A Short Summary of the Procedings at the 45th Annual General Meeting of the Genealogical Society of South Africa at Northwest University on 1st March 2008, by Martin Zollner who attended as a delegate on behalf of the eGGSA branch.
1. Opening & welcome
2. Attendance: The two KwaZulu-Natal branches were not represented. For the first time a branch was represented by telecon medium (Colin Pretorius “attended” electronically)
3. Acceptance of minutes of previous meeting
4. Call for additional agenda items
5. Acceptance of reports
5.1. President’s report: Although there is still much work to be done, the past year was successful.
5.2. Financial report: GSSA has sufficient funds. GSSA income generated from products sold is 36.65% of the GSSA’s total income. Limited new products are planned for 2008 which can negatively affect the income of the GSSA.
5.3. Specific reports
5.3.1. Technical matters: Webpage (see strategic meeting)
5.4. Projects & Products
5.4.1. Cemetery Recording: Version 6 was released at AGM
5.4.2. Omnibus: See Strategic meeting.
5.5. Branch reports: Each representative gave a résumé on problem areas within their branch. Colin gave input on behalf of eGSSA. The main issues were identified as being aging members & a shortage of competent speakers (especially in smaller centres where there are no universities)
6. Membership fee: Increased to R130/R110 as from 2009 (the full increase was allocated to branches)
7. Election of Office Bearers: All current office bearers were re-elected
8. Application for registration as a non-profit organization: Amendments to the constitution as prescribed in Act No. 71 of 1997 was approved and a revised application is to be submitted.
9. Next AGM: 7 Mar 2009 in Bloemfontein
AGENDA FOR THE GSSA STRATEGIC PLANNING MEETING AT NORTHWEST UNIVERSITY ON 01st MARCH 2008