Skip to main content


Queenstown Free Press

Queenstown Free Press 1864 3 July - September

Tuesday, July 5, 1864

BIRTH, on Monday the 4th July, at Queen’s Town, Mrs FLASHMAN, of a daughter.

DIED, at Morrel Fountain, District of Queenostwn, on Thursday, the 30th June 1864, Ruth GRADWELL, aged 4 years, 4 months and 12 days, the beloved daughter of Mr and Mrs James THOMAS. Friends at a distance will please accept this notice.

Tuesday July 12, 1864

DIED, at Queenstown, on the 1st July 1864. – Mr William Nevel WINDELL, aged 49 years.

A FATAL ACCIDENT. A Fatal Accident took place near Rivier Zonder End last Thursday week. Mr. A.J. MATHE, of Verdwaalskloof, was returning from Caledon, and while travelling in the dark, lost his way, and was precipitated from a “krantz,” or ridge of rocks with the cart upon him, so that in all probability he was killed on the spot. About one o’clock the following day he was found by a little boy who was taking care of sheep, and who immediately reported the unfortunate accident to his family. The deceased was to have been buried last Sunday.

Tuesday August 2, 1864

MARRIED,- On Tuesday, 19th July, 1864, in St.George’s Cathedral Grahamstown, by the Rev. R.G. HUTT, Mr David S. BARRABLE, of Queenstown, to Elizabeth Anne, eldest daughter of Mr S ALLISON, Grahamstown.

MURDER. Discovery of the body of William BLACKBEARD. [F.B. Advocate.] A sensation was created in the town on Thursday evening by the discovery of the body of the unfortunate William BLACKBEARD, who was last seen alive on the evening of the 28th June last, near the Brak River location as he was proceeding after his wagon. The body was found on Thursday afternoon about 4 p.m., by a little boy, who observed the legs sticking out of a hole, and ran and informed one of the Royal Engineers named PAINE, who was in the vicinity and who at once proceeded to the spot. PAINE on approaching the place discovered a scarf with marks of blood upon it, which he at once concluded belonged to BLACKBEARD, knowing that there were suspicions that he had met with foul play and that a reward had been offered for the discovery of thebody. Not far from the spot where he discovered the scarf, he shortly afterwards found the body of the deceased, thrust head foremost into a wolf hole, situated about half a mile from the town, a little off the main road near the river. PAINE immediately hurried to town, and gave information of his discovery, when the Fieldcornet, accompanied by a party of prisoners went to fetch the body. In a little time several persons from town were attracted to the spot, and had got the body out of the hole in which it had been hid. The body was completely stripped of all clothing excepting the shirt, and considering the long time which had elapsed since death, decomposition was not so far advanced as might have been expected. Appearances about the head left no doubt whatever that the deceased had been murdered. There was a frightful gash across the throat, and the skull appeared to have been fractured above the right eye. The shirt was discoloured with blood, and there may have been other wounds beneath, which will be ascertained by the post-mortem examination. There is a probability, now that the body has been found, that the murderers will be detected, as the two women who deposed to having seen the body with only the shirt on, can be found, and will no doubt be able to tell more about the affair than is yet known. DAMON, a notorious native, is also in custodyon suspicion of knowing something of the murder. This fellow pretended that he had seen the body about six miles from the spot where it was found, and so completely, put those in search of it, off the true scent. BLACKBEARD has evidently been murdered, robbed, and stripped on the high road, within rifle shot of the town, and it will be the duty of theauthorities to spare no effect to discover the perpetrators of this foul deed. Until a further investigation has been made it would be idle, to indulge in surmises, it will be sufficient now to state that suspicion rests on natives, who took advantage of the helpless condition in which deceased was on the evening when he started after his wagon. The people of Alice and Fort White have subscribed £55 as a reward for the discoveryand the conviction of the murderers. In another column it is erroneously stated that the reward of £55 was for the discovery of the body. We have just received the account of the post mortem examination made by Dr. BENBOW, District Surgeon, from which the following extract:-“Putrefaction far advanced; cuticle being detached in many parts. Nature of injuries: Erasions of skin on back and sides of body, and anterior surface of toes. Contusions of both elbows exterually, knees, and lower parts of thighs; right fingers and thumb flexed, holding a small quantity of dried grass and dirt. Right cheek bone fractured, with dislocationof jaw. Over the lower and posterior part of left parietal bone mark of severe blow , the bone being fractured to the extent of about 2 inches in circumference. On left side of throat immediately below larynx the skin divided to the extent of 4 inches leading to a punctured wound running in a direction obliquely upwards to the depth of 5 inches, this wound being about 1 inch broad at the orifice and terminating in a point. Just external to this is another wound, also about 1 inch broad, and 4½ inches deep, passing obliquely upwards and outwards, this wound also terminating in a point, Immediate cause of death – hemorrhage caused by the division of large vessels on left side of throat.”We have just heard that three men, natives, are in custody in Alice on suspicion.

Tuesday August 9, 1864

DIED, on the 4th August 1864, at her residence, in the Bongolo, Elizabeth, beloved wife of William JACKSON, aged 43 years, 7 months and 25 days. Her end was peace.

Tuesday August 16, 1864

DIED, at Riversdale, on the 9th inst., Eliza,youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Charles FULLER.

MURDER AND ROBBERY. On Friday night considerable excitement prevailed in the town owing to the report that one of the night policemen had been murdered by a comrade. On inquiry, we learned that the following deposition had been made by the injured man: “My name is Jonathan LEWIS, and I belong to the night police. I am stabbed in the abdomen, and suffering great pain, and I believe I am going to die. James WEYLAND, Patrick KELLY, Michael KELLY, Martin LYNCH, and myself were together this evening, and I was quarrelling with Martin LYNCH. We had words this morning. He said he could drink eight glasses of beer and I said one and a half would make him drunk, and upon this we had words, and he went to get an axe, as he said he would take my life, but Patrick KELLY and I prevented him. I than challenged him to come outside and fight fair. He made a kick at me, I seized his leg and struck him with my left hand in his face, and we had a fight, when he got the worst of it. He then seized the axe. Michael KELLY got hold of him, while PatrickKELLY took the axe away from him. He was in and out of the house the whole day, and Martin LYNCH also, and we had no more words until this evening. He said he would have my life to-night. He said that I ought to have been in prison, and that I or he must leave the house. This night he made a rush at me,and I seized hold of him to put him outside, when all at once I felt I was stabbed in the lower part of my belly and I immediately rushed down to the lock-up, which is close to our quarters. Patrick KELLY, Michael KELLY, and I think James WEYLAND, were present. Patrick KELLY seized hold of Martin LYNCH immediately I was stabbed. It was about twenty five minutes past eight o’clock in the evening when it occurred. We had not been drinking together. I was perfectly sober. LYNCH had been drinking but not in my company. I had £45 in my box, which was locked. There were three five-pound notes of the Standard Bank, and the remainder was in gold. I had seen this money in the box at 11 o’clock in the forenoon. After I was stabbed, and in the lock-up, I sent for the box, and when it was brought I saw it had been burst open. The prisoner, LYNCH, knew I had money in the box. The prisoner, who is a tall powerful looking man, and who had been a comrade of LEWIS’s in one of the regiments of the line, was remanded for further examination until to-day. FURTHER PARTICULARS. On inquiring this morning, at the office of A C WYLDE, Esq.,we heard that the unfortunate man died during the night. It appears that after stabbing his victim, the prisoner made off with his booty, and was captured next morning in a house situated near Hymanskloof. The bulk of the money was recovered. The prisoner, at the time we went to press, was under an examination on a charge of murder. –E.P. Herald.

Tuesday August 23, 1864

DIED, on the 15th August 1864, at Cheviot, District of Queenstown, Jane Eadett, youngest Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.H.WEBSTER, aged 10 months and 3 days.

DIED, at Queen’s Town, on 18th August 1864, Mr.John MASKELL, aged 63 years, mournfully regretted by a large circle of relatives and friends.

MARRIED, at Cradock, on the 18th last by the Rev.Mr. GREEN, William MOIR, of Queen’s Town, to Ann Rhoda Dorothy, eldest surviving daughter of Mr. Joseph THACKWRAY, Cradock – (No cards.)

CHARGE OF BIGAMY. On Monday evening, Thomas ARMSTRONG, master mariner, was apprehended at Cape Town on a charge of bigamy. Yesterday he was brought up for examination at the Police Court, and remanded for further examination. Captain ARMSTRONG is charged with having married a lady at Melbourne, while his own wife was left in Cape Town. The Melbourne lady accompanied him to Port Elizabeth, where he seems to have left her, and some charitable persons in the borough are making arrangements for her return to her family. – (Advt. & Mail.)

Tuesday September 6, 1864

MARRIED- at the residence of the bride’s father, on the 30th of August, 1864, the Rev. E DE BEER, Minister of the Dutch Reformed Church, Dordrecht, eldest son of S.J. DE BEER, Esq, Wellington, to Ann Flowerdew, second daughter of Mr. George FINCHAM, of Roydon, District of Queenstown.

Tuesday September 13, 1864


Mr Advocate WATERMEYER died, at his residence on Wynberghill, on Sunday evening last, at the comparatively youthful age of thirty-seven. He had been seriously ailing for several weeks past, but only three weeks ago he still appeared in his place in the Supreme Court – although, then, however, he was so ill that his friends feared the worst. Of his high character, his remarkable and varied abilities, and the brilliant career which seemed to be opening out before him, it is unnecessary here to speak. His death is felt by all to be a loss not merely to his family and friends but to the whole country. At his own request he was interred at Wynberg; and the funeral yesterdayafternoon was as large, and comprised as many varied representatives of the community as might have been anticipated. The judges, the members of the bar, and the side bar, the council, senate and senior students of the South African College, and representatives of the several other public institutions with which the deceased had been connected were there especially to do honour to his memory and testify of the high esteem in which his character was held. The service at the grave was conducted by the Rev Mr PASIUS, the minister of the Lutheran Church, of which Mr WATERMYER had been a member and churchwarden, - (Lb.)

The Port Elizabeth Telegraph records the death of Mr F.W.OLSON, one of the oldest compositors in the colony. Deceased was a Swede by birth, but spoke excellent English and was, moreover, a very intelligent man. He will be remembered in Capetown as having been involved in some legal proceedings from printing and publishing from Blackwood’s Magazine “Then Thousand a Year.” Mr OLSON had been ill some time and died in the hospital last week.

Tuesday September 27, 1864

BIRTH- At Queenstown, on the 16th instant, Mrs.John WEBSTER of a Son.

DIED, at Bushman’s Hoek, on the 11th Sept. 1864.– Frederick Henry, aged 3 years and 10 months; also at Queen’s Town, on the 22nd September 1864, Jessie Emily, aged 2 years and 2 months, both the beloved children of John and Hannah Maria HARWOOD.

  • Hits: 5814