According to the catalogue of the Cory Library, the first issue of this newspaper was on the 30th December 1831. That library has a complete set to 1919 in microform. Sue Mackay, who transcribed these excerpts seems to have been exceptionally lucky, therefore, to have found printed copies available at the National Archives in Kew, London. She writes: Original copies of the Grahamstown Journal at Kew can be found in CO53/13 (1832-1836), CO53/14 (1837-1840), CO53/15 (1841-1846), CO53/16 (1847-1849) and CO53/17 (1850-1853). In reality CO53/13 contains almost nothing and the sole extract from this file, dated 19 June 1835, is included at the start of CO53/14.
In January 2015 the original copies of The Grahamstown Journal originally held at The British Library in Colindale, now transferred to Boston Spa in Yorkshire, became available to order at the new Newsroom in the British Library at St.Pancras, London, and the ban on digital photography was lifted. Sue Mackay is therefore continuing with her transcriptions. The Shelf Mark for the Grahamstown Journal at the British Library is NEWS15493. No original copies are available from 1857-1862 inclusive. After 1864 the newspaper was officially called The Journal.
The British Library hold some issues from 1832-1836 and transcriptions of these have been added to fill in some of the gaps before the issues at the National Archives start.