Queenstown Free Press

Queenstown Free Press 1893 3 July - September

Tuesday, July 4, 1893

BIRTH.- At St. Marks, in Liverpool House, on the 27th June, 1893, the wife of J.H.R. MORGAN, Esq., of a son.

DIED.- At the Chronic Sick Hospital, Grahamstown, on June 27th, 1893, George Crawford, aged 10 years 11 months and 18 days, son of Thomas and Agnes DALE, Queenstown.

Tuesday, July 11, 1893

DIED.- At Queenstown, on Sunday the 9th July, 1893, after a pro-longed illness, the Rev. George CHAPMAN, aged seventy-five; for fifty-one years a Wesleyan Minister.

It is our mournful duty to record the death of the Revd. George CHAPMAN, who passed peacefully away on Sunday morning at five o'clock, after a long illness, in which he was called to bear much suffering.
As a Wesleyan Minister he was well known, loved and respected in the Eastern districts of the Colony, by both European and Native congregations, whilst as a Christian gentleman of unswerving rectitude, courteous although somewhat reserved demeanour and firm and dignified bearing, he certainly adorned his profession.
For over fifty years he was recognized as a minister of the Wesleyan Methodist Church and was in charge of some of the most important circuits in this Colony.
His first appointment was to the West Coast of Africa, where for some time he was in friendly intercourse with the subsequently troublesome King COFFEE, whose chief town, Coomassie, was destroyed by Sir Garnet WOLSELEY. The treasures Mr CHAPMAN saw in the Kings palace, were never secured by British troops, if the list, published in the papers at the time, was supposed to enumerate them all. The King was kind to Mr CHAPMAN and if his life had not been endangered and his health seriously impaired by repeated attacks of fever and ague, which none seem to escape in that deadly climate, he would probably have exercised as wholesome an inffuence as other devoted men have done in Fiji, Tonga and elsewhere. He was, however, invalided after about five years residence and had to return to England, when after a short interval, in which he married, he was placed in charge of the work at Boulogne, France. There he saw some happy days, and with his young wife, enjoyed very pleasant intercourse with both French and English residents. In 1848 he was appointed to South Africa and his career at King Williamstown, Somerset East, Peddie, Fort Beaufort, Grahamstown, Queenstown, Cradock, Heald Town, Lesseyton, and other places is an open book to hundreds in town and country. In the early days of Queenstown and King Williamstown, when the Methodist Chapel was used by all denominations, and the Methodist Minister officiated at all functions of a religious nature, Mr CHAPMAN bore and important part, and we have often heard his name affectionately mentioned by some of our oldest and most respected friends. As Principal of the Heald Town Institution his influence now bears fruit in the earnest faithful lives of many a native minister and teacher who were students under his charge. At Lesseyton too, the candidates for the ministry, the pupils in the Training Institution and the people in that circuit benefitted largely by his painstaking exposition of the Scriptures, by his care and attention, and by his firm but kindly rule. Latterly his sufferings have caused retirement from all active duties, and in Queenstown he made a home for the last three years of his life, where carefully tended by his devoted wife, valued and loved companion of nearly half a century, e has lived in comparative seclusion. He had reached the ripe age of 75 years, all of which were truly spent in the service of his Lord and Master.

Friday, July 14, 1893

BIRTH.- At Prairie Lodge, Queenstown, on 11th July, 1893, the wife of Mr. W.B. SCOTT, of a son.

Died – At Queenstown, on Sunday the 9th July, 1893, after a pro-longed illness, the Rev. George CHAPMAN, aged seventy-five; for fifty-one years a Wesleyan Minitser.

We ("Kokstad Advertiser") regret very much to have to report that Mr. John CLARKE, jun., a highly respected farmer in the district, met his death on Thursday last by being kicked on the head by his horse Mr. CLARKE left Kokstad for his farm, about 14 miles from the town, on Thursday afternoon, and he was within three miles of home when the sad affair took place. It is conjectured that he must have come off his horse, and the animal becoming restive, kicked him, or that the horse stumbled and the rider being thrown to the ground was kicked on the head. Death must have been instantateous. The body was found by the roadside on Friday morning, when the news was brought to town. The community here was greatly shocked at the sad occurrence, the deceased being one of the oldest residents in the district, and was widely known. Captain HOOK, Resident Magistrate, and Dr. GIBB, District Surgeon, went out to the place, and their examination clearly
showed that the deceased met his death by his horse kicking him. Mr. CLARKE, in his early days, was a great hunter, and had many stories to tell of the hunting field.

Friday, July 21, 1893

MARRIED- By Special Licence at King Williamstown, on the 17th July, Stephen Herbert OSLER, of Riversdale, to Annie Florence CURTIS, of Lady Frere.

Tuesday, July 25, 1893

BIRTH.- On Saturday, July 22nd, at Queenstown, the wife of Mr. Richard Henry FLYNN, of a son.

DIED.- At his residence, Aloe Grove, Bongolo, on the 21st instant, Elliah WIGGILL, aged 72 years and 11 days.

About noon on Friday last the sad intelligence of the death of Bertie KELLY, son of Mr. J.J. KELLY, of Lady Frere was received per telegram at the Grammar School, of which he was a pupil. Immediately on the reception of the news the Rev. C.K. HODGES started for Lady Frere, arriving at half-past seven the same evening. It appears that death was due to an accident he met with when not quite three years old. On that occasion he was playing with his brother and some other children on the banks of the river near Buffel Doorns when he fell down some twenty feet into into the water, falling upon his head, and, as it now appears, bursting a blood-vessel in his head. His father, upon arriving at the place, jumped in and rescued his son, himself sustaining severe injuries to his foot thereby. Bertie recovered from the immediate effects of the injury, and, until his death last Friday, except for occasional head-aches, no traces of it remained. During the recent holidays he had been exceptionally well and engaged in all the usual sports and pleasures peculiar to school-boyhood, along with his twin-brother Jack. Arrangement were being made for their return to school on Friday, but on Thursday Bertie complained of feeling unwell. The family doctor was called in, and, not knowing of the aforementioned accident, thought it was a severe bilious attack and prescribed accordingly. The yount, patient, however, became rapidly worse, and, after a short delirium passed peacefully away between 9 and 10 on Friday morning. At the post-mortem examination held on Saturday morning the surgeon, Dr. COLLIE of Lady Frere, discovered that, as he had suspected during the course of the brief illness, the blood-vessel which had but partially healed had broken again and the hemorrhage upon the bran had caused the sudden death.
The death of Bertie KELLY has been a great shock to the population of Lady Frere and to many to whom he was known in Queenstown, especially to his teacher and fellow-students at the Grammar School.
The funeral took place at Lady Frere last Saturday afternoon, ...

It is our melancholy duty to record the death of Mr Elijah WIGGILL, which sad event took place at Bongolo on Friday last, the 21st inst. Mr WIGGILL was one of the original grantees of this district, taking possession of his farm in the Bongolo immediately it was allotted, and working it up to the day of his death. He was a fine specimen of the Colonial farmer and his farm was well worth a visit, where all were hospitably entertained. He passed quietly away on Friday at the ripe old age of 72. The funeral took place in Queenstown on Saturday and well attended. We tender our sympathy to the bereaved ones in their sad loss.

Friday, July 28, 1893

BIRTH- At Sprigg's Post, on the 25th, the wife of W. McKENZIE, of a son.

DIED- At Lady Frere, on the 21st July, 1893, Bertie, in his fourteenth year, son of John James KELLY and his departed wife. Those who knew Bertie can judge of the loss.
The father and family desire to express their heartfelt thanks for the sympathy shown by so many, in this their sad bereavement.

Tuesday, August 1, 1893

A mysterious case of supposed poisoning cropped up at Port Elizabeth on Thursday. A European girl named KING, between sixteen and seventeen years of age, complained to her parents on Tuesday evening of pains in her stomach. Chlorodine was administered, but the girl got worse. Then Dr HOFFMAN was called in, and found the patient in a state of collapse, and exhibiting symptoms of poisoning. Every effort failed to save the girl, and she died the following evening. At the inquest, Dr HOMAN deposed that in some liquid which came from deceased's stomach, he had found traces of arsenic. Further investigations are being made. The whole case is clothed in mystery. The girl was very popular in her circle, and her parents are highly respectable. The funeral was attended by a number of school girls, in white, with veils and wreaths.

Friday, August 4, 1893

DIED – HONEY. – At Maclear, on Sunday, July 23rd, quite peacefully, Marion, the much beloved wife of Jesse S. HONEY, Esq., and daughter of the late Rev. John WILSON, aged 41 years.

Tuesday, August 8, 1893

MARRIED.- SCOTT.-McCAY.- At King Williamstown on the 2nd August, 1893, by the Revd. Don. GEORGE, eldest son of L. SCOTT, Esq., Queenstown, to Mary Jane, second daughter of the late R. McCAY, King Williamstown.

DIED,- At Lady Frere on the 3rd inst., Grace, infant daughter of J.W. and M. GARRETT, age 21 days.

On Thursday afternoon last Mr. E. BELL, one of Queenstown's oldest and most respected residents, died, at his residence in the Hexagon. It had been known in town for some time that Mr BELL was in a very precarious state of health indeed. Some months ago he had two ugly falls, one of his horse, and his system received a severe shock; though he rallied for a time he was never his old self again and was indisposed, off and on, ever since. For some weeks previous to his end he was confined to his room and bed, but keeping in good spirits his friends had great hopes of his recovery; but about a week ago he took a turn for the worse, became unconscious and was overtaken by a death-like sleep from which he with the exception of one or two brief intervals never woke again, his heart gradually ceasing to beat on Thursday afternoon last. Immediately the sad intelligence of his demise became known in town the principle business places put up their
shutters, flags were soon flying half-mast at the Public offices, the Hospital, etc., and generally the town presented an appearance of mourning.
The late Mr. BELL was born in England in 1829. He came to this Colony with his parents in 1842 and lived for some time in Grahamstown and then in Fort Beaufort. From there he went to the Baviaan's River where on the farm of Mr. G. McKAY he learned farming During the native wars that took place in the fourties he served in the Imperial Commissarist Department. Later he was again farming at Kat River when the '50 war broke out. The whole white population, Mr. BELL among them had to leave their property and make for Fort Armstrong, where the natives under the famous Chief HERMANUS besieged them. There were only 28 Europeans in the place and a number of so-called loyal natives. As there was every reason to suspect treachery on the part of the latter, all the Europeans on the advice of Mr. READ, a Missionary, made their escape to Whittlesea. Mr. READ obtained a trusty native guide, who one dark and rainy night led the whole party, by unknown
paths, over the Katberg and brought them safely to Whittlesea. The latter place was almost immediately besieged by the Shiloh Hottentots, and attacked time out of number, the garrison, however, strengthened by the unexpected arrival of the refugees from Fort Armstrong was able to repulse these attacks, yes, even to attack Shiloh itself and harass the Hottentots in their own stronghold. Needless to say Mr. BELL played a prominent part in all these engagements. After the war was over and peace was established Mr. BELL came to what is now known as Queenstown, out of which there was at that time no trace. He lived here with others of the Fort Armstrong party for some time under canvass until the town was laid out in 1853 by the Surveyors Messrs. M. ROBINSON-ROBINSON and M. WOODIFIELD. He was then one of the first, if not the first to become an original grantee and was granted an erf in town and a farm on military tenure. Mr. BELL brought his family here and ever since that time he has been a citizen of Queenstown. He passed as a Notary of the Supreme Court and has practiced here since then. From the year 1853 his history is that of Queenstown, with all its fortunes and interests his own were intimately connected and always was he known as a loyal and devoted citizen. No other man has served Queenstown as he has, now for over 40 years. Always prominent, always a leading man among her citizens he was connected with almost every public body, and every public function that took place in town Many a year has he served in the Town and Divisional Councils. He it was, that was selected to fulfil the office of Chairman of the Reception Committee on the occasion of the visit of His Excellency the Governor to Queenstown and frequently on other important and auspicious occasions, he it was, to whom the confidence of the people of the town assigned the place of honour. Always ready to lend his aid in the cause of charity the Frontier Hospital losses in him a hard-working patron. Queenstown mourns the death of one of its oldest ablest and most straightforward citizens.
The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon...
Mr BELL leaves a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn their loss. His aged mother is still alive and she has now seen six of her nine children buried.

Friday, August 11, 1893

BIRTH,- At Beileyton on August 6th, the wife of J.G. HICKEY, of a Daughter.

MARRIED.- SCOTT.-McCAY.- At King Williamstown on the 2nd August, 1893, by the Revd. DON, George, eldest son of L. SCOTT, Esq., Queenstown, to Mary Jane McCAY, King Williamstown.

DIED,- On the 8th August, at Baileyton, R.A. EBSWORTH, aged 28.

DIED,- At Lady Frere on the 3rd inst., Grace, infant daughter of J,W. and M. GARRETT, age 21 days.

Friday, August 18, 1893

DIED- On the 16th July, 1893, at Clutha, Xalanga, William MOFFETT; deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and children.

DIED,- At Queenstown, August 16th, 1893, Stanley Stewart, the beloved son of Blanche and Stewart FELGATE, aged 2 years and 5 months.

Tuesday, August 22, 1893

MARRIED,- By Special Licence in the R.M. Office, St. Marks, on the 9th day of August, 1893, Reuben Ulyate LLOYD, of Ngabanga, to Joahnnes SCHWABE, of Nbuncuzo.

BIRTH,- At Queenstown, on Aug. 20th, the wife of A.R. MAYTHAM of a Daughter.

Friday, August 25, 1893

DIED,- At Whittlesea, on the 18th instant, Marion Margaret (Maggie) aged 1 year and 6 months, daughter of Marion and John K. MURRAY, M.B.M.Ch.

Friday, September 1, 1893

DIED,- At Hopefield, District Queenstown, on 26th August, 1893, Mary Jane, the beloved wife of P. BOUCHER, age 31 years, 2 months and 21 days.

Tuesday, September 5, 1893

The four-year-old daughter of a policeman called MYNHARDT, was drowned at the Rand brickfields by tumbling into a well. The trap-door was left open, and the little one was not missed for twenty minutes after she had fallen in.

Friday, September 15, 1893

MARRIED,- By Special Licence, at Queenstown on Monday, September 11th, 1893, by the Rev. R. LAMPLOUGH, August Edward, third son of Mr. SCHROEDER, of King Williamstown, to Amy Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mrs. VOLBRECHT, Queenstown.

MARRIED,- By Special License on 14th Sep., 1893, at Queenstown, by the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE, James HILLHOUSE, eldest son of John HILLHOUSE, Esq., of Indwe, to Maggie MITCHELL, youngest daughter of John MITCHELL, Esq., of Ayeshire, Scotland.

Friday, September 22, 1893

MARRIAGE,- Sept. 16th at St Michael's, Queenstown, by Rev. Archdeacon GRANT, Robt. G.S. D'AUBREY, youngest son of L. D'AUBREY, Esq., Devonshire, to Matilda S. CHARTERS, eldest daughter of Capt. CHARTERS, King Williamstown.

Tuesday, September 26, 1893

DIED,- At Capetown, on the 13th Sept., 1893, Jane Chapman PARKER, daughter of the late J.H. PARKER, of Queenstown.

DIED,- At Queenstown on the 22nd September, 1893, at the residence of Mr. A. PETER, Murdo Robertson MACIVER, aged 40 years, 3 months and 9 days. – Deeply regretted.

It our mournful duty to record the death of Mr Murdo MACIVOR, one of the most energetic and enterprising farmers of our district, which sad event took place at the residence of Mr A. PETER, of Queen's Town. The lamented deceased was in good health up to about two months ago, when he was attacked with malarial feven and had to take to his bed, and for six weeks he suffered intensely. Dr. BERRY was in attendance and did all that medical skill could do, without avail. He advised removal to Queenstown, to be nearer, which was done on Monday. Mr. MACIVOR was conveyed from his residence in his bed, being carried by loving friends to the station at Baileyton, and on arrival in Queenstown from the station to the residence of Mr PTER, a particular friend of the deceased. Drs BERRY and WEAKLEY consulted together, and everything was done that could be by loving relatives and friends, but without success. Mr MACIVOR came to the Colony first about 20
years ago, but to a run home to the old country on a visit to his father and mother, who are resident in Scotland, and each over 80 years of age. Their son's death will be a terrible blow to them in their old age. For some time the deceased resided at Gwatua, but afterwards purchased the farm Schoolfontein, near Baileyton, which he greatly improved, making it one of the most valuable properties in the district. He was full of live and energy. He married a daughter of Mr. Julius KLETTE, who with her four children is left disconsolate in their sad bereavement. Mr. MACIVOR has one brother in South Africa, also resident here who was present with sympathetic feeling during the last illness of his dear brother.
The funeral took place on Saturday, ...

Friday, September 29, 1893

A shocking event occurred on Mr AGGETT's farm at the Chumie last Thursday. It appears that one of the cottages on the estate is occupied by a young married couple named MEINTJIES. About mid-day Mrs MEINTJIES left her only child – an infant two months old – alone in the house, while she went down to the river to wash a few clothes, no danger being apprehended as her husband was working in the garden only a short distance away. She quickly returned, and as she drew near to the house she heard the baby screaming. Rushing in a horrible sight was witnessed. She saw a pup literally tearing the flesh of her child's face. The dog had actually devoured the cheeks, lips and even a part of the tongue, while one eye was protruding from its socket. The child lingered for an hour in awful agony until convulsions setting in and death removed the little sufferer from its pain.

Print Email

1880 to 1899