Queenstown Free Press

Queenstown Free Press 1888 2 April - June

Tuesday April 3, 1888

CARNARVON FARM SETTLEMENT.- We believe the 25 families from Lord Tennyson's Estate will leave England about the middle of June accompanied by Mr. Arnold WHITE. In the mean time 25 burnt brick cottages are being built, 20 miles of fencing erected, and various water works constructed, in fact everything necessary to to give the strangers a good start and humanly speaking to ensure success, which we heartily wish them.

The Re-Echo says:- Two years ago, most of our readers will remember, Mr. Abraham STRYDOM, of Tzitzikamma, died from a bite of a snaka in the foot whilst walking through his land. A year ago his son Wessel, aged about 14, was also bitten in the foot by a snake but recovered. A few days ago the same lad, who was the sole support of his widowed mother, was again bitten in the foot by a "dikkop adder," and we regret to say died a few hours afterwards. Why will not farmers keep a bottle of SHAW's antidote in the house? No one living in the country is secure from snake-bite, and in many cases people have died through sheer neglect in uot having the means in the house of counteracting the effects of the poison.

Friday April 6, 1888

BIRTH, at Queenstown on the 2nd April, the wife of Geo. HEX of a daughter.

The settlement of Carnarvon Farm arranged by Mr. Arnold WHITE will, it seems by the news to hand, consist of twenty-five Hampshire families selected from those residing upon Lord TENNYSON's estate. The district will thus have a link with the great poet. It is not so stated, but it is possible under the circumstances to suppose that the poet laureate has provided the means by which these families sever their ties with the old land to try their future in the new. No one could be more cognizant of the distress to which the agricultural people of England are subject, or feel more deeply for them than one with the sensitive nature of Lord TENNYSON. Although allied by the ties of landlord and tenant, labourer and master, there has been we may well determine, very little of the poetry of nature in the lives of those who are now upon the waters hastening towards the fates of this land. Hope, no doubt, is strong within them, hope which with strong and lasting energy may serve them to win bread and something more from the fertile soil of Carnarvon. Messrs HALSE Bros. Are busily engaged in erecting suitable cottages on their estate after plans approved by Mr Arnold WHITE and no doubt the settlers will receive a goodly welcome. These twenty-five families will form an advantageous addition to the neighbourhood of Carnarvon Farm, for their wants in matters of clothing, groceries, etc., may induce an enterprising trader to open a store near by; it is possible that the owners of the farm will see that the immigrants' requirements are well met in this respect. Settlements like this dotted about the district would prove of decided benefit, for although they come as producers each in his turn is a consumer, and the great draw-back of the Colony is its
sparsely populated areas.

The Zuid Afrikaan says:- "We have received with sorrow the information of the decease of Mr. H. CLOETE, formerly of Groot Constantia; he had reached an age of 71 years, but looked very healthy and strong. Mr. CLOETE has long been active in colonial viticulture, and industry which he thoroughly understood."
A shocking fatality occurred at the Graving Dock, where the German man-of-war Habicht is now berthed. A coloured man, named John HUMPHREYS, in the employ of Messrs CARLSEN, BURMEISTER & Co., was engaged on the Dock sides, assisting in removing scaffolding which bolstered the vessel, and, while standing on the plank, in the act of casting a rope to a man below, when he overbalanced himself and fell head foremost. He first came in contact with the middle altar of the Dock side, and thence rebounding, fell to the bottom. The poor fellow was picked up with his skull fearfully fractured, and suffering from other injuries. He was placed in an unconscious state in a cab for conveyance to the New Somerset Hospital, near by, but died before arrival there.
A most deliberate murder was committed at the Ncise in this district on the 18th March; the murderers being two Pondos and their victim a young Tembu. From enquiries made it seems that on the previous Saturday night twelve sheep were stolen from a kraal, and on Sunday morning the spoor was taken up by three men who after going a little way found a sheep lying in the track with its throat cut, and soon afterwards came across another in a similar plight. Crossing the Umtata and entering a small forest – a spur of the Kambi – they found a place where another sheep had been slaughtered, and in a short time they came upon two men driving nine sheep and carrying some meat. Seeing they were discovered the thieves bolted but were soon captured and taken back to Tembuland. The captors took their prisoners to the kraal of the headman Maxongo, but found that he and his men were at a beer drink, so two of them sent to look him up leaving the Pondos, securely fastened, as they thought, with reims, in charge of the third man – a young Tembu named Nocuza. Soon after the two men had gone the Pondos told Nocuza they desired to answer a call of nature, and desired to be led away from the kraal, but some women who overheard the request warned him not to accede to it. However he did so, and the three men retired a short distance. As
they did not return the women became alarmed and on going to the spot where the men had walked to they found the dead body of NOCUZA. The Pondos had managed to loosen the reims with which hey were bound, and had put one round his neck; securing the end to his left ankle and drawing the leg very tightly in order to produce strangulation. On his stomach too was found a mark as if a knee had been pressed on it to keep him quiet while the reim was being made fast and on his face and throat nail marks were found. The Pondos escaped but their names and their kraals are known, and NQWILISO has been asked to arrest and hand them over to the authorities. – Umtata Herald.
The Humansdorp Re-Echo of the 22nd inst. Says:-
"On Sunday evening last a terrific thunderstorm burst over Humansdorp, accompanied by torrents of rain and hail, and doing considerable damage in its course. Besides minor accidents, such as trees being struck and live stock killed, tow serious casualties, one, we regret to say, with fatal results. At the farm Uitvlugt, about three hours from the village, the owner, Mr. Johannes KEMP, retired with his wife about 8 o'clock, and as the couple were lying in bed chatting the lightning struck the corner of the gable, splitting the stone wall diagonally and entering the bedroom. Old Mr. KEMP was thrown from his bed and partially stunned, but on recovering himself he found his wife still in bed, but quite dead, and her body covered with a thin coating of dust and mortar from the damaged gable. Strange to say, the body was not burnt, but the face was blue – almost black – and in the course of a short time changed to its original colour, and there was nothing to show that the poor old lady had not died a natural death. Both Mr. KEMP's legs were scorched, but, beyond the shock, he was not seriously injured. The electric fluid passed through the wall from the bedroom into a spare room, but how it made its exit from the house we have not been able to ascertain. Mrs. KEMP was a sister to Mr. Hermanus POTGIETER, and the family, who were highly respected, have found much sympathy in the district.

Tuesday April 10, 1888

The Mail says:- Just as we are about to put to press the melancholy intelligences has been conveyed to us from the Albany Hospital of the death there, this morning, of Miss GLANVILLE, late Curator of the Albany Museum. Very deeply, we know, will her loss be felt by those whose privilege it was to reckoned amongst her friends, while even the most casual acquaintance formed in her professional capacity will experience a pang of regret when they hear that the talented and amiable young scientist is no more.
The Bechuanaland News contains particulars of the death of Mr H J WESSELS, of Raingvlakte near Vryburg, one of the oldest Stellaland settlers, and known as an honest, hard-working, practical farmer. Mr WESSELS was thrown from his horse, and sustained internal injuries from which he expired an hour after the accident. Mrs WESSELS is now a widow for the third time, and each of her husbands has been accidentally killed.

Friday April 13, 1888

On Wednesday morning last there was a large gathering at the farm Royden (Mr. G. FINCHAM's) on the occasion of the marriage of that gentleman's daughter to Mr. E.H. CROUCH (Messrs. CROUCH Bros. Of East London). The service was conducted by the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE, under the shade of the magnificent trees close to the residence...

Heddrina KRUGER a Dutch girl, was found guilty of murdering her newly-born child. It was considered she was not quite in her right mind, but medical evidence was lead to prove that she was in full possession of her mental faculties though they were quite undeveloped. A petition is being signed for a reprieve.

Tuesday April 17, 1888

DIED.- At Cala, on Wednesday April 11th, 1888, Montagu Margesson WILSON, the infant son of W.H. and Emily A. WILSON of Askeaton, N'Dnana, aged 3 months and 22 days.

The late Mr VICE senr. For many years a resident of Middledrift, was buried at Alice on the 27th inst. The deceased had a protracted illness.
The Kimberley papers announce the death under somewhat mysterious circumstances of Miss Susan GUNN, aged 24, and daughter of Mr J. GUNN, of Port Elizabeth. Deceased was employed at Messrs. HAZELL & BALLAND's shop, and resided next door to the Circus in Dutoitspan Road. She complained of being unwell, and had ben attended by Drs HILLIER and JAMESON. On Tuesday morning last she died, and as bottles labelled "Poison" were found in her room an inquest is to be held.
The Mercury reports:- Yesterday, the marriage took place of Mr BUCKLAND, Accountant of the Standard Bank, and Miss Maggie O'BRIEN, daughter of Mrs. Alexander DUNCAN. The ceremony was conducted by the Reverend J. FAGAN, P.P., in the Roman Catholic Church, ...

Friday April 20, 1888

MARRIED.- On April 11th, at Roydon, Queenstown District, by Rev. J.P. RIT CHIE, Edward Heath, eldest son of E. CROUCH, Esq., J.P. Queenstown, to Carrie, youngest daughter of Geo. FINCHAM, Esq., senr., Queenstown District.

Tuesday April 24, 1888

(*Gold Fields Times)
The same says:- A sad death occurred from drowning in Louw's Creek, when a young man named Wm. THOMPSON lost his life while bathing. He and Mr LEPENGWELL, both in the employ of the Lily Company, went to bathe in the creek, and LEPENGWELL (who is suffering from the effects of a tramcar accident) was horrified to see his mate disappear. He immediately plunged in to his recue, but was too crippled to render any assistance. He then went as quickly as he could to the Battery, and Mr HATCH ran to the place, but was too late to save the poor fellow's life, as, on thaking the body from the water he was found to be quite dead.

Friday April 27, 1888

STEAD.-CHABAUD.- Married at Queenstown by Rev. A. GRANT, on April 25th, Rev. W.Y. STEAD, of Butterworth, to Minnie Blanche, eldest daughter of Louis A. CHABAUD, Esq.

DIED,- Suddenly on 9th inst, at Xilinxa, Transkei, Ellen LUCAS, the beloved wife of Joseph LUCAS, aged 47 years, three months and 14 days. Friends at a distance please accept this notice.
DIED,- At Mapassa's Poort, April 18th, 1888, George WEAVER, beloved son of J.C. and A.J. PURDON, aged 9 months and 13 days.

Intelligence which has just came in from the King's Kraal shows that BOVAN, the late general of the Swazie army, died on the morning of the 15th February, and was buried at Bamba's kraal on the Usutu River, opposite the Umdimba. A witch-doctor and his daughter were ordered to be killed as offerings to the soul of the departed warrior, the pretext for judgment being that the two had poisoned BOVAN, and that two years ago they had hastened Maloi, one of the King's brothers, out of the world the same way. BOVAN died of course, of general breaking up and drink...

Tuesday May 1, 1888

MARRIED,- At Katberg, on April 18th, by the Rev. A. HANESWORTH, of Fort Beaufort, Alfred LAWRENCE, M.R.C.S.E., L.R.C.P.L.M., of Whittlesea, son of Dr LAWRENCE, of Tasmania, to Alice Elizabeth, eldest daughter of J.J. THERON, Esq., of Katberg.

A correspondent, upon whose word the Herald can implicitly rely, contributes to that paper the following particulars of a very sad case indeed:- A family of the name of FORSTEN, living close to Molteno, have been most unfortunate, having lost five children within ten days from diphtheria
under most distressing circumstances. Each child as it felt the death struggle, jumped up and ran to a parent, so that all have breathed their last either in their father or mother's arms. The children are from seven to fifteen years of age. The father just walks about up and down continually, and the mother sits perfectly quiet, not able to shed a tear, her grief is so great.
A Hottentot named Jurie ANDERSON, says the Uitenhage Times, has shot his sister at Springfield. It appears that the man had been drinking, when a quarrel ensued, and the Hottentot, who was intoxicated, ran to his hut for his gun; his mother interfered, and he threatened to shoot her, and the woman got out of the way. His sister now came forward and tried to take the gun from him, and in the struggle she was shot in the abdomen and killed. The man at once gave himself up.
We (Alice Times) were sorry to hear that Govan KABOKA, headman of the native village near Lovedale, died yesterday, April 19th. The deceased had been in poor health for some years, and has become another victim to the disease known as "consumption." The late Govan KABOKA was a native well-known in these parts. He was unassuming, straightforward, and very much respected by Europeans and natives. In Govan KABOKA we always recognised a good man, and one who did much good amongst his countrymen. For some years past he has acted as dispenser of medicines in the Lovedale Dispensarp.
The Alice Times records the death of an old and respected inhabitant of the district, Mr Gerhardus Wilhelmus ELS, aged 88 years and five months. He was born on 1st November, 1799. He was the father of seventeen (17) children, and numbered 119 (one hundred and nineteen) grandchildren, 192 (one hundred and ninety two) great grandchildren, and 10 (ten) great, great grandchildren. In all 338 (three hundred and thirty eight) souls. Out of the number above stated, fifty-one have departed this life, leaving two hundred and eighty-seven still in the land of the living.

Friday May 4, 1888

The papers regret to record the decease of Mrs. H.B. CHRISTIAN, from paralysis of the brain, on Tuesday morning last. The deceased lady, who was a daughter of the late Mr. J.O. SMITH was much respected. The funeral took place in the Presbyterian Burial on Wednesday, and was well attended.
The local papers announce the death of Dr. KNOWLES, an old resident of the city.

Friday May 11, 1888

BIRTH.- On May 2, at Seplan, the wife of E.R. BURGERSHEIM, Esq., of a Son.

DEATH of Mr. W. MORRIS, Cape Town.- An inquest was held on Saturday last to enquire into the death of this gentleman who was found dead in bed on the preceding evening, with a bulled hole below his right eye, the wound being the cause of death. At the close of the case the magistrate gave an open verdict that there was no evidence to show whether the wound was self-inflicted or accidental.

Tuesday May 15, 1888

Joseph CULLIS, European, was convicted of murdering his wife at Rondebosch near Capetown, on 14th ult., and sentenced to death.

Friday May 18, 1888

BIRTH,- At Queenstown, on May 16th, the wife of Mr. E. ROY of a Son.

The Express gives the details of a very shocking murder which was disclosed in the R.M. Court, Beaconsfield. The case lasted all the afternoon, and is further adjourned. A native named MASHUSHU, alias Swartbooi, is charged with having killed Abraham MAPOLO. The parties were working for the Britannia Company on the 29th April, and what actually occurred is disclosed in the evidence of Hezekiah MATLUKA. On the evening of the 29th April, witness and MAPOLA were together in the Company's engine-house, about dusk. The prisoner came up, shouting and making a great noise, and Abraham MAPOLO (now deceased) said he would ask him who had been striking him. After doing so, and some word passing between them, MAPOLO wanted accused to fight and he refused. Subsequently accused took up a hammer and struck MAPOLO on the back of hte neck. He staggered from the blow, and as he staggered, the accused again struck him with the hammer on the left side of the head. MAPOLO then fell upon the ground, whereupon the prisoner said, "I will strike him dead at once." He (witness) said "No," he had given him enough already, and picked MAPOLO up and took him to the water tap to bathe him. Prisoner came up and said if he washed MAPOLA he would kill him altogether. Witness then took him and laid him outside the engine-house and there bathed him. The prisoner sat at Mapolo's head and said if the prisoner died he would at once leave this part of the country with his wife. On the following morning MAPOLO was unable to speak, and the occurrence was reported to the Manager of the Britannia Company, who had the injured man conveyed to the Hospital in a cab, where he subsequently expired.
The trial of April, a diminutive Vaalpenne, the cousin of a man named Jonas, who was murdered about a year ago, took place at Vryburg on April 25 and 26. It appeared from the evidence that a white man named SWANEPOEL had a goat stolen from his kraal on the 28th of August, 1886; that he took his gun and followed the spoor in search of the thieves; that at some distance from the farm he found some natives amongst whom was the prisoner; that he ordered the natives to come with him; that he was then knocked down and rendered insensible by the prisoner, assisted by another, Jonas who had already suffered the extreme penalty of the law for the crime); and that the next day he (SWANEPOEL) was found fearfully mutilated by wounds from which he soon afterwards died. The wife of the murdered man described the fearfully mutilated condition in which her husband returned to his home after following the spoor of the thieves. Over his right eye there was a deep wound, to all appearance into the bone; also a deep cut down the foreheard and along the nose as far as there was bone; the whole nose was cut open so that the breath escaped through the opening. There was a deep wound from below the left ear to below the left eye. His jawbone was broken in three places, the upper lip being cut open. The cheek bones were both smashed, all his teeth knocked out, and the tongue swollen. There were three cuts on his throat apparently made with a blunt knife. On the back of his neck there was a wound, to all appearance as though inflicted with a hatchet; below there was a large bruise, and above, in the back of the skull, a wound from which matter was continually running. She bathed the wound with lukewarm water, and afterwards applied a plaster of linseed oil, sweet oil, caster oil, balsam of sulphur, oil, beeswax, and a patent medicine all melted together. He complained most of the pain caused by the wounds behind the head and on the left temple. The doctor of the police also attended him; he put some dry rags on, a bandage round his head, and a plaster on his right eye. She used her plaster before and after the doctor came. – The next witness (Meitje) stated that when prisoner and Jonas saw SWANEPOEL approaching they ran, but stopped when he shouted to them to do so. He then told Jonas to roll up his blankets as he was going to take him to gaol for stealing his goat. Then he sat down on the water-can some little distance from the fire, and prisoner picked up a stick, a knob-kerrie and went
behind him. Prisoner struck him on the head and knocked him down; then struck him again, calling Jonas to assist him, and saying, "I have killed the white man." Corroborative evidence was led and the prisoner was found guilty, and received sentence of death, still protesting his innocence.
The Watchman records a fatal accident on the line near Kei Road on Wednesday last. A ganger named BROWN, residing at No. 11 Cottage, was proceeding in a trolly along with two natives. Noticing some cattle on the line he attempted to apply the brake, when he slipped and fell off, the wheels of the trolly passing over his head and chest. He was picked up insensible, and it was thought advisable to take him to the Kingwilliamstown Hospital. He died, however, before the train arrived in town.

Friday May 25, 1888

BIRTH,- At Queenstown, on 20th May, 1888, Mrs. C.J. SWEENEY, of a Daughter.
BIRTH.- On May 2, at Seplan, the wife of E.R. BURGERSHEIM, Esq., of a Son.

Tuesday May 29, 1888

DIED,- At Queenstown, on the 18th May 1888 (from Yellow Jaundice), Emma, the dearly-beloved Wife of Alfred MORLEY, of Dordrecht, aged 27 years, leaving a disconsolate husband and two young children, and a large circle of relatives and friends, to mourn their irreparable loss.

Friday June 1, 1888

BIRTH,- On the 31st May, at The Manse, Ebden Street, the wife of the Rev. J.P. RITCHIE of a son.

Tuesday June 5, 1888

It is with sincere regret that we record the death of a very promising young lady, Miss Maria BOUWER, daughter of our respected fellow townsman Mr. William BOUWER, who died on Thursday last on her brother-in-law's (NEL's) farm near Adelaide. She left Queenstown about a fortnight ago with her brother to visit her sister who was ill. It turned out that the sister had the measles. She however recovered, but Miss BOUWER took the measles and died shortly after of inflammation of the lungs. Mr BOUWER was summoned from here by telegram and arrived in time to see his daughter the night before she died. The deceased young lady was an accomplished musician and was ever ready to assist with her good talent any work that was going forward in the town. We tender our sincere condolences to her father in his sad bereavement.

We regret also to have to record the decease on the 2nd inst. Of Mrs. Elizabeth PARKER, relict of the late John H. PARKER, Esq., J.P., of this town. The deceased lady had been a sufferer for several years which had been borne with Christian fortitude and resignation. She arrived in Queenstown about thirty years ago to take part and lot with all the fluctuations of a Frontier town, and amidst it all was never weary of rendering such assistance as was required by the many cases that presented themselves for her ready and benevolent assistance. We beg to tender to the family the deep sympathy of the town in this their time of sorrow.

A subscription is being started in Durban and a Committee formed, to erect a memorial to Miss Jeannie STUART, the brave young lady who recently lost her life in endeavouring to rescue another from drowning.
A shocking murder was committed on Tuesday evening last upon the person of Mr James GRANT, an elderly gentleman, much respected in Grahamstown in which he had been a resident for 30 years. The victim went out for his usual walk about 5 in the afternoon and his wife and daughter who are invalids, feeling anxious about his return, sent out to look for him with the result of finding his body lying at the side of the road, with the face covered with blood, and bearing other signs of violence. The cause of death has been found to result from a blow on the head, although there was a stab on the body penetrating deep into the region of the liver. The contents of the pockets were found scattered about showing that robbery was the object of the murderers, who have not yet been traced.

Friday June 8, 1888

Kimberley is just now mourning the death of one of her oldest and most popular citizens, who has gone to his rest after a chequered career, the latter part of which was so clouded that he did not care to prolong it. Since the death of his wife, which occurred some six months back in Cape Town, Mr GOLDSCHMIDT was a broken man – broken in a different sense from that which ensues upon mere commercial failure, but he was seen in his accustomed haunts until six or seven days ago. A sharp attack of bronchitis compelled him last Wednesday to go into the Carnarvon Hospital where he
peacefully expired in his sleep last evening. The remains were taken down to Capetown by Mr L H GOLDSCHMIDT for interment, at the Dutch Reformed Church cemetery, Mowbray, by side of those of
his late wife. The funeral was a large and imposing one. Mr GOLDSCHMIDT was a resident of Queenstown prior to his removal to the fields, and was much respected by all who knew him. Here he married his first wife (Miss NOURSE) who died from an attack of fever at the fields.
Mr C T PALMER, formerly of Tarkastad, has succumbed to fever at the Rand, He was there representing the Tarka Pioneer Company, and was an active, efficient representative, giving his whole time and attention to their interests. He leaves a wife and family to mourn their loss. Mr PALMER was also an old resident of Queen's Town.
The Rev J A CHALMERS passed quietly away in Grahamstown last week, deeply loved and lamented. He was the pastor of Trinity Church and had been a great sufferer for months, having travelled to Natal and elsewhere in search of health.
Mr Chas JAY, an old inhabitant of Grahamstown, and Mr G. GIBBON of Colesberg, both well known and highly respected have gone quietly to there Future Home.

Tuesday June 12, 1888

BIRTH,- At Queenstown, on the 9th June, the wife of Inspector A. KROPF, Cape Police, of a son.

DIED,- At Carelsrust, on Thursday, 17th instant, Edith Frances HEAD, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. W.B. HEAD, aged 2 years, 2 months and 11 days.
DIED,- At the residence of his Brother-in-law, Chris. BARNES, Cathcart, on the 4th June after a short illness, Albert Edward BARRETT, aged 12 years.
DIED,- At her residence on Saturday, the 2nd June, 1888, Elizabeth, the wife of the late John H. PARKER, of this town, aged 50 years.

Friday June 15, 1888

BIRTH,- On the 9th June, at Indwe Poort, the wife of T.A. TRENNERY of a son.
BIRTH,- At Queenstown, on the 11th June, the wife of Mr. W. BOND of a son.

Says the Colesberg Advertiser: On Wednesday last a Kafir of the Bar?ong tribe, named January NTLEKO, who ? from the Kala district in Tembuland met his death accidentally at Rietfontein Poort. He was driver of a wagon and in jumping on to the disselboom after the manner of South African wagon drivers, his foot caught in a chain and he fell to the ground. The wagon-wheel passed over his chest and crushed him to death. Dr RIORNAN and the Magistrate went out and held a post mortem examination and in the evening the comrades of the dead man gave him decent burial. They buried him in his clothes without a coffin, appropriating none of his apparel. In the Kafir language they sang a hymn and offered prayer over the body. A gentleman who was present seems to have been struck with the style in which they carried out the ceremony. One lady accompanied by her nephew drove up to the accommodation house at Colesberg Bridge. After giving those who were outspanning an admonition to be careful because one horse was rather vicious she walked over the rise towards the river and disappeared. After some time it was remarked that she stayed away rather long and after waiting a bit search was made. Her footsteps were traced down to the water's edge and then away again for a few yards to a spot at which it appeared as though she had knelt down. From here the tracks led straight into the water and no further trace could be discovered. The poor lady's hat was found near where she had knelt down, probably to ask that she might be forgiven for what she was about to do. Deceased was Mrs. Frans JOUBERT of Johannesburg. She was a daughter of Mrs. BIGNANT of Middelburg. May of the inhabitants of this district have been acquainted with her in the past and some have experienced her kind hospitality in Johannesburg. What unhappy circumstances led her to put an end to her existence we do not know, and up to the time of going to press we have not heard of the recovery of the body.
On Monday last, a young man named LINDENBERG, very respectably connected, residing with his mother and sisters in Loopstreet, Capetown, met with his death by accident. He was experimenting with an old-fashioned horse-pistol, with which, it is said, he was going out that day. He had just
loaded the pistol upstairs, and had called his sisters to see him shoot in the yard, when a shot was heard, and the terrified girls found that the pistol had gone off, and shot away a portion of their brother's head. He was lying quite lifeless when they reached him.

Tuesday June 19, 1888

FELL ASLEEP,- At Queenstown, 15th June, 1888, Alma James Hampton, dearly loved son of James William and Mary GARRETT, aged three years and 10 months.

Much sympathy is felt for Mr and Mrs. GARRETT in the loss of their little son. He was well and hearty
only a few days back. The measles came, followed by a low fever, and the little one was taken home. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, when in addition to relatives and friends, the children of the Wesleyan Sunday School followed to the cemetery.

On Saturday morning the dead body of a prospector named James RONTLEDGE was found in a tent near Half-way House on the Sheba road. By the side of the man lay and empty bottle which had contained laudanum, with which it is supposed he had poisoned himself. A post mortem examination was held, and the body was interred on Sunday. On the 23rd May last, a miner named JüRGENS formerly of Pinetown, met with an accident in a shaft at Moodie's. He had lit a fuse, and found that the Kafirs had drawn up the rope. He shouted to the boys to lower the rope, but after he had been a few feet off the ground the discharge went off, injuring him fearfully about the legs and lower parts of his body. Friends attended him, and carried him the following day to the Hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds yesterday morning at 7 o'clock.
Yesterday at Pretoria a sad accident happened. A little boy of Mr S P GROVé, member of the Volksraad, got upon a oxwagon while it was in full course. Just as he had got up, the wagon made a turn with the result that the poor little fellow tumbled off and landed on his temple. He stood up but sand at the same instant again lifeless to the ground. Indescribe was the grief of the parents, who had lost a dear and well-beloved little son by such a fatal disaster. We are informed that the mother of the unfortunate lad is greatly shocked at the sudden loss and feeling far from well. We hope she may soon recover again sufficient strength to bear this heavy loss. The members of the Volksraad were invited to attend the funeral which took place this afternoon at four o'clock. The Raad adjourned for the purpose at 3.30 – Volksstem.

Friday June 22, 1888

BIRTH,- At Queenstown on the 19th June, Mrs. Alma GREEN of a daughter.

We regret to announce the death of the Rev. J.G.S. DE VILLIERS, for many years resident minister of the Dutch Reformed Church of Tarkastad. This sad event took place on Wednesday. The funeral will be to-day. Mr DE VILLIERS had retired from active work for some time, and was living with his family at Tarkastad. We have not ascertained the cause of his demise, but it must have been very sudden, as we had not heard of his illness, We tender our sympathy to the family in their bereavement.

Tuesday June 26, 1888

DIED,- At Queenstown, on the 22nd June, 1888, Amelia Ann, beloved wife of Mr John BUSHELL, aged 57 years and 8 months, deeply regretted by her family and large circle of friends.
DIED,- At his residence Bristol, England, on the 24th May, 1888, and interred in the Family Grave Ano's Vale Cemetery, Bristol, on the 28th May, Mr. George BARNES (formerly Town Clerk and Marketmaster of Queenstown), aged 72 years.

Last week the news reached Queenstown of the death of Mr George BARNES, at Bristol, England. The deceased was one of the original grantees of this division, being the owner of Queen's Dale, I ordering on the Macabeni, within a few miles of the town. He was also the first owner of erf No. 51 in the town. Where he established business in the early days – almost if not the first opened. He was here during the cattle killing period, and was the purchaser of thousands of skins brought in by the famishing kaffirs, who were acting under the instructions of the deluded Umlangeni. During this time Mr BARNES made a present to the municipality of a portion of the street, which now leads up from Cathcart Road to Ebden-street past the new club house. Immediately on arrival here, Mr BARNES identified himself with the Wesleyan Church and organised and was the Super-intendent of the first Sunday School in Queenstown. He was a leading Wesleyan and took an active part in promoting the building of the Church in Cathcart Road when it was built. He held various offices, and gave considerable time and money in furtherance of Church Work. He was the first Queenstown Auctioneer, and carried on a smart business in the good old times. Tiring of business, Mr BARNES turned his attention to farming, and was one who regularly supplied the market with the good things which are-and attention enabled him to produce on a farm which lacked a permanent supply of water. This want induced Mr BARNES to return to Queenstown, where he became Town Clerk and Market Master, retaining that position until he took a trip home to the old country. Returning to the Colony he elected to go to Burghersdorp where he resided, also as Town Clerk and Market Master, until he again went back to England. Prior to this his son had become a candidate for the Wesleyan ministry and had gone to England to College, and this induced Mr and Mrs BARNES to follow, and take up their residence in Bristol, where they have resided ever since. The Rev. T.D. BARNES had been on mission work with the army in Egypt, and was not ordained until his return, which took place in May last. The father left Bristol for London to be present at the ceremony of ordination, and unfortunately go thoroughly wet through, neglecting to change his damp clothing, returning to Bristol after the service. A severe cold was the result from which he never rallied, but passed quietly and peacefully away on the 24th May, in the 72nd year of his age, highly honoured and esteemed by all who knew him. Mr BARNES was one of the principal agents of the Star Company, and had control of one of the centres in England. He is still the holder of property in Queenstown, and has a large circle of relatives and friends in this town and district to mourn their loss. To them, and the relatives and friends in England, we tender our sincere sympathy.

The Penny Mail says that a crowded congregation assembled in Trinity Church to assist in the memorial service to the late Rev J.A. CHALMERS, the Rev J.D. DON of King Williamstown, preached an appropriate and beautiful sermon from St John, ..

Friday June 29, 1888

BIRTH,- At Queenstown on the 19th June, Mrs. Alma GREEN of a daughter.

MARRIED,- At Exwell Park, Waku, on 27th June, 1888, by Rev. J.P. RITCHIE, Henry John, eldest son of the Rev. W.B. PHILIP, B.A., of Capetown, to Frances Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late John H. PARKER, Esq., J.P., of this town. No Cards.

On Sunday morning last a man named CARLYSLE was found lying near the railway station insensible, his skull broken and the brain protruding. He was taken to the Midland Hospital, but he succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday evening. On enquiries being prosecuted it was found that on that evening there was a row between two women and a Kaffir, one of whom, Amietjie PEARSON. Among other things stated that she saw the deceased on Sunday evening, who requested to be
directed to the railway station. Shortly after he passed a Kaffir named Jacob MAART came up and asked her where the man was going to, and she told him. He then said, "Wait, I will show him," and ran after the man and overtook him. They then went on together towards the station. On Tuesday the Kaffir was arrested, the wrist of his jacket, vest, and leg of his trousers are covered with blood.

Print Email

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:378
So far this week:So far this week:343
currently online: 20