD, of a Son.

Birth,- At “Prairie Lodge,” Queenstown, on November 23rd, 1895, the wife of W.B. SCOTT, of a Son.

Friday, December 6, 1895

Birth,- At Pretoria, on 28th November, the wife of V. Vincent FRAMES, of a Daughter.

Tuesday, December 17, 1895

Death in the Veld.- A white man named James WILSHIRE has been found dead in the veld near Graaff-Reinet. It would appear (states the local paper) the deceased left home early in the morning of the 28th isn’t. To carry a note to Mr. BOOYSEN, which had been handed to him by Mr. H. BEZUIDENHOUT on the night of the 27th isn’t. At the time of departure from his hut deceased appeared to have been in his usual state of health. Towards the latter part of the afternoon, as he had not returned, his wife ascended a kopje close to her hut from where she could scan a portion of BOOYSEN’s veld. She was, however, only successful in discovering the pony, upon which her husband had set out upon his journey, tied some distance away to a thorn bush. She then returned home and sent one of her sons, a load of about 11 years old, to fetch the animal. This was done; but no search was made that night, strange to say; but next morning the woman suspecting something had happened, despatched her two sons, aged 15 and 11 respectively, to look for their Father – and between 7 and 8 a.m., they came across his body, then fast decomposing. Deceased was said to have been a very hard drinker, but it would appear was never seen intoxicated. He was 65 years of age, hard working, and of a very in-offensive nature.

Friday, December 20, 1895

Died,- At Queen’s Park, district of Queenstown, on the 14th Dec., 1895, Mr. Stephen HARDING, aged 75 years and 11 months.

The Late Mr. Stephen HARDING.
It is our melancholy duty to record the death of Mr Stephen HARDING, of Queen’s Park, in this division. The deceased had for years been a sufferer from asthma, but up to Wednesday last appeared to be in his usual health. On that day he was visited by the Rev. JP RITCHIE, his pastor, and while talking became somewhat faint, and never seemed to rally, passing quietly away on Saturday, with his family and friends around him. Mr HARDING came to this Colony with Mr GARDINER in 1841, intending to become a settler and farmer in this country. They settled on Sand Flats, between Port Elizabeth and Grahamstown; but, after two years, Mr HARDING had to give it up, and went to Grahamstown and settled there. Here he married, and became possessed of some valuable property which he afterwards sold, and purchased a farm in the Cradock district. From this he removed to Cathcart Park, near Tylden, which farm he purchased and where he resided for six years.   Then he purchased the farm Queen’s Park, adjacent to Queenstown where he resided for the past 26 years. Mr HARDING has of late led a retired life, but in his earlier days he was most active, taking part in all discussions of the day. He was well up in farming, and was often consulted by his neighbours. He leaves a widow, four sons and three daughters to mourn their loss, to whom we tender our heartfelt sympathy. The funeral took place on Monday, the Rev JP RITCHIE officiating.

Tuesday, December 31, 1895

Died,- At Queenstown, on the 29th Dec., 1895, from acute laryngitis, Jessie Isabel, youngest and beloved daughter of E. And W.K. MAGER, aged 3 years and 2 months.

We regret to hear that a shocking case of suicide occurred on Christmas Eve at the residence of Mr J FITCHAT, the well-known baker and confectioner. This morning his son, Mr D FITCHAT, who was in the employ of his father, was found in the store room quite dead, with a bullet wound through his head, evidently self inflicted. The candle was burning, and the deceased’s rifle lying alongside. No cause is assigned for the rash act, but an additional element of tragic interest is added by the fact that the unfortunate young man, who was a fine smart lad of 23 years old, was to have been married shortly, his banns having been called last Sunday. We tender our sincerest sympathy to the bereaved friends and relatives, for whom this festive season is so suddenly changed into a time of mourning and sorrow. – “Friend.”

Print Email

1880 to 1899

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:725
So far this week:So far this week:5557
currently online: 17